1st time Disney cruisers

ravluis

Hi everyone! my family and I cruise every year but this will be our first Disney cruise. I will be cruising with my husband and 3 year old daughter. We will be cruising on the magic December 16th sailing. I have a few questions for anyone that can help me out. I'm looking to book the deluxe interior room on deck 1 because I noticed on deck 2 it was all cabins and I prefer all cabins over our heads versus dining rooms and etc. With being on deck 1 will it be easy access on and off the ship during port days? the deluxe interior looks like a decent size online, will it be good space for just us 3? being on deck 1 will we feel a lot of movement? we have stayed on deck 1 before and never had an issue but just wondering since we have never cruised on Disney. As for dining do we need to sign up for dinner reservations or will they issue our dining time at the time of booking? this will be a very merry cruise with that said, will their be any shows or anything going on I need to sign up for ahead of time to secure a spot? those are my questions for now. I may have more lol so please feel free to share anything you think I need to know. 

1 hour ago, ravluis said:

Hi everyone! my family and I cruise every year but this will be our first Disney cruise. I will be cruising with my husband and 3 year old daughter. We will be cruising on the magic December 16th sailing. I have a few questions for anyone that can help me out. I'm looking to book the deluxe interior room on deck 1 because I noticed on deck 2 it was all cabins and I prefer all cabins over our heads versus dining rooms and etc. With being on deck 1 will it be easy access on and off the ship during port days? the deluxe interior looks like a decent size online, will it be good space for just us 3? being on deck 1 will we feel a lot of movement? we have stayed on deck 1 before and never had an issue but just wondering since we have never cruised on Disney. As for dining do we need to sign up for dinner reservations or will they issue our dining time at the time of booking? this will be a very merry cruise with that said, will their be any shows or anything going on I need to sign up for ahead of time to secure a spot? those are my questions for now. I may have more lol so please feel free to share anything you think I need to know. 

Hello Ravluis.  Our family of three just got back from a cruise on the Disney Dream.  While we have been on several other cruises, we were first time Disney cruisers as well.  As far as dinner reservations are concerned you will be assigned your dining rooms.  They rotate on a nightly basis and your server team will follow you.  We thought the overall quality of the food in the MDR was better than other cruise lines.  If you would like to dine in Remy or Palo (fee restaurants) then a reservation would be required.  As far as the shows are concerned you do not a reservation.  Typically there are two different show times and two different dining times.  If you have the early dining time you can go to the later show or vice versa.  We never had any trouble getting a seat for the shows.  FYI... all of the shows were great.  

Even though it was a different ship you can check out my review of the Disney Dream, it is on this message board.  It is my understanding that the Disney ships are all pretty similar.  i hope your family enjoys your Disney Cruise as much as mine did!  

Edited by willowvacay

2 minutes ago, willowvacay said:

Hello Ravluis.  Our family of three just got back from a cruise on the Disney Dream.  While we have been on several other cruises, we were first time Disney cruisers as well.  As far as dinner reservations are concerned you will be assigned your dining rooms.  They rotate on a nightly basis and your server team will follow you.  We thought the overall quality of the food in the MDR was better than other cruise lines.  If you would like to dine in Remy or Palo (fee restaurants) then a reservation would be required.  As far as the shows are concerned you do not a reservation.  Typically there are two different show times and two different dining times.  If you have the early dining time you can go to the later show or vice versa.  We never had any trouble getting a seat for the shows.  FYI... all of the shows were great.  

Even though it was a different ship you can check out my review of the Disney Dream, it is on this message board.  It is my understanding that the Disney ships are all pretty similar.  i hope your family enjoys your Disney Cruise as much as mine did!  

You're awesome!!! thank you so much for the information. I will go read your review now. 

To above, Remy does not exist on the Magic.  All cabins, cat 11-5 on the Magic are essentially the same.  There are some interior cabins which are not called "deluxe" that do not have the split bath and have a slightly smaller entryway.  However, the "living space" is essentially the same.  Actually, the ship movement on deck 1 is some of the least anywhere on the ship.  1 midship is great for not having motion!  People either love or hate interior cabins...some people don't do well without natural light.  Other than that, your cabin choice will be fine.  Besides, how much awake time will you spend in the cabin?

When you look at the sq. ft. of cabins with balconies, they include the measurement of the balcony.  The actual cabin space is the same.  And when the Magic launched in 1998, she had the largest cabins in the industry...about 33% larger than most other lines.  Some other lines have increased their cabin size on their new builds.  I've been on Princess and Celebrity ships built about the same time as the Magic and Wonder.  DCL cabins are MUCH larger!

19 hours ago, cantgetin said:

To above, Remy does not exist on the Magic.  All cabins, cat 11-5 on the Magic are essentially the same.  There are some interior cabins which are not called "deluxe" that do not have the split bath and have a slightly smaller entryway.  However, the "living space" is essentially the same.  Actually, the ship movement on deck 1 is some of the least anywhere on the ship.  1 midship is great for not having motion!  People either love or hate interior cabins...some people don't do well without natural light.  Other than that, your cabin choice will be fine.  Besides, how much awake time will you spend in the cabin?

When you look at the sq. ft. of cabins with balconies, they include the measurement of the balcony.  The actual cabin space is the same.  And when the Magic launched in 1998, she had the largest cabins in the industry...about 33% larger than most other lines.  Some other lines have increased their cabin size on their new builds.  I've been on Princess and Celebrity ships built about the same time as the Magic and Wonder.  DCL cabins are MUCH larger!

thank you so much. 

On 1/8/2019 at 2:09 PM, ravluis said:

If you are going on the 5 night Disney Magic on 12/16/19 I am VERY jealous!!  I hope you are a Star Wars Fan because Episode 9 is supposed to be released on 12/20 and it should premier on the ship Thursday night (the 19th).   The Magic is my favorite ship. It is smaller than the Dream and Fantasy but I like that.  

On 1/8/2019 at 2:09 PM, ravluis said:

So, I prefer deck 2 to deck 1.  Deck 1 the rooms have 2 small porthole windows. Deck 2 has 1 large porthole with a ledge your daughter can sit on and look out at the water.  I would definitely recommend you book deck 2.

Edited -oops, just saw you got an interior room!  I really don't think it matters then.  But you can't traverse the ship on deck 1 because half of it is crew area - so you have to go up on to a different floor if you want to walk the length of the ship.

I think there is a princess meet and greet you can sign up for ahead of time, but it might be booked up. When you book, you choose early or late dining, but early dining may be filled and you may get 2nd (late) seating. When you get on board you can ask to change, but I prefer late dining, even whem my kids were little.  There will be plenty of opportunities to see characters on the ship.   They do have some special Christmas activities - like cookie making, etc.  You can sign up for those, some things will just be on the daily schedule and you can show up.

If you google "Disney Magic 5 night merrytime cruise navigators" you will be able to find old navigators (daily schedules) from previous cruises and this will give you an idea what to expect.  The Tangled show on the Magic is not to be missed!!

Edited by GatorMomInNC

Haven’t sailed on Magic, but have sailed three times on her sister ship, Wonder, and once we were in an ocean view cabin on deck one. I’m guessing Magic’s deck one and Wonder’s are the same, or very similar. I loved it. Deck was quiet, minimal ship motion was felt by me (I am very sensitive to ship movement and do get seasick), was super convenient when disembarking at ports, and we were close to the mid ship elevators. I would not hesitate to book on that deck again.

The only downside to the ocean views on that deck (but since you’re looking at an interior it’s a moot point) is that when docked, and if the pier is on the same side as your cabin, it’s crucial to keep the window curtains closed because outsiders can see right in! Lol! 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:18 AM, GatorMomInNC said:

If you are going on the 5 night Disney Magic on 12/16/19 I am VERY jealous!!  I hope you are a Star Wars Fan because Episode 9 is supposed to be released on 12/20 and it should premier on the ship Thursday night (the 19th).   The Magic is my favorite ship. It is smaller than the Dream and Fantasy but I like that.  

Yes we are going on the 12/16/19 cruise. We are very excited!

On 1/10/2019 at 1:27 AM, GatorMomInNC said:

So, I prefer deck 2 to deck 1.  Deck 1 the rooms have 2 small porthole windows. Deck 2 has 1 large porthole with a ledge your daughter can sit on and look out at the water.  I would definitely recommend you book deck 2.

Edited -oops, just saw you got an interior room!  I really don't think it matters then.  But you can't traverse the ship on deck 1 because half of it is crew area - so you have to go up on to a different floor if you want to walk the length of the ship.

I think there is a princess meet and greet you can sign up for ahead of time, but it might be booked up. When you book, you choose early or late dining, but early dining may be filled and you may get 2nd (late) seating. When you get on board you can ask to change, but I prefer late dining, even whem my kids were little.  There will be plenty of opportunities to see characters on the ship.   They do have some special Christmas activities - like cookie making, etc.  You can sign up for those, some things will just be on the daily schedule and you can show up.

If you google "Disney Magic 5 night merrytime cruise navigators" you will be able to find old navigators (daily schedules) from previous cruises and this will give you an idea what to expect.  The Tangled show on the Magic is not to be missed!!

Yes! thank you. we always do the late dining it just seems to work better for us. How do I check on the princess meet and greet?

15 hours ago, ravluis said:

Yes! thank you. we always do the late dining it just seems to work better for us. How do I check on the princess meet and greet?

I have two sons so I have never done it, but I believe that once you have paid in full and can book activities you can book the princess meet and greet.  That is what we did for our Frozen meet and greet and Marvel meet and greets. If they are all booked up, you see if you can get it when you board.   Since this is your first DCL cruise, you will be "last" to book activities, along with any other first time cruisers, but from what I understand they save some spots for when you board.

21 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I have two sons so I have never done it, but I believe that once you have paid in full and can book activities you can book the princess meet and greet.  That is what we did for our Frozen meet and greet and Marvel meet and greets. If they are all booked up, you see if you can get it when you board.   Since this is your first DCL cruise, you will be "last" to book activities, along with any other first time cruisers, but from what I understand they save some spots for when you board.

The point is NOT "paid in full," although that must be done to book any onboard reservations. The point is your booking date based on your Castaway Club status.  Most people with previous cruises do choose to pay earlier than required so they can book at the earliest possible date.  As to saving spots, it depends on what you are discussing.  Palo and Remy reservations are "held" and not released on line.  In addition, the concierge holds a small number of reservations for virtually all activities; if these are not taken by concierge guests on the first day, they are released to the general public.  These are the only reservations that are held for the princess gathering, Royal Tea Party, Frozen Meet and Greet, or excursions.  Basically those are "first come, first served" on line unless someone changes their plans and then releases their previously reserved complimentary tickets.  DO keep checking back on line because some people DO release them.

And a general request to those out there--if you have tickets to an event and know you will not be using them, please release them.  You can cancel them on line up to 3 days before embarkation.  You can turn them in at Guest Services or Port Adventures as late as a few minutes before the event.  Remember that there may well be someone who will be delighted to be able to attend, even at the last minute!  I can't tell you how disappointed one member of our group was to not get tickets....and later when I said something to a member of the boards, she commented that she wished she'd known that I wanted them because she had 6 tickets that the kids had decided to not use.  Even if we didn't get them, someone else could have!