Manhattan, NY port

moeferg

1 hour ago, moeferg said:

Any tips on parking, overnight hotels with free shuttles, ect...

A good tip on parking, is don't park there. Also, I wouldn't get hooked in by "free" hotel shuttles. They really aren't that common down there. Plus, you might also pay a ton looking for that perk. An Uber/Lyft pool is often under $10 for 2 people. We were in NY last week and used it a bunch. The subway is also another good option, especially if you are near all of the connections. It is about $3 per person.

• Like 1

It’s about a 6 hour drive, traffic in the NYC metro area gets heavy at rush hour. Your best bet would probably be to drive an hour out where parking is free, and drive your last hour the morning of the cruise. Parking is $40 a night. Or, find a NJ hotel with a package (there’s not many).

7 hours ago, moeferg said:

Yes, I see that it was moved, thanks ! Ya, I was thinking parking at the docs may be the best options. How was the traffic getting there? I will be coming from Pittsburgh.

We came from Maryland on a Saturday morning and traffic was light

Sat/Sun mornings traffic should be light.
If you are coming in on a weekday plan on arriving after 10am to get the tail end of rush hour.

As always when driving, build in a cushion.  I have been on a couple of road trips where the interstate was closed due to accidents and we have lost 1-2 hours due to traffic and detours around the closure.

Stay over in Jersey, the Hilton Garden Inn has a package that allows you to leave you car there and they will take you and pick you up at the port. The cost of parking at the port or anywhere in NYC is almost the cost of the room. If you decide to park in the city stay as close as you can. The Jersey turnpike can be a toss up when it come to traffic.

OP, I'll be interested to learn what you finally work out, and how it was.

We have driven to the Brooklyn port; not a fun trip.

We have taken an overnight bus to Manhattan a couple of times, with a hotel stay mid-town the night before the cruise.

We now only sail out of Baltimore (drive there), or Fort Lauderdale (fly there), as it is so much easier than getting to any NY port. However, we'd love to be able to do NY sailings again, but only if getting there is comfortable.