Semi-limited Live: Escape to W. Caribbean 14 days Jan 6, 2019

mking8288

3 hours ago, Arzeena said:

... Heard from a CC member who got sick, that NCL did not handle them well ... another one also mentioned about the handling and lack of service in terms of food and water ... quarantine ... do not know all details, just relating what was told.

Yike, quarantine is never pleasant nor the details pretty, unable to go anywhere and all the restrictions ... not the kinds of complimentary services anyone wished for.  

I think we're pretty sure a # of fellow passengers on our deck - seldom left their staterooms during the week, although we're not 98% sure ... with FS Dailies on the mail slot, Room Service tray left outside the door for pickup, etc.  Plus, two or more NCL crew dressed in white, full Level D Hazmat PPE running Hepa vacuum cleaner down the hallway from us, maybe 20 cabins toward midship, mid/late evening during week 2.  

Footnote: after the RCL's decision to cancel one of their Caribbean cruise & return to homeport a day early, was a bit concerned that we might be faced with the same ... but, luckily, crew's hard containment work paid off.  You might recalled that on Day 12, after we left Cozumel/MX ... we're really moving at nearly top speed of 22 to 24 knots, until we coast slower nearly South Florida, also possibly to get ahead of the storm systems & weather fronts.  

Just checked, Escape has docked at San Juan, PR this afternoon - stop #1 on its South Carib itinerary, on live webcam.  That's good ... as no news is good news, that Noro should be behind them - seasonal flu activities on land trending up/higher, as I get those DOH data for NY, as subscribers to HAN.  

31 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Just checked, Escape has docked at San Juan, PR this afternoon - stop #1 on its South Carib itinerary, on live webcam.  That's good ... as no news is good news, that Noro should be behind them ...

I’m on Escape now. Honestly I would have preferred RCCL approach affecting next passengers less.

Our embarkation was delayed, cabins were “ready” (missing all the linen, towels, etc, and mattresses propped up against the wall) several hours after that, room stewards got beds made only late in the evening, also all behind the scenes crew tied up with sanitizing so that we got luggage only after going to bed, pre-purchased items were delivered to cabin over 24hrs late, etc, etc.

All spreading prevention measures are still in effect at full force and a lot of people are unhappy, complaining and not following instructions for example for the sanitation waiting periods at tables in the buffet.

However all the daily announcements about the outbreak refer only to cases on previous cruise, not on this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demonyte said:

I’m on Escape now. Honestly I would have preferred RCCL approach affecting next passengers less.

Our embarkation was delayed, cabins were “ready” (missing all the linen, towels, etc, and mattresses propped up against the wall) several hours after that, room stewards got beds made only late in the evening, also all behind the scenes crew tied up with sanitizing so that we got luggage only after going to bed, pre-purchased items were delivered to cabin over 24hrs late, etc, etc.

All spreading prevention measures are still in effect at full force and a lot of people are unhappy, complaining and not following instructions for example for the sanitation waiting periods at tables in the buffet.

However all the daily announcements about the outbreak refer only to cases on previous cruise, not on this one.

Thanks for reporting. Stay healthy and have a great cruise.

What time did you finally leave NYC?

Yeah I know some will always complain about the slightest of inconvenience but I was very impressed with the cleaning crew. I would not be surprised if they were putting in 24 hours of work during the outbreak. I even saw shore excursion and photography people being pulled in to serve at the buffet because the regulars were called in for extra sanitization duty. Everywhere it smelt "clean".

Henry,

I just booked MSC Seaside for 6/22. Wondering if I should kick myself with the stupid experiences I have had on MSC! LOL!:classic_ohmy::classic_rolleyes::classic_smile: But #1. CANNOT refuse a cruise even on a canoe and #2. RJ was bent on cruising that tanker and now daughter has also jumped in because of "big" ship, Bahamas and no flying (for her).
I got a good enough rate. $3000 for two adjoining balconies.

@Demonyte - appreciate the latest live update and best wishes to everyone onboard for a safe and pleasant sailing for the coming days, with the virus & whatever lurking contained, eradicated or destroyed, etc. etc.   

Infection control measures aren't effective - and won't work - when folks ignored it.  Inconvenience and delays are part of the collateral prices paid but I'll accept that instead of getting sick, literally to the stomach & confined to sick bay or in isolation ward.  Bringing the ship in earlier than scheduled could've help given the crew extra time to do a deep cleansing, passing CDC inspection itself shoud not be the goal, just to rush the ship out to sea again, if they aren't ready.  CC's forum website acting up also didn't help one bit, had matters gotten worst as it would be quite a challenge to get the words out to the 5% while at sea over satellite, until the next port.  I was set to tweet things out instead, as an alternate - fortunately, it seemed to be "managed" between the 2% and 3% threshold (striking somewhere between 120 to 180+ passengers & crews ... with an estimated 4,300 pax and 1,700 crews & officers)  

For the latter part of our 2 weeks cruise, staffing level in the MDR seemed to be impacted slightly & housekeeping running behind the clock too ... coffeemaker disappeared first for cleaning, then, the tray & ice bucket taken away, leaving everyone with glasses ... and, yes, the smell of (diluted) bleach everywhere.   I actually started a standalone post on possible Noro onboard the Escape for CC, just in case ... to keep the discussion apart.  

P.S. There are a # of recent threads/posts on these acute viruses - for nearly a decade, I worked in ambulatory care side of a major health system & know the exposure risks are far greater elsewhere.  We are now approaching seasonal flu's peak period and suffice to say, I heard quite a bit of coughing all over the ship & an outbreak could be just as bad. 

Edited by mking8288

@Arzeena - Congrats & that's quite a steal for 2 adjourning balcony, they are bigger/roomier & you probably don't need to bid for an upgrade.  A # of NCL junkies had been bailing over to MSC - I just read some recent report of studies, putting them toward the lower end of a scale - but, seeing & doing it yourself is the key to discovering the facts & truth yourself.  Go for it - besides, they "status" match you and that's a good thing and let me know if you are going to review it (or, someone else)

One of my nephew that just got married had sailed NCL before, and wanted to sail from Miami to see different Caribbean ports, and Uncle H obviously got called to assist them in planning their delayed honeymooning plans - guest what, I steered them to MSC Seaside vs. one of the BA/+ ships out of Florida, for a variety of factors, including bundled prices & packages available, etc. 

Never, never kick yourself and don't get on RJ's case ... besides, didn't I tell you that we are thankful everything we cruise, "subsidized" by our nice dividends from the other major cruiseline that we invested a small portion of our fund portfolio.  Blind loyalty to a brand doesn't hurt but nice to rise above the horizon & look beyond.  

• Like 1

A few Screenshots about using the new Norwegian App onboard the Escape - it's pretty self-explanatory.  FYI - for iPhones/smartphones with battery-unfriendly oversized/jumbo screens, this App running in the background will speed up the drain on the battery.   I used my Nexus/Google Fi enabled - Moto G6 with an integrated battery case with 7,100+ maH that doubled my standby & heavy usage time, so it lasted all day long into the evening before I need to put it back on quck/fast Turbo-charging.  Have a spare/backup USB-powered battery pack or other source for a boost, if you use yours like me as a PDA and for its camera functions.  

The App will be connected to the ship's WiFi inTRAnet, no charges or time/MB data are deducted - important if you are on the 250 "free" minutes basic plan & don't plan on upgrading $$ to the unlimited plans - trading it for the social media is NOT an option ("asked" & got the answer @ the iCafe manager's desk)   If you have the 30 or 60 minutes perk as Latitude Platinum/Plus, those have zero trade-up value and cannot be combined/merged together - use them up as standalone, then - select the other packages as shown on your device's signed-in "home" screen. 

For those that wished to call or text each other (registered & activated paid users) on the ship, the Phone & Messenger function, was, even for 14 days - a flat rate of $14.95 - thus, you cannot use it to dial 00 or make a Specialty Dining reservation, unless you paid & activated your device (and, unlike WiFi minutes/data - you cannot transfer or share it among different devices ... based on MAC addresses) 

If you did not download & pre-install the "Norwegian" App before boarding, not to worry - you get a free 10 minutes allowance to do it over the ship's WiFi network, at no charge.  Do this, those few remaining "unused" minutes are yours to keep to use to browse, quick check on emails, etc. (that's my bonus insider's tips for the month ... keep this "discrete loophole" quietly, please !!)  All together, we have a total of 330 minutes "free" to use for our 2 weeks, mostly while at sea and nowhere near a non-US port of call, as we have Google (Project) Fi cellular coverage, VPN-secured ... and, on the hunt for an open, unsecured WiFi network with security risks.  

Speed-wise, it was good, not blazing fast, but with cache & compression, getting 3 to 4 MB per minute in transfer speed is quite acceptable.  To ration & meter the minutes wasn't easy, having a laptop/notebook (or Chromebook) made it much better, download & open multiple "tabs", go offline, read & compose, re-connect & go online, send & logoff again.  Not fun at all if doing all these on a tablet/iPad ... let alone on a smartphone.  

Each time you sign-in and out, the summary screen is displayed or easily available to monitor your usage, and to see the "meter" on what was consumed.  Toward the middle/end of this cruise, I realized that my minutes were running low - no thanks to CC being down when I tried to post updates - so drastically cut back, as noted.  The 30 minutes disembarkation plan is only offered on the final sea day, for $20 - and should be sufficient if we needed a little extra and not too bad (that's 66 cents a minute) ... had I waited until 9:59 PM on Day 4 of our 14 Days to trade-upgrade to the unlimited premimum non-streaming plan, it would've cost at least $175 more, depending on they pro-rate & apply any discounts, etc. 

Hangouts & Google Voice did NOT work on our basic WiFi minutes, as intended, for VoIP calling - but Ooma's (voice) calling App worked, using the line's CID, as if I'm calling from the home/office.  FaceTime or FB Messenger worked or not - sorry, I cannot vouch for/against - didn't get to "test" it, posting to FB itself, worked great with the given speed.  Once we're on DigiCel or TelCel/MoviStar's cellular networks, we're good with "Fi" displayed, rates & usage billed at the same rates like being on "home" carrier's networks ... data caps is max'd out when it exceed $60 for the month's billing cycle (and, not throttled to 3G or 2G)

Cisco hardware deployed on the ship - I recommend configuring your devices to take advantage of the less congested 5 Ghz band, coverage & signals solid - bow to stern on the Escape.  Still, expect it to be slightly sluggish during periods of high demands in usage, i.e. on last sea day, still usable & I experienced no dropped connections - of course, YMMV and this isn't necessary applicable for streaming, high bandwidth use, etc. 

Collage 2019-01-23 21_33_51.jpg

Collage 2019-01-23 21_38_46.jpg

Collage 2019-01-23 21_41_20.jpg

Collage 2019-01-23 21_24_34.jpg

Collage 2019-01-23 21_32_36.jpg

Edited by mking8288

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

@Arzeena - Congrats & that's quite a steal for 2 adjourning balcony, they are bigger/roomier & you probably don't need to bid for an upgrade.  A # of NCL junkies had been bailing over to MSC - I just read some recent report of studies, putting them toward the lower end of a scale - but, seeing & doing it yourself is the key to discovering the facts & truth yourself.  Go for it - besides, they "status" match you and that's a good thing and let me know if you are going to review it (or, someone else)

One of my nephew that just got married had sailed NCL before, and wanted to sail from Miami to see different Caribbean ports, and Uncle H obviously got called to assist them in planning their delayed honeymooning plans - guest what, I steered them to MSC Seaside vs. one of the BA/+ ships out of Florida, for a variety of factors, including bundled prices & packages available, etc. 

Never, never kick yourself and don't get on RJ's case ... besides, didn't I tell you that we are thankful everything we cruise, "subsidized" by our nice dividends from the other major cruiseline that we invested a small portion of our fund portfolio.  Blind loyalty to a brand doesn't hurt but nice to rise above the horizon & look beyond.  

We'll be on that MSC trip plus 3/23 Seaside.  We'll post pics but not sure how live as we have some internet on one trip and other I'd have to check. I'm expecting them both to be great.  Our Divinia trip was superb.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, mking8288 said:

I have been on the Divina and the ship is beautiful...no one can beat that! but the organization....oh man!🤣 But that was the beginning and hopefully all will be good! I am also on an MSC repo cruise out of NYC this October....I like that itinerary.

I will not do a review but will email you when I get back. The best CC reviewer is on board and I read all of their reviews! (Dexdd). I am sure they will do some kind of a "live"? hopefully?

Edited by Arzeena

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

We'll be on that MSC trip plus 3/23 Seaside.  We'll post pics but not sure how live as we have some internet on one trip and other I'd have to check. I'm expecting them both to be great.  Our Divinia trip was superb.

I saw your name on the roll call!

Looking forward to meeting the person whose reviews I always read and enjoy and use as a reference point.

Will appreciate all your "what to expect and what not" posts.

Edited by Arzeena

Is there a thread for general chat about the NCL Escape Jan. 6, 2019 sailing (or is this it?)? I feel like I would be hijacking someone's conversation here and don't want to change the subject, if you know what I mean. 

This was my 10th cruise, but I am new to CC. I would love any pointers on getting to know how this community works.

Thanks!

Edited by MarkCanada

16 hours ago, mking8288 said:

don't plan on upgrading $$ to the unlimited plans - trading it for the social media is NOT an option ("asked" & got the answer @ the iCafe manager's desk)   

Thank you very much for this review; in particular, I have been trying to find out if I can upgrade the 250 free minutes to the social plan and finally I have my answer (not what I was hoping but at least I know)! But do you happen to have noticed the on-board prices of the other internet plans? I've seen posts with the prices but they were for 7-night cruises. I believe that I would get $125 towards either the basic or premium unlimited plans and I would like to know if it's better financially for me to upgrade to the basic unlimited onboard or just buy the social plan online before I go -- social is all I need but whatever is cheapest wins!

Thank you!

Edited by BabyJane8

1 hour ago, MarkCanada said:

Is there a thread for general chat about the NCL Escape Jan. 6, 2019 sailing (or is this it?)?  ... This was my 10th cruise, but I am new to CC. I would love any pointers on getting to know how this community works.

Thanks!

Hi, Mark from Canada & a belated welcome as a relative newcomer to CC - you are now part of this diverse community, feel free to chat along a bit - or, resume on the other (different) thread I started, just in case, on acute Noro incidents onboard that we came home to laugh about a bit (as I see you commented on it)  I don't believed you knew and/or joined us for the Roll Call and/or Meet & Mingle, or else, you would've connected names, faces & learn who's who behind the masks (besides Charlie, who ran the Slot Pull & a few others ... LOL - but he is still on the Escape, although they did send everyone else & him along to walk on the pier last Sunday) ...  

DW and I book this cruise rather "late" but not last minute, with a very active Roll Call going, lead by Arzeena - link is here, you can read & get a feel for what it was like ...   We had a # of Canadians on the sailing as I'm sure you probably knew.  

I've done a # of "Semi Live" reviews in the last few years, learning & adopting from others, and tried to use pictures to illustrate to help tell some, part of the bigger stories - and comment & speak on my (biased) points of views - trying to avoid more controversial opinions like food - and generally tried to include from useful tips, info and answer FAQ that I've seen asked more often, to make it helpful & practical to others ... on the main decks (for the Haven's angle, look elsewhere as that's not our focus)

Feel free to bring up & respond, comment or share your thoughts on the sailing here.  I am not sure if anyone else on this sailing are doing a write-up besides yours truly.  And, of course, you can start a new thread with your brief/detailed review, thoughts & whatever - it is fine to reference something raised here or discussed, if you are afraid others are seen as being off-topic or getting hi-jacked.  I'm cool with it - and Arzeena probably feel the same way, I think I can speak to her approach ... some observations & topics are more "sensitive" in nature and we're mindful & respectful of.  Worst case, we can chat offline and/or propose moving the topic(s) and/or subject matters in question to a "new" thread on its own ... kind of, what I did, with the Noro incident, as sometimes, it can spark quite a bit of heated "debate" (and, the matter isn't over based on the post yesterday by someone on the Escape's current sailing.)  

One more screenshot for telecomm/tech geeks as background n reference data. 

For those wondering about T-Mo coverage in these ports, the rates & info can be seen below on 1 of our backup prepaid line (you will be [roaming] on Digicel or Movistar with a cellular network-compatible smartphone or iPad with the "enabled" LTE or HSPA+ band(s) ... These results are on one of our dual-sim global travel Android smartphone, factory unlocked - not optimized for U.S. carriers but elsewhere, it's a gem.  Keys to preparation is to learn, understand & research the ports and know the capabilities of what you are brining along & using in the ports - onboard this & other NCL ships, a dual-band WiFi smartphone will suffice (I recommend 5Ghz for less congestion)

Collage 2019-01-24 10_54_50.jpg

A side note/reminder about non-US ports, even when "tethered" to the ship with an unlimited, premium streaming plan - it is only useful and good when you are on the ship & possibly while standing on the dock/pier if you can lock in a good WiFi signal.  You will still need something else to stay connected - most of "us" get free/low-cost coverage in Mexico/Canada & possibly Alaska,  but not necessary true in various specific Carribean islands, Bahamas & Bermuda.  Plan ahead & learn/ask the proper questions before sailing - first from one's home carrier (usually, they have a global or international support desk and/or toll-free hotline to call in from abroad ...) 

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, BabyJane8 said:

... But do you happen to have noticed the on-board prices of the other internet plans? I've seen posts with the prices but they were for 7-night cruises. I believe that I would get $125 towards either the basic or premium unlimited plans and I would like to know if it's better financially for me to upgrade to the basic unlimited onboard or just buy the social plan online before I go -- social is all I need but whatever is cheapest wins! 

I thought I've posted screenshots & pix of the various WiFi prices for the 14 days earlier, I can do that again if necessary, but FWIW ... 

For a typical 7 nights cruise, you have until 10 PM of Day 2 to upgrade & get the unlimited plan.  For our 14 nights cruise, the deadline is extended by 2 days, until 10 PM of Day 4 to upgrade & convert to the unlimited plan.  Only the FAS 250 minutes promo has a trade-up value at $125 - all this can be DIY when signed into digitalseas.io (that's the URL used) with one's info ... lines at the iCafe desk when the manager was on duty, was rather long - really unnecessary, IMHO.  Charges are posted to one's OnBoard account, and if you have any sort of refundable & non-refundable OBC to use, wait until you are on the ship - as you cannot use it with advance booking (it's discounted, good for someone with zero OBC expected).

The 100 and 250 minutes plan are priced the same - and the 30 minutes plan is only offered on the last full Sea Day & it wasn't even promoted or advertised on our 14 days - log into the account & it's there.  

Prices for the premium non-streaming plan for 14 days are based on a daily rate of $25 and for the streaming unlimited plan, higher by $5 or $30 per day - for the entire duration, you cannot buy it for 5 nights.  I am not sure about getting this on day 3 or day 4 and whether extra savings can be given/deducted - it was something that I wasn't planning for and considered getting.  I knew my 310 to 320+ minutes would be very tight for 10+ nights, but with 5 or 6 of those in ports, roaming cellular coverage was my primary mode & assurance to stay connected, somehow, and in case of truly "urgent" matters - other plans to fall back upon, for some calls & SMS/text messaging.  Staying connected 24/7 was not a priority nor essential as a requirement - and, in case of real emergencies, the costs no longer a key consideration ... just getting thru is priority #1.  

Here's my math for you - without accounting for possible discounts & savings, which you can always speak to the iCafe manager onboard about - worst case, s/he say no & denied.  For 14 days, social media is $15 ($14.95 rounded up) x 14 = $210.  Premium non-streaming is $25 a day ($24.95 rounded up, for shorter/7 days - it's $29.95/day) x 14 = $350 less a $125 trade-up credit, thus, net cost is $225 or only $15 more than the social media option.  

If you are doing one of the upcoming 12 or 14 nights saiing, ask about trading up with your 250 plan/package & see whether you can get a break and only pay ($210 - $125) $85 extra instead of full price, or get it for 2 less days by doing it ... on Day 2, 3 or 4 as permitted.  

Lastly, check & compare the option online as booked - do the math.  Keep in mind the system doesn't take any OBC or offset it with credits for the 250 plan, in advance.  Prices are subject to change without notice, I remain doubtful it will be lowered in the months ahead - loved to be proven wrong, but trending suggesting, to me, otherwise.  Good luck & do let us know how it go post-cruise.  

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

I thought I've posted screenshots & pix of the various WiFi prices for the 14 days earlier, I can do that again if necessary, but FWIW ... 

For a typical 7 nights cruise, you have until 10 PM of Day 2 to upgrade & get the unlimited plan.  For our 14 nights cruise, the deadline is extended by 2 days, until 10 PM of Day 4 to upgrade & convert to the unlimited plan.  Only the FAS 250 minutes promo has a trade-up value at $125 - all this can be DIY when signed into digitalseas.io (that's the URL used) with one's info ... lines at the iCafe desk when the manager was on duty, was rather long - really unnecessary, IMHO.  Charges are posted to one's OnBoard account, and if you have any sort of refundable & non-refundable OBC to use, wait until you are on the ship - as you cannot use it with advance booking (it's discounted, good for someone with zero OBC expected).

The 100 and 250 minutes plan are priced the same - and the 30 minutes plan is only offered on the last full Sea Day & it wasn't even promoted or advertised on our 14 days - log into the account & it's there.  

Prices for the premium non-streaming plan for 14 days are based on a daily rate of $25 and for the streaming unlimited plan, higher by $5 or $30 per day - for the entire duration, you cannot buy it for 5 nights.  I am not sure about getting this on day 3 or day 4 and whether extra savings can be given/deducted - it was something that I wasn't planning for and considered getting.  I knew my 310 to 320+ minutes would be very tight for 10+ nights, but with 5 or 6 of those in ports, roaming cellular coverage was my primary mode & assurance to stay connected, somehow, and in case of truly "urgent" matters - other plans to fall back upon, for some calls & SMS/text messaging.  Staying connected 24/7 was not a priority nor essential as a requirement - and, in case of real emergencies, the costs no longer a key consideration ... just getting thru is priority #1.  

Here's my math for you - without accounting for possible discounts & savings, which you can always speak to the iCafe manager onboard about - worst case, s/he say no & denied.  For 14 days, social media is $15 ($14.95 rounded up) x 14 = $210.  Premium non-streaming is $25 a day ($24.95 rounded up, for shorter/7 days - it's $29.95/day) x 14 = $350 less a $125 trade-up credit, thus, net cost is $225 or only $15 more than the social media option.  

If you are doing one of the upcoming 12 or 14 nights saiing, ask about trading up with your 250 plan/package & see whether you can get a break and only pay ($210 - $125) $85 extra instead of full price, or get it for 2 less days by doing it ... on Day 2, 3 or 4 as permitted.  

Lastly, check & compare the option online as booked - do the math.  Keep in mind the system doesn't take any OBC or offset it with credits for the 250 plan, in advance.  Prices are subject to change without notice, I remain doubtful it will be lowered in the months ahead - loved to be proven wrong, but trending suggesting, to me, otherwise.  Good luck & do let us know how it go post-cruise.  

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed reply! I do apologize if you posted the prices earlier -- that's what comes from reading the posts late at night on a small tablet.... I will price everything out but at first glance I might bite the bullet and buy the social package online beforehand as it's listed as $175 at this point (we sail Feb 3 on a 14-night). I'll look everything over again and decide next week. Sadly, I find that the customer service is not very helpful as they don't seem to know and they won't state what the prices would be onboard. But I really appreciate your input!

On 1/24/2019 at 10:09 AM, Arzeena said:

I have been on the Divina and the ship is beautiful...no one can beat that! but the organization....oh man!🤣 But that was the beginning and hopefully all will be good! I am also on an MSC repo cruise out of NYC this October....I like that itinerary.

I will not do a review but will email you when I get back. The best CC reviewer is on board and I read all of their reviews! (Dexdd). I am sure they will do some kind of a "live"? hopefully?

You're making me blush, I'm really not that good.  I just pick up on various things as I wonder around the ship from bar to bar, restaurant to restaurant.  On the other hand, MKing does a very well, organized review and even this time around he said he'd try to keep it to the minimum but with 8 good pages of info, that is still quite a bit of work. 

See you in June.  While there is a ton of pictures and notes about the Seaside, if there is anything you want me to check on when we go in 56 days in March, let me know on the roll call.

MKing - sorry for the hijack.  Why not join us in June?  You also have the option in October with a couple Meraviglia sailings from NYC.  There are some regular NCL'ers sailing MSC for the first time then.  We also have Meraviglia booked next March - it looks like a great ship.

The nails in the NCL coffin are numerous for us.  Luckily, other than Platinum Plus status and one cruisenext certificate, we don't have much skin in the game anymore.

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

You're making me blush, I'm really not that good.  I just pick up on various things as I wonder around the ship from bar to bar, restaurant to restaurant.  On the other hand, MKing does a very well, organized review and even this time around he said he'd try to keep it to the minimum but with 8 good pages of info, that is still quite a bit of work. 

See you in June.  While there is a ton of pictures and notes about the Seaside, if there is anything you want me to check on when we go in 56 days in March, let me know on the roll call.

MKing - sorry for the hijack.  Why not join us in June?  You also have the option in October with a couple Meraviglia sailings from NYC.  There are some regular NCL'ers sailing MSC for the first time then.  We also have Meraviglia booked next March - it looks like a great ship.

The nails in the NCL coffin are numerous for us.  Luckily, other than Platinum Plus status and one cruisenext certificate, we don't have much skin in the game anymore.

Henry:   Listen to the gurus, Henry! Will hopefully see you and Mrs M on both MSC cruises.:classic_biggrin:
Mrs. M are you are reading this?????

Thanks Dexdd. I am reading those boards. But I am wondering how to reserve shows. You can let me know via our roll call, so we do not hijack this thread. No seriously, I read many of your posts/reviews. And Henry's too. And had the pleasure of cruising with him this January.

Edited by Arzeena

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

MKing - Why not join us in June?  You also have the option in October with a couple Meraviglia sailings from NYC.  There are some regular NCL'ers sailing MSC for the first time then.  We also have Meraviglia booked next March - it looks like a great ship.

The nails in the NCL coffin are numerous for us.  Luckily, other than Platinum Plus status and one cruisenext certificate ... 

Ha ha, not a problem going off-tangent, I must just start stalking over at MSC more in the weeks ahead ... I did look into their offers a little for our nephew (they are flying home today - with their luck - probably caught in the FAA air traffic (TRACON) mess in the busiest N.E. Potomac corridor) & going to get briefed from them.  Going to check out the next one your are on this Marc.  We are open for just about anything these days and Fall ones (repo ?) might just be a good fit ... since we can just book, pack & go on short notice and without neededing to get vacation plans signed off anymore.  Mrs. M isn't opposed to options especially when MSC will status match. 

Chaddy is going on vacation in April - although it didn't sound like J and she are planning to bail & switch, never say never, LOL.  

I don't see the premium values on NCL vs. other lines and taken the stand to pursue more specialty dining, the shorex prices are ridiculous (to offset their FAS $50 per port "credit") and we might just book the next NCL on the dirt cheap SailAway scheme & skip the WiFi thing entirely ... be a post-cruise, "not" Live pix review (i.e. N.E. / Canada or even Alaska, as those are well-covered & written by others)  If we can nail down a good deal & bundle to do the Bliss and/or Joy, we will still make it a "go" at least once.  Can easily get rid of our CruiseNext certificates if we wanted to. 

Now, sort of back on topics: on NCL dining, for a moment.  As much as my position is that food review & opinions are highly subjective and personal in nature.  Both of us can affirm trending not in a good way as we ate in the MDR in 12 out of 14 nights.  We joked that we're fine with some of the entree servings being perfect like the old "Cooking Light"series a decade ago ... but, some of the portions, i.e. pasta & shrimp, were just plain no better than sized for Weight Watchers.  I was better off staying away from red meat, sticking with fish - and, salmon (if and when it was available - dinner & lunch) ... okay, "ranting" done on this controversial topic/area that I try hard to not dig into.  I already tossed in my monkey wrench on another thread about eating at O'Sheehan's.  There are enough photos I've posted/uploaded before for fellow CC "readers" to view, consider & decide for themselves ... frankly, neither Susan & I believed we could've spotted the not so-subtle changes in 8 or 9 weeks since last Halloween.  

Dexddd & Arzeena, "hear ya" and when it's time to pull the trigger, you would know ... of course, alert/page me if you got the insider's tip/deal of the year since, our rollerboards are always 50% packed & ready to go, passports are current & if ship is leaving from NY, we are typically 30 minutes ride away.  

I was hoping you could answer a question for me.  We leave next Sunday and want to purchase the social media package for our daughter, it’s 175.00....would you recommend purchasing now, or waiting until we sail.  Thanks!  Jenn

My apologies- I just read your response above, no need to reply.  We’ve been following your feed, which has been so helpful, so I thank you for taking the time to post everything.  Jenn

Edited by emmasmom123
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Dexddd & Arzeena, "hear ya" and when it's time to pull the trigger, you would know ... of course, alert/page me if you got the insider's tip/deal of the year since, our rollerboards are always 50% packed & ready to go, passports are current & if ship is leaving from NY, we are typically 30 minutes ride away.  

Not an insider deal, but a great one. And I did not see this on their website or a TA site.. reached it via good friend google. Actually RJ found it.  I will email you. But get the status match done asap. They are excruciatingly slow in the days I did ours.

Ok now Pack those bags!:classic_biggrin:

Did I mention I booked 2 rooms under one reservation and it seems I got an extra 25% over 5% + 25% off.

Back to NCL:    I had salmon or roast chicken every time I went to the MDR.  It was pretty good.  Had  7 speacilty dinner (2 PP vouchers, 4 in dining perk + 1 complimentary specialty. I did not starve to death LOL!:classic_biggrin: I enjoyed Teppanyaki...more for  the pleasure of other cruisers' company than the food itself. We went there two times. Lucked out once with excellent company, the other time was like attending a funeral...no one spoke or replied to our attempts at breaking the ice!🤐

Edited by Arzeena

On 1/26/2019 at 2:27 PM, Arzeena said:

... RJ found it.  I will email you. But get the status match done asap. They are excruciatingly slow in the days I did ours. Ok now Pack those bags!:classic_biggrin: ... 

Back to NCL:   ... did not starve to death LOL! :classic_biggrin: I enjoyed Teppanyaki ...

Well, if it's a "Deal" - easy to stuff the remaining 50% into the rollerboard ...  Started checking out options as Susan has been on my case & we're just checking out a YT video on the Bliss doing its recent Panama run.  Got some JetBlue "points" or credits that we can use - those inflexible NCL "Free Air" is (IMHO) not a deal in many instances to us.  

I think we might just get that Status Match going soon ...

It should be interesting to read what the folks on the current Escape will say, once they get back, or the next run - doing the West Carib again. 

11 hours ago, dexddd said:

MSC has two 10 nighters in October to Canada then a 13 nighter to Miami to then do some Miami runs East/West ... 

We might just be targeting the October ones ... stay tuned.  And, their basic internet with 3.5GB is included, at no extra charge - that'll work for me.  Mrs. M will be very happy to spend her sea days on the balcony as her Plan B.  

On a related note, looking at how much satellite WiFi data we used, I am surprised that for the 290 minutes on one log-in, nearly 1.3 GB worth of data was used (average 4MB per minute) ... it wasn't fast by not exactly slow either, latency was high - unlike the system deployed/used by Royal ships.  

Images/pictures - I uploaded 2 batches of cruise pix (mostly from the port stops) to share on the Member Gallery, folders under my signature/CC ID - some of them are quite nice, good for use as "wallpapers" on home/lock screens, on the PC, etc. here's the link to find them -

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/gallery/album/180-ncl-escape-ny-to-w-caribbean-jan-2019-ports/?sortby=image_views&sortdirection=desc

More will get posted this week, when I find time to sort them out, enjoy ... best to "Chromecast" them on a bigger display monitor.  

Freestyle Dailies - I kept all 14 days worth, including some of the (not so useful) Port & Shopping Guide (in case, anyone is looking for how to find D.I.)  - with 4 to 6 pages a day X 14 days, it's slow going to feed into the desktop scanner.  With just 1 more run on this route this winter, not rushing to do this - if someone following has a specific question or request, please post & I will figure something out, instead of cluttering up the pages.  

Lastly, I will take a little time to reflect & sum up with the final thoughts on this sailing - and, be around to answer other questions, etc. etc. 

Collage 2019-01-28 00_11_58.jpg

Edited by mking8288