Fishing in port

bouelle11

I was wondering if there were any recommendations on fishing tours or fishing equipment rentals in either Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria. My stepfather loves to fish and I have no clue what to look for in a good fishing excursion. Relying on recommendations for this one!! 

I am going this summer (never been). I have researched a lot about fishing, and there are places to rent in Ketchikan and other ports. I am taking a spinning rod. There are options to fish on your own in a lot of places like Ketchikan and Seward. Charters seem to be expensive and too short to produce much.

2 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Salmon runs start in July.  If you are there before then you won’t have much luck.

We will be there at the end of July. Thinking Ketchikan might be our best bet for fishing. Do you know of any excursions not through the cruise line that you’d recommend? 

Edited by bouelle11

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 4:06 PM, wolfie11 said:

Salmon runs start in July.  If you are there before then you won’t have much luck.

I booked in early June because we were told by our travel agent that was best for salmon runs! Very not happy right now!

We booked with Chum Fun in Juneau. They advertise you can ship it home.  We did go through Princess as we can cancel easily if we want.  This is a dockside fishing, as a boat does not appeal to us. If we can not ship home, that’s ok too.  Any kind of salmon is ok too.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:53 PM, ccmmum said:

I booked in early June because we were told by our travel agent that was best for salmon runs! Very not happy right now!

All of the major ports in SE have their King Salmon derbies Memorial weekend, except for 2018 when most were canceled due to the poor return. ADF&G did a survey and it averaged over 20 hours fishing for each sport King caught. I don't fish for kings, I wait til august/september to catch coho.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:42 PM, milolii said:

We booked with Chum Fun in Juneau. They advertise you can ship it home.  We did go through Princess as we can cancel easily if we want.  This is a dockside fishing, as a boat does not appeal to us. If we can not ship home, that’s ok too.  Any kind of salmon is ok too.

We used Chum Fun three or four years ago.  I don’t know what the Princess excursion is like, but we fished at the dock next to the fish hatchery, so it’s not like you’re out in the woods, but the owner was very nice ( and so was his dog who came along.). There was a sea lion that swam back and forth in front of us waiting to grab a snack. LOL.

51 minutes ago, Suzanne123 said:

We used Chum Fun three or four years ago.  I don’t know what the Princess excursion is like, but we fished at the dock next to the fish hatchery, so it’s not like you’re out in the woods, but the owner was very nice ( and so was his dog who came along.). There was a sea lion that swam back and forth in front of us waiting to grab a snack. LOL.

Hi Suzanne, Please tell me what you can remember about fishing at the dock. Can you give any more directions about where the dock is? Will it be easy to find if I look for the fish hatchery? What did you use for bait and what did you catch? I am taking a fishing rod with me and want to fish on my own. I will be there on July 9. The sockeye may be running then, but maybe too early for silvers. When were you there?

Thanks,

Jim

The dock is just down the sidewalk from the fish hatchery.  I thought I had posted a review with TripAdvisor, but I just looked and can’t find it.  Anyway, look here for more info.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31020-d4259452-Reviews-Chum_Fun_Charters-Juneau_Alaska.html

You will pass the hatchery if you go out to Mendenhall.  

http://www.dipac.net/hours-and-tours/

As I mentioned, it’s not like fishing in a remote stream, but it was fairly cheap compared to the fly-out fishing or even the regular salmon charters.  We were there July 17th. ( my birthday) and did catch salmon.

Edited by Suzanne123

14 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

The dock is just down the sidewalk from the fish hatchery.  I thought I had posted a review with TripAdvisor, but I just looked and can’t find it.  Anyway, look here for more info.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31020-d4259452-Reviews-Chum_Fun_Charters-Juneau_Alaska.html

You will pass the hatchery if you go out to Mendenhall.  

http://www.dipac.net/hours-and-tours/

As I mentioned, it’s not like fishing in a remote stream, but it was fairly cheap compared to the fly-out fishing or even the regular salmon charters.  We were there July 17th. ( my birthday) and did catch salmon.

What bait did you use? One of the reviews I read said most fish were caught by snagging.

I wish I could be more helpful, but my husband was the fisherman.  I was just lucky not to put someone’s eye out with my casting technique or lack thereof.  I remember that I got the first fish, and it was 19 inches, but that’s about it.  The owner brought everything we needed. 

There are stores downtown that sell bait.  DH also went out with the Bear Creek Outfitters several times (without me) to do some serious fishing, and I think they had a store downtown, or at least they could tell you what to use.

http://www.juneauflyfishing.com/