2 days in Singapore - tours or see the sights on our own

cruising in

We are two full days in Singapore prior to our cruise.  Our hotel is the Oasia downtown which is very near an mrt station. This forum has really helped us too know what there is to see and do.  Would we be best to book a tour or two, or just see the sights on our own.  Any tour suggestions?

We enjoyed the HOHO that gave us a great overview of Singapore. The next few days we then used the MRT to get to where we knew we wanted to go. 

Also take the MRT to Lau Pa Sat for their nighttime (starts at 6:00pm) street BBQ...Google to see what you don't want to miss...So good we went two nights..best Satay ever !!!!

Take the MRT to the Botanical Gardens.  Very pretty.  You can also do a lot on your own.  Gardens by the Bay, Chinatown, Little India, etc.

We got a 2 day MRT pass and it was good to take to the airport when we were ready to leave and there is a booth there to refund the balance and the card.

About the MRT, we did something different this time around. While we stood there in front of the ticket machine, looking confused, a staff came over and asked if we needed help. She suggested that instead of getting the one-day pass, we should consider getting the EZlink. The cost for each ride is almost like half price of paying individually for each trip (a chart showing the difference was posted) and better value than the one-day pass. There is a service/deposit charge but she said it is still worth it. The card is valid for five years and you can top it off if money on the card is running low. I am pretty sure we would be going back to Singapore within the next five years. 

7 hours ago, ROCruiser said:

About the MRT, we did something different this time around. While we stood there in front of the ticket machine, looking confused, a staff came over and asked if we needed help. She suggested that instead of getting the one-day pass, we should consider getting the EZlink. The cost for each ride is almost like half price of paying individually for each trip (a chart showing the difference was posted) and better value than the one-day pass. There is a service/deposit charge but she said it is still worth it. The card is valid for five years and you can top it off if money on the card is running low. I am pretty sure we would be going back to Singapore within the next five years. 

We did that also, we have a card we bought in 2015, used it again last September for the day on a cruise and are heading back this November and will use it again, I think we still have about $30 on it, so will withdraw the balance this time as it will have expired by the time we get back there.

Such a great system, to the OP, we have never done a tour in Singapore, we have a bucket list to see and tick something off everytime we visit.

Next on the list for November, we have 3 days prior to a cruise.......

Botanic Gardens, Fort Canning Battle Box (WW2 history), a free walking tour of Little India, Sentosa Island, The Pinnacle @ Duxton for views and another visit to Gardens by the Bay.

Previous visits we have done Kampon Glam walk, Orchard Road, River cruise, Gardens by the Bay Cloud Dome and Symphony light show, light show on the river, Bugis markets, China town,  drinks at the bar at the top of Marina Bay Sands, a fish spa, the Singapore flyer, River walk, Clarke Quay, Changi Museum.........and the Changi Airport, that is a day in itself haha!!

Plus all the different places we eat, mostly Hawker centres, could go back every year and find something new.

40 minutes ago, cruising in said:

Thank you all.  You confirmed my thoughts about doing Singapore on our own.  We can’t wait to get there!

An added bonus in visiting Singapore is that it is an exception to most other Asian countries in that it is clean clean clean.

So clean in fact, that you could eat off the inside of a public dunny bowl at the metro stations and not get sick, how about that!

Edited by Bpos

We have eaten in small family run oen air restaurants and in food markets throughout SE Asia ( Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia)  for the past few winters.   Including food sold by vendors and prepared in front of us on beaches.

The only time we got sick was an unfortunate visit to  a western style restaurant in Phuket!

• Like 1

Yeah, do it on your own.  It is more adventurous and a lot more fun too.  Plus, with public transport, it is easy to get around.  Worse case is just take taxis. You won't break the bank.  Just take note that UBER no long works in Singapore.  If you want such services, you got to use Grab.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:11 AM, cruising in said:

We are two full days in Singapore prior to our cruise.  Our hotel is the Oasia downtown which is very near an mrt station. This forum has really helped us too know what there is to see and do.  Would we be best to book a tour or two, or just see the sights on our own.  Any tour suggestions?

Oasia Downtown is just next to Tanjong Pagar MRT on the East-West line. 

You are very centrally located.  Very easy to get around from there. 

In fact, when I go to Tanjong Pagar, it is usually to attend some business meeting as you are almost right in the Central Business District Area.

One stop eastwards brings you to Raffles Place interchange, and then City Hall interchange.  You can connect to the North-South line at these stations.  Go northwards a few stations and you can get to Orchard Road. You can even go southwards to Marina South Pier and walk to Marina Bay Cruise terminal to board your ship, but I wouldn't recommend that since you would have luggage, just take a taxi.  Or if your ship departs from Harbourfront, then the correct MRT station is Harbourfront, on the NorthEast and Circle line. 

One stop westwards from Tanjong Pagar, you get to Outram Park, where you can connect to the NorthEast Line, which can bring you to Chinatown.

You can download our MRT map and print it out in advance (or have it on your mobile phone), so that you can refer to the stations.  Anyway, our system is nowhere as complex as say London or Paris, so it is pretty hard to get lost.  

On 1/9/2019 at 9:11 AM, ROCruiser said:

You are right.  Even if you are not coming back to Singapore, it is still worth getting the EZ-Link card because the fares are much cheaper than the one-way fares if you have to buy individual fares from the machine.  

The non-refundable cost of the EZ-Link card is only $5SGD, or $3.7USD thereabouts. The card lasts for 5 years.  Take it as a souvenir if you are not coming back again.  With the EZ Link card, you can preload the card at a machine with some money, and it makes taking the MRT and the buses (if you wish to) so much easier.  That's what we locals do.  

Edited by Iluvcruising2

20 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We are coming off a cruise ship (oceania). Where can we get the ez link pass?  Our hotel will be Hilton garden inn. Thank you.

You can get it from any MRT Stations.

I've attached the links for your info.

https://www.smrt.com.sg/

http://journey.smrt.com.sg/journey/mrt_network_map/

Lluvcruising2 we are Roy & Ann from East York’s England . We are staying @ the Atrium hotel for 3 nights over New Year’s Eve 2019 prier to back to back on Quantum any info would be appreciated, many thanks

3 hours ago, cruiserinsg said:

You can get it from any MRT Stations.

I've attached the links for your info.

https://www.smrt.com.sg/

http://journey.smrt.com.sg/journey/mrt_network_map/

I don't think that is 100% true.  We went to the station closest to the pier (Marina South Pier) and they don't sell them.  We then walked all the way over to the Bayfront stop which was a nice walk through the gardens.  However we got there at 11am and we had to wait a bit for them to open.

You can also get your $10 deposit back at SMRT at the Changi airport after using it to get there.  🙂 

3 hours ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

I don't think that is 100% true.  We went to the station closest to the pier (Marina South Pier) and they don't sell them.  We then walked all the way over to the Bayfront stop which was a nice walk through the gardens.  However we got there at 11am and we had to wait a bit for them to open.

You can also get your $10 deposit back at SMRT at the Changi airport after using it to get there.  🙂 

I think the poster was referring to the Ezyink card which are available at MRT stations including Marina South.

These cost $12 with a $7 stored value. Valid for 5 years

https://www.ezlink.com.sg/get-your-ez-link-card/where-the-cards-are-sold

Were you trying to purchase the Singapore Tourist Pass? $10per day with a $10 refundable deposit?They are only available at certain locations as per this link

http://thesingaporetouristpass.com.sg/where-to-buy/ and only valid for the days purchased.

We already had cards but 4 of our friends purchased Ezylink cards at Marina South.

I would recommend anyone arriving at Marina South Pier to buy the Ezylink cards there, for convenience and to get your short day in port started.

After a full day of travelling around our friends only used about $3 of the stored $7 and are keeping their card for their next visit.

Edited by cheznandy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cruising in said:

Thank you all.  Just a little confused as to what card to get.  We will have 3 full days in Singapore.  Should we purchase the Ez-link or the Tourist Pass?

The Ez link card, as per post 13 above, others have supplied good info.

17 hours ago, cruising in said:

Thank you all.  Just a little confused as to what card to get.  We will have 3 full days in Singapore.  Should we purchase the Ez-link or the Tourist Pass?

I'd like to follow up on this, as I will have 5 days pre-cruise in Singapore next month. What are the reasons to purchase the EZ Link instead of the Tourist Pass? Or, for those of you who believe the opposite, what are the reasons to purchase a Tourist Pass instead of the EZ Link?

With thanks for your help,

OK.  Thought I had pretty much everything figured out for our upcoming cruise that ends in Singapore.  We were to spend 2 nights at the Carlton after disembarking flying home on the 3rd night leaving late.  So thought we had almost 3 days to explore.

BUT....  received an email from Emirates and they cancelled our flight giving us the option to fly home a day early or a day later..... unfortunately couldn't stay a day later.  So we have part of one day (after disembarking) and part of another.  

I know I want to see the gardens and do a bit of shopping - perhaps in a cool older market area.  But any insights into what we can realistically see in our time frame.  Should I book a private tour for our disembark afternoon?  Then DIY on our next morning/lunch.  Our driver is picking us up at 6:00 pm for a 9:10 flight.  

Any advice is appreciated - as we are disappointed but know you have to "go with the flow" when traveling.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:46 AM, texancruzer said:

OK.  Thought I had pretty much everything figured out for our upcoming cruise that ends in Singapore.  We were to spend 2 nights at the Carlton after disembarking flying home on the 3rd night leaving late.  So thought we had almost 3 days to explore.

BUT....  received an email from Emirates and they cancelled our flight giving us the option to fly home a day early or a day later..... unfortunately couldn't stay a day later.  So we have part of one day (after disembarking) and part of another.  

I know I want to see the gardens and do a bit of shopping - perhaps in a cool older market area.  But any insights into what we can realistically see in our time frame.  Should I book a private tour for our disembark afternoon?  Then DIY on our next morning/lunch.  Our driver is picking us up at 6:00 pm for a 9:10 flight.  

Any advice is appreciated - as we are disappointed but know you have to "go with the flow" when traveling.

What an awesome attitude to go with the flow! 

The gardens are super easy to do on your own and can be accessed by the metro without difficulty. The Marina Bay Sands is basically across from it and has some shopping and a great food court in the basement. Perhaps do these after disembarking and checking into your hotel. You could see the gardens during the day and at night. 

The following day you could do Chinatown and Little India on your own using the metro and even head to Orchard Rd. We wandered around the markets in this area and enjoyed the sights.