Anyone ever request Low Sodium Diet

BellaBaci4

Hi All,

I cruised the Escape 14 days after Thanksgiving, I had a wonderful time, but could not tolerate the salty food. I think it was the two week cruise that did me in.Anyway, has anyone ever cruised while requesting a low sodium diet? 
Thanks

On 1/4/2019 at 7:58 PM, BellaBaci4 said:

Hi All,

I cruised the Escape 14 days after Thanksgiving, I had a wonderful time, but could not tolerate the salty food. I think it was the two week cruise that did me in.Anyway, has anyone ever cruised while requesting a low sodium diet? 
Thanks

Yes.

That was one of the things we discussed with the Access Desk.

As with food allergies, there was someone to discuss menu choices in advance. 

So if I/we wanted a particular dish with no salt added, they'd make it the best they could.

Or they could help us decide among the "lower salt" items that were pre-made.

We found them very helpful with any medical situations.

GC

Keep in mind that for many medically-related diets (low sodium, sugar free, gluten free, peanut allergy, etc.), there are likely to be quite a few others with the same medical needs.

All of the major cruise lines are probably prepared for this, but they do need to know in advance.

The way we phrase it is, "Help them, so they can help you".

GC

My mother used to see the next evening's menu while having dinner each evening, and then selecting a choice to be prepared 'low sodium'.   For her other meals, she selected from low sodium foods, herself.   It worked fine for her....

Was on the EPIC, Dec 5-15, and the staff was knowledgeable about low sodium options.  DM is on a low sodium diet and every server knew as they approached the table - we had reservations every evening and the notation was in the computer system both from our initial reservation and my OCD follow-up call to the access desk pre-sailing, just to be certain. 

In all venues, either the waiter or maitre d, advised what they could control verses what was pre-made or purchased. Examples - breakfast potatoes were pre made with salt verses hash browns which were lower sodium.  Chinese food options - is there really a low sodium option? No, but  they made an entree with lower sodium soy sauce.  The pot stickers and egg rolls are purchased pre-made and cooked on board so they weren't an option

I asked about the deciding on your meal 24 hours in advance.  We were in the Haven and I received a call shortly after boarding and was told just tell the maitre d when you arrive.   I think in restaurants other than the Haven, we should have taken CC advice and discussed options and ordered  24 hours in advance as DM complained to me that some sauces were tasteless.   It may or may not have mattered but I think advanced notice to the kitchen would have been better.  

Cagneys handled it very well - advised cooking time would be longer because they use a different grill as theirs is covered in salt.  Was the only restaurant where salt free was an easy option for main and sides and the steak was delicious.     Le Bistro was a fail - the fish was dry and the accompaniment was salty.  In all fairness, we found that any fish we ordered, regardless of venue, to be overcooked and dry. 

Dinner on embarkation night, La Cucina handled it very well - from simple things like shaving a little Parmesan on the pasta appetizer rather than grated Parmesan to a side sauce for the veal Marsala - be prepared for the presentation not to be as pretty or traditional as you might be expecting.   Sorry, she cut into it before the photo 

Beware of hidden salt - prior to her recent dietary restrictions, DMs favorite Haven meal was the lunch entree pork chop which comes with kale and a white sauce.   The low sodium white sauce was still tasty but not as rich as prior but the kale was still beyond delicious.   I asked how it was made - sautéed in butter and pancetta!  The pancetta wasn't visible, it was just for flavor - at least it was unsalted butter. 

DM cheated a bit  on day 7  &  8 of the 10 day and has never had an issue with ankle edema - well she did, even with taking 40 mg  lasix daily.  Even with being very strict on days 9 &10, it took a few days to get back to baseline.  

I am extremely sensitive to salt and eat low sodium by choice and find NCL meals extremely salty - so if salt is an issue for someone, I recommend contacting the access desk and opting for low sodium 

enjoy your cruise

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

I don't add salt to my food, haven't for 50 years.   I notice that some foods tend to be over salted.   Soups are frequently over salted.  We haven't found this to be a huge problem, I think it depends on the chef and what you order.   What I hate is ordering a nice steak and it showing up will a lot of salt.  Usually Italian food is not as salty nor is seafood.  I think it is best to ask the server in advance.

I don't request a low sodium diet per se but I do pick my food choices carefully and it works for me.

No bacon for example. I also know that there is a controversy concerning the ship water vs. bottled

water in terms of sodium but I find it helps to stick to bottled water. I have also asked for no seasoning

on my food and it works fine.

On a recent 15 night cruise, the Exec. Chef was asked during a Q and A session about the seemingly high level of sodium.  He indicated they are very aware of this and have a specific policy to reduce the amount of salt by quite a large %.  More seasonings to maintain taste but less salt.  His answer was very well received.

I'm one whose ankles start to swell on a longer cruise and have been told by the doctor that it's a combination of saltier food and water, richer foods and perhaps a tad too much wine.:classic_wink:  Have prescription med just for cruises!

I've never thought about ordering a special meal in advance but interesting to read how others have handled.  Must say when it comes to those garlic butter-dripping escargots in Le Bistro I don't exactly put on the brakes.:classic_ninja: