Elbe River/via auto

dogs4fun

Is there anyone out there with experience in driving from Dresden to Prague? We are thinking along the Elbe - as least as much along the river as practical. It looks like #172 follows the river for quite awhile and, bonus, passes Sachsische National Park (like to spend a few days in this area).  During various visits, we have taken the train from AMS-PRG & we have also cruised the Elbe - never driven this area of the river. Sections along the Elbe are simply gorgeous (as seen from train & cruise) & we would like to spend some time exploring at leisure.  We are hoping to meander along staying when/where we wish.

Anyone done this? Any advice would be gratefully accepted. 

Haven't done it but looks like a lot of fun! We went from Prague to Berlin once but had to take the train due to time constraints. We really wanted to rent a car and drive to Dresden and Saxon Switzerland along the way but maybe another time. Hope this works for you and you get us inspired to do something similar.

Have driven in the Rhine/Moselle area a fair amount. That was hard because it's just so pretty, and you have to pay attention to the road instead of the scenery. So your passenger gets a nice view, and you get to look at the pictures later. My only advice would be to leave yourself lots of time, switch drivers frequently, and don't try to do too much. We always do that, and end up rushing from A to B, missing lots of nice stuff in the middle.

• Like 1

dogs4fun,

that sounds like you really like the area and I am happy to read that you would like to explore it in even more depth. As I have not been to that area of Germany myself I mentioned your plans to a dear lady who has been there. She said that as regards big places to see there is not that much beyond Dresden, but nature galore and hiking country to keep you occupied. The National Park you have mentioned already. The road B127 follows the river but it seems a short stretch and I cannot tell you of course what it is like. Depending on where your journey starts I recommend considering Leipzig and heading towards Bautzen from there. It is the "capital" of the Sorbian people, a state-recognized minority. They speak Sorbian and the road signs in the area are bilingual. Usti nad Labem in the Czech Republic has got some merits and further into the country I recommend (I have been there, but not recently) Plzen, home of Pils beer.

The website for the National Park is nationalpark-saechsische-schweiz.de

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Back in October 2015, we were scheduled to go on a Elbe river cruise with Viking. Unfortunately, the Elbe didn't have enough water for an actual cruise (substituting buses), so we cancelled and rented a car. The car trip was wonderful and we would do it the same way. I can't remember all of the details without searching for all the paper work, but we drove from Prague to Kutna Hora, Bysice, Litomerice, Terezin, Sachsische Schweiz, Pillnitz, and then reached Dresden - an excellent trip with wonderful memories.

7 hours ago, fjordhest said:

Back in October 2015, we were scheduled to go on a Elbe river cruise with Viking. Unfortunately, the Elbe didn't have enough water for an actual cruise (substituting buses), so we cancelled and rented a car. The car trip was wonderful and we would do it the same way. I can't remember all of the details without searching for all the paper work, but we drove from Prague to Kutna Hora, Bysice, Litomerice, Terezin, Sachsische Schweiz, Pillnitz, and then reached Dresden - an excellent trip with wonderful memories.

Thanks - do you remember if you followed the river for the better part of your journey?

Yes, we did follow the river - actually followed the exact route of the Viking cruise but added many more stops. We eventually left the river and drove to Potsdam and on to Berlin where we stayed for a few days. It was one example where a total travel disaster turned into a wonderful adventure. I recommend the drive!