Once you try Regent, you ever go back to Celebrity?

You absolutely can go back and forth. We have for over 10 years. On Celebrity we only do Royal and Penthouse suites, while on Regent we do Penthouse and below. The reason we went to Regent originally was because we felt that service in all classes and levels of Celebrity were declining, this was around 2005. So for the price we were paying, we could step right from a Celebrity Royal to a regular Regent. We did not like losing the space, but saw the value in the better service and smaller ships.  However, after doing Regent exclusively for 4 years, we began seeing Celebrity improve at least their Suite service. We sailed on one of their first Michael's club trips, then Luminae opened. The level of service you get in Micheals and Luminae and from Suite Butlers, is very comparable to what we experience on Regent, IMO. As for food, our last three 14-day Celebrity cruises, we never ate a buffet or pool deck meal, having breakfast, lunch and dinner in Luminae, a specialty restaurant or our room.  Like most Regent loyalist,  I do not like the bigger ships or large crowds and totally disagreed with Celebrity getting rid of great ships like  Century and Horizon to build their new behemoths. Of course I also think Regent is doing the same thing, building bigger ships, which many like. but also moves them  away from their former ability to maintain quality staff. Don't get me wrong, I like both lines and understand that the regular Celebrity experience is not the Suite experience. We will be on the Summit in July and Explorer in November. So just one man's opinion, you can go back and forth. 

3 minutes ago, TWG_ag said:

You absolutely can go back and forth. We have for over 10 years. On Celebrity we only do Royal and Penthouse suites, while on Regent we do Penthouse and below. The reason we went to Regent originally was because we felt that service in all classes and levels of Celebrity were declining, this was around 2005. So for the price we were paying, we could step right from a Celebrity Royal to a regular Regent. We did not like losing the space, but saw the value in the better service and smaller ships.  However, after doing Regent exclusively for 4 years, we began seeing Celebrity improve at least their Suite service. We sailed on one of their first Michael's club trips, then Luminae opened. The level of service you get in Micheals and Luminae and from Suite Butlers, is very comparable to what we experience on Regent, IMO. As for food, our last three 14-day Celebrity cruises, we never ate a buffet or pool deck meal, having breakfast, lunch and dinner in Luminae, a specialty restaurant or our room.  Like most Regent loyalist,  I do not like the bigger ships or large crowds and totally disagreed with Celebrity getting rid of great ships like  Century and Horizon to build their new behemoths. Of course I also think Regent is doing the same thing, building bigger ships, which many like. but also moves them  away from their former ability to maintain quality staff. Don't get me wrong, I like both lines and understand that the regular Celebrity experience is not the Suite experience. We will be on the Summit in July and Explorer in November. So just one man's opinion, you can go back and forth. 

One of the smaller ships not in the fleet was the Galaxy we enjoyed many years ago to Alaska.

• 2 weeks later...

We go back and forth - Regent, Celebrity, and Princess are our most frequent, but have also sailed Norwegian and Carnival.  It all depends on who is going and why.  Sailing with a bunch of friends just for fun or sailing as a family gathering are different kinds of experiences than the two of us traveling to see the world.   We sail with Regent when it is the two of us and we're going overseas.  We'll grab a week out of LA on Princess when it's convenient or with friends and family.  I like Celebrity in the Caribbean because we can get to Miami easily and inexpensively, and we don't go on daily excursions there.  And we have lots of easy options for Pacific coastal re-positioning cruises if we just want to be on a ship for a few days.

Wherever you go, and with whichever cruise line, have fun!  Happy Sailing.

All:  Have been holding my water as to opining on this particular Thread. 

Yes, we have experienced one Celebrity experience.  That was 17 years ago on a eight or nine day September Vancouver, BC-Alaska-Vancouver cruise.  Context:  "Won" this cruise at a dinner auction.  That yearly event was part of our daughter's enrollment in a Musical Arts High School program (Program). Hey, the cruise was basically a Celebrity donation to support that Arts program.  Thus, Celebrity deserves recognition for offering this particular auction opportunity.  It was, surely, gratis. 

Before our trip from Redmond, WA to Vancouver, a Celebrity representative telephoned to advise we had been upgraded to a much-higher accommodation level.  That became apparent when, at the Vancouver Port and beginning the clearance and boarding process--the Cruise Director (CD) appeared at the Desk.  She reviewed our documents; took a look at us and our Passport pictures--and, magically, we were whisked aboard.  More was to follow. 

That said: 

We had a prior Alaska cruise experience on Holland America.  Other pre-2002 cruising had been to Europe, South America, Polynesia, and Australia-New Zealand on Holland America, Silversea, Seabourn, and Raddison (now Regent) Seven Seas. So--smaller ships.  This was our one, and only Celebrity cruise.  The ship size was around 2400. 

In one word, which is a difficult stretch for me:  NO.  No as to post 2002 return to Celebrity.  This was a one-off.  Our cruise fare went to a good cause.  It turned out a member on the Program's Board of Directors was a Celebrity manager.  Thus, further upgrades when onboard, to include dinners with the CD and other Ship's Officers at tables for six with other higher-echelon guests.  

However, the overall onboard experience was sub-par relative to food, service, and general attitude of restaurant personnel.  Basically, it is not a good idea to schedule an Alaska cruise on any--let-alone a mega ship--at the end of that particular "season".  The Staff exhibited a worn-out attitude due to continuous repetition of the Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver itinerary over the preceding three months.  This was apparent on so-many interactions, as simple as asking to be seated at a table for two at breakfast or lunch in the main dining room.  The emphasis was to cram everyone into a designated area at tables for six or eight. 

It took two, or three, very-pointed comments to Staff to get across the point that my wife and I wanted to be seated at a table for two--not at a table for eight.  On the third try--and after I had mentioned this situation to the CD--no problem.

It is important to provide context to an evaluation.  That is why, when expending subsequent money for Alaska cruises which had no relationship to a school-related auction event, we opted for Silversea and Regent. 

GOARMY!

@Goarmy.....17 years ago?  Awesome memory, I cannot remember details from cruises 10 years ago.  Maybe not even 3 years ago.   lol.

I think the original poster needs to come back and tell us what she has decided.  Will it be fewer cruises but on Regent from now on, or is she OK to revisit Celebrity.  I hope she comes back with her verdict!

I am, as I have said before, a mere 75+ nights on Radisson/Regent - I realize  some of you have hundreds of nights.  But when they sold out a few years ago, got rid of all the great staff (on well paid contracts) and priced themselves out of my world, I have found ways to continue to travel and enjoy life on other lines.  

I am currently on the old lady Celebrity Solstice... just cruised through Milford, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds today.   Solstice is in desperate need of refurbishment...scheduled.  My husband and I, regardless, have had one of our best cruise experiences ever on this sailing.  Crew are incredible, Suite is lovely, some passengers have become great friends (we cancelled our hotels in parts of our post cruise road trip NZ so we can stay with two of them at their invitation!).    It makes me think perhaps the company and the destination could be more important than the vessel!

i did go back.  And it is alllllll good!

In answer to what we decided to do. We have decided to go with Celebrity when we decide to move forward. I canceled my Regent and it is almost 3 weeks and they still have not refunded my 3800.00 deposit, (less the 200) have never had this issue before. I had to have my credit card company get involved now. 

Decision was the tours I actually looked on their Alaska itinerary to grasp what is included and the majority of the excursions that are included are the very low priced ones, the glaciers etc are a uncharge in fact it is the same as what I could book on another line, so for that reason it isn't for us. 

I am surprised to see the interest in Regent from Celebrity cruisers.  Due to the cost I would think that Oceania, Azamara would be a better deal (and Oceania does have some good deals with some include excursions or alcohol packages).

There is one heck of a savings if you sail on Celebrity, however, unless you are in a suite, do not have to pay $50+/person for specialty restaurants, have the included alcohol package and included tipping, IMHO, it simply isn't worth it.   

In terms of Regent's refund, we have never had a problem.  You will get your money back but perhaps not as quickly as you would like.

2 hours ago, california and cruising said:

In answer to what we decided to do. We have decided to go with Celebrity when we decide to move forward. I canceled my Regent and it is almost 3 weeks and they still have not refunded my 3800.00 deposit, (less the 200) have never had this issue before. I had to have my credit card company get involved now. 

Decision was the tours I actually looked on their Alaska itinerary to grasp what is included and the majority of the excursions that are included are the very low priced ones, the glaciers etc are a uncharge in fact it is the same as what I could book on another line, so for that reason it isn't for us. 

If and when you make the plunge have a wonderful time. We have done 2 Celebrity cruises and in a suite they were very good experiences. As good as Regent maybe not but every vacation is what you make it. 

We haven't had a problem with a delayed refund but it can happen and hopefully it will be resolved soon.