Passport HELP from my fellow HAL cruisers

PRProf

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I always leave it in the safe when going ashore except in a country that requires it. (Russia). On several cruises the cruise line collected our passport and held it. No reason at all to have it with me when going to the beach in the Caribbean. Taking it would actually be silly going to a beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To each his own. I can think of numerous scenarios that might result in a passenger being left behind on a Caribbean island and would necessitate having their passport to fly out at a later time. Cruise lines may well attempt to get the passport from the safe and pass it to the port agent, but I've no idea of the success rate.On the other hand, I've carried my passport when abroad for over seventy years with 100% success, and IMO, leaving it in the ship's safe is sillier than keeping it with me. 

My husband's passport expires 5 months after our cruise. We have one stop in mexico at the end of our hawaiian cruise. Not concerned about US immigration, and per Mexico's rules it should be fine, but HAL won't give us trouble, right? I know airlines have blanket policies that they can refuse to let you board for international flights if your passport doesn't have 6 months left (even if they don't always enforce it). We had to enter our passport info on the purchase and check-in forms and it didn't give an error either time. But reassurances would be much appreciated. 

Best travel advice I have received was here on CC and to leave original passports/valuables/insurance info in the safe while going ashore anywhere unless required by the country to have originals. Have since made our "going ashore wallet" and put laminated copies of front page of current passports, DL, Insurance cert. in  our on shore bag. Just add cash as needed and 1 CC w/a reasonable limit for emergency that can be cancelled while traveling if something goes missing or wonky. Takes the worry out and all originals remain in the safe & retrievable for back up.        

Edited by Crusinsusan2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, faerievert said:

My husband's passport expires 5 months after our cruise. We have one stop in mexico at the end of our hawaiian cruise. Not concerned about US immigration, and per Mexico's rules it should be fine, but HAL won't give us trouble, right? I know airlines have blanket policies that they can refuse to let you board for international flights if your passport doesn't have 6 months left (even if they don't always enforce it). We had to enter our passport info on the purchase and check-in forms and it didn't give an error either time. But reassurances would be much appreciated. 

My cruise confirmations from HAL have always said that the passporrt must be valid 6 months after the end of the cruise (when a passport is required).  

If that is the requirement for your cruise then I would renew that passport that expires in 5 months.  Even if someone has not had a hard time in the past, things change and I have seen and heard of people refused because of their passport expiry.

Better safe than sorry 😉 

On 1/3/2019 at 5:03 PM, YCPProf said:

Just 7 days Razzinger, but I thought you needed a birth certificate to accompany the driver's license? Thanks for your answer.

If you go the birth certificate route, you need a certified one. In Pennsylvania, it's the one with the raised seal. If you decide to order copies from the state of your birth, you may want to consider ordering extra copies. The incremental cost is usually marginal and it's always handy to have extras in case you misplace one. An extra also allows you to keep one on you while traveling. You'll probably never need one, but if you have to go to an embassy for a replacement passport, it's well worth having.

11 minutes ago, POA1 said:

If you go the birth certificate route, you need a certified one. In Pennsylvania, it's the one with the raised seal. If you decide to order copies from the state of your birth, you may want to consider ordering extra copies. The incremental cost is usually marginal and it's always handy to have extras in case you misplace one. An extra also allows you to keep one on you while traveling. You'll probably never need one, but if you have to go to an embassy for a replacement passport, it's well worth having.

The certified copies I received from Pennsylvania in both 2000 and 2016 did not have raised seals. The one I received in 2000 was used to go on several cruises and apply for my passport. Many states no longer provide raised seals.

Another note, Pennsylvania along with many other states will provide free copies of birth certificates to veterans.

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

The certified copies I received from Pennsylvania in both 2000 and 2016 did not have raised seals. The one I received in 2000 was used to go on several cruises and apply for my passport. Many states no longer provide raised seals.

Another note, Pennsylvania along with many other states will provide free copies of birth certificates to veterans.

Good to know. I got my copies in the 1990s. Something a little more high tech than an embosser seems pretty ambitious for Harrisburg. :classic_happy:

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

Good to know. I got my copies in the 1990s. Something a little more high tech than an embosser seems pretty ambitious for Harrisburg. :classic_happy:

I believe it is county specific not Statewide in PA.  Some counties have raised seals in PA. 

8 minutes ago, swin26 said:

I believe it is county specific not Statewide in PA.  Some counties have raised seals in PA. 

All PA replacement birth certificates are handled by an office in New Castle, PA. You can also use VitalChek to obtain PA, as well as many other states, birth certificates. If you are local, you might be able to get a copy in your county office.

10 hours ago, kazu said:

My cruise confirmations from HAL have always said that the passporrt must be valid 6 months after the end of the cruise (when a passport is required).  

If that is the requirement for your cruise then I would renew that passport that expires in 5 months.  Even if someone has not had a hard time in the past, things change and I have seen and heard of people refused because of their passport expiry.

Better safe than sorry 😉 

To faerievert,

Kazu Is right.  I have read persons being denied boarding because of passport expiring.   You are on the February Eurodam cruise to Hawaii.   Go renew the passport with a rush.   Don't try to test HAL enforcement policy.

Peter

To faerievert,   Kazu Is right.  I have read persons being denied boarding because of passport expiring.   You are on the February Eurodam cruise to Hawaii.   Go renew the passport with a rush.   Don't try to test HAL enforcement policy.  

Peter

An unexpired passport if fine for cruises to the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda. No one will be denied boarding because their passport expires 5 months or 5 days after their sailing return date. The six month expiration does not apply for Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

An unexpired passport if fine for cruises to the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda. No one will be denied boarding because their passport expires 5 months or 5 days after their sailing return date. The six month expiration does not apply for Mexico.

Thanks for the reassurance. It's very much appreciated. The fact that the fine print, the state department, and the HAL rep I talked to on the phone all don't care about the 6-month rule (on western hemisphere closed-loop trips, only, of course) ought to have been enough to calm my nerves... but internet-fueled paranoia is hard to assuage.