The South American and Antarctic experience on the Zaandam

scubacruiserx2

There was a ship up ahead on the rocks. It is the Santa Leonor, the former USS Riverside. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Riverside_(APA-102)

IMG_9778_zpsimgvriv6.jpg

IMG_7662_zps3a0icltr.jpg

IMG_9789%201_zpsrnfqups9.jpg

IMG_9785_zpsxeraczq3.jpg

It was guarded on the South by a lighthouse

IMG_9794_zpsvs1q7zrv.jpg

And as we were having  Wienersnitchel for dinner

DSC04132_zpszhx0ff5h.jpg

a rainbow appeared on our balcony .

DSC04139_zpsl9buj0ao.jpg

The video clip :

• Like 1

Next stop : Punta Arenas

On our first visit here we tried to see the Penguins at Magdalena Island . Our tour was cancelled after boarding the boat and switched to Otway  which no longer operates tours . Our last visit we went to Torres del Paine . This time we booked Magdalena Island again with Solo Expediciones .

https://www.soloexpediciones.com/penguins-magdalena-marta-island

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Good morning Punta Arenas 

IMG_7720_zpsuoo6qykl.jpg

The tugging has begun

DSC04157_zpstphub0zq.jpg

And the rainbow followed us also so maybe this would be our lucky day .

DSC04154%202_zpshanioi1r.jpg

Video :

We prefer smaller group tours and we hopped that SE would provide it for us . We booked a midday tour hoping that it would be less crowded . We you exit the ship you have to walk through the blue container for a fruit/bag inspection .

IMG_7734_zpssx0uwel5.jpg

You use to walk down the pier to the Downtown area but we were now at a different pier about 3 miles from the SE office . The end of the pier begins the shipping area , but you can meet cabs there .

IMG_7733_zpswos6pzk3.jpg

• Like 1

Great job scubacruiser!  Can you walk off the ship?  Is there a shuttle? We’re cruising South America in a months time and we were planning to just walk about in town so I’m hoping there’s a decent way of getting to town. Did you come across anyone who used a taxi?

When we got to the small SE office it was crowded and chaotic . We had reservations but they demanded payment in person - no prepay . This make long lines for payment .We were told to wait but a number of people outside headed for a bus . By the time we got there it was full . We were told to walk around the corner to a smaller bus which filled quickly leaving us the last two seats in the rear . We waited another 30 minutes for two young ladies who decided to go get some chips and drinks . The driver pulled down a couple of folding seats next to him and we were off . We headed back past the Zaandam until we reached the smaller boats . We had to stand in another line to get life vests and they had ran out of Large and Extra Large . We had to wear these over our winter jackets with the 2 straps between our legs . The effect was like wearing a straight jacket that choked you and gave you a wedgie . We got the last 2 seats which was a half on and a half in the aisle . We began our bouncing ride toward the island .

DSC04193_zpskssg3qpu.jpg

It became a little less crowded when some people stood up and went outside for some cooler and fresh air .

IMG_7754_zpspqu3aafh.jpg

We moved forward were some chair hogs left their bags marking their turf . The ride was uneventful until about 5 minutes before our arrival . This ladies friend spilled her lunch at our feet .

IMG_9814_zpsmagyyyp2.jpg

Perhaps the smell attracted the penguins because they sure got close to them . Anyhow , we had arrived !

IMG_7756%201_zpsj35nzjak.jpg

IMG_7809_zpsa6q8ebuj.jpg

We felt like we were on a Easter egg hunt .

IMG_9906_zps2iq8ikvf.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, caneable said:

Great job scubacruiser!  Can you walk off the ship?  Is there a shuttle? We’re cruising South America in a months time and we were planning to just walk about in town so I’m hoping there’s a decent way of getting to town. Did you come across anyone who used a taxi?

Thank you and Yes you can walk off . No shuttle . We used the taxi at the end of the pier about $ 10 for up to 4 .

We also have a tour booked with Solo Expediciones on our upcoming Zaandam cruise. Were you able to pay for the tour with a credit card?

I was under the impression that there was a shuttle that runs from the ship into town. Will have to inquired about this.

51 minutes ago, AryMay said:

We also have a tour booked with Solo Expediciones on our upcoming Zaandam cruise. Were you able to pay for the tour with a credit card?

I was under the impression that there was a shuttle that runs from the ship into town. Will have to inquired about this.

Yes, you can pay with a credit card. We had  Chilean Pesos and Punta Arenas was our last Chilean port so we used them. 

Sorry, my bad, there is a shuttle to town at the end of the pier by the gate.  Taxi's are also there. 

3 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Thank you and Yes you can walk off . No shuttle . We used the taxi at the end of the pier about $ 10 for up to 4 .

I apologize caneable. There IS a shuttle from the pier to town. I am not sure where you are dropped-off in town.  This is why I like to take photos, my camera  has a better (more) memory than I do.:classic_blush:

IMG_9981_zps4difycuy.jpg

IMG_7801_zpsqapln2rr.jpg

IMG_9848_zpsyqfgwklf.jpg

IMG_7779_zpslogjybny.jpg

These are Magellanic Penguins and they live under bushes or in a burrow .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magellanic_penguin

Some people also call them J****** penguins after the braying sound they make 

IMG_9938_zps0ke3eu5g.jpg

Some penguins curiously twist their necks.

IMG_9868.thumb.JPG.ac6e70ce0768b7aa8735108f4de1117b.JPG

You can see it in this video clip  and hear some of the braying in the background .

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

I apologize caneable. There IS a shuttle from the pier to town. I am not sure where you are dropped-off in town.  This is why I like to take photos, my camera  has a better (more) memory than I do.:classic_blush:

Apologies not necessary, thanks for taking the time to do a double check.  Besides, these days, memory is my camera!

IMG_7789_zps1nibzh8u.jpg

IMG_0004_zpsbvtrtbyo.jpg

In about an hour's time we were , in diving parlance , "herded back to the cattle boats"  for our next adventure - the trip to Marta Island .

IMG_7815_zpssinhphyh.jpg

The sea was a bit bumpy thus keeping us from getting too close to the island . Most of the people climbed on the top of the bouncing boat and sat down before falling down . My knees were feeling their age .

DSC06488_zpsn4mofi97.jpg

IMG_0037_zpscm2o7yxl.jpg

The telephoto pulled a decent close up of the big guys , but we hoped for a better viewing in Ushuaia .

IMG_0031_zpsvwhesiei.jpg

• Like 1