Jr. Suite vs Balcony

May this be my biggest problem:  I am going on the Anthem of the Seas this July.  I am booked in the two bedroom royal family suite and my best friend is in a grande suite two cabins down from me.  Our other best friend is in a balcony next to him.  For my friend to upgrade to a Jr. Suite the cost is under $500 so money is not a problem.  His cabin would be on another deck however.  Upgrading to a grande suite is $2,000.00 so not really an option. 

My question:  Do you think it is worth it for my friend to upgrade and move to a different deck for a Jr Suite  - or just stay in a balcony cabin so you are right next to us?

What would you do?

Thanks,

Bryan

My personal opinion, it depends on your preferences in dining and amenities.  You as a suite guest have access to Coastal Kitchen and your friend does not.  Your friend's access, however, in a Junior Suite is based on availability, so there are no guarantees.  A Junior Suite is basically a larger balcony room with few suite amenities.  Proximity to me is not an issue.  We have travelled with others next to us as well as in different locations.  We see no difference regarding spending time together on board.  The other consideration is, if your friend is truly next door, do you plan to open the balcony dividers and share the balcony space?

4 minutes ago, old faithful said:

May this be my biggest problem:  I am going on the Anthem of the Seas this July.  I am booked in the two bedroom royal family suite and my best friend is in a grande suite two cabins down from me.  Our other best friend is in a balcony next to him.  For my friend to upgrade to a Jr. Suite the cost is under $500 so money is not a problem.  His cabin would be on another deck however.  Upgrading to a grande suite is $2,000.00 so not really an option. 

My question:  Do you think it is worth it for my friend to upgrade and move to a different deck for a Jr Suite  - or just stay in a balcony cabin so you are right next to us?

What would you do?

Thanks,

Bryan

“Worth it” is matter of personal judgement. Coastal Kitchen for dinner in JS. If your friend is traveling solo - triple C and A points.

2 hours ago, long time lurker said:

My personal opinion, it depends on your preferences in dining and amenities.  You as a suite guest have access to Coastal Kitchen and your friend does not.  Your friend's access, however, in a Junior Suite is based on availability, so there are no guarantees.  A Junior Suite is basically a larger balcony room with few suite amenities.  Proximity to me is not an issue.  We have travelled with others next to us as well as in different locations.  We see no difference regarding spending time together on board.  The other consideration is, if your friend is truly next door, do you plan to open the balcony dividers and share the balcony space?

All good points.

To the OP, if your friend is going to be going back-n-forth between the suites and their room, then close proximity is key especially with the possibility of sharing a balcony.

However, if they are going to spend all their time hanging out in one of the suites (or around the ship) and the room is just a place to store clothing and take a shower, then it doesn't matter where the room is. BUT, then why bother upgrading to a JS, unless the possibility of maybe eating in CK is worth the extra money.

Personally, while I like to have some space & distance from my traveling companions, I'm not sure I'd spend an extra $500 for it. 

6 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Unless the lone friend is in a GS or better, he won't get any suite perks, even with a JS....I don't know if that's what you're looking for, or not.  If you all want to stay close, stick with the regular balcony.  

Those in JS on Qunatum and Oasis class ships can eat at Coastal Kitchen at dinner