My Review of Grease

yogimax

My goal was to stimulate thoughtful discussion and am glad to see that many have done just that.  Some have disagreed with my position but have explained their reasons logically.  Thank you to all who have responded with thoughtfulness!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George C said:

Read same type of review on Saturday night fever on liberty , give me a break . Hope they replace this play with something family friendly like Hair 😁😁😁😁

Don't leave out Oh caluctta  or the Best little Whore house in Texas. as options.

21 minutes ago, George C said:

Original poster is from nyc? I would think they were from Mayberry with Andy As the sheriff 

Times Square is all cleaned up now. It's the home of Disney. However the story of a middle eastern man trapped in a lamp and granting wishes just doesn't sit right with me during these political times. 

• Haha 1

Oh my, the strangest, the saddest & most pathetic aspects concerning this review is that you are 101% serious... 

Wow! 😲

I thought for certain that this was written in jest. I still can't believe it's for real. Good grief.

18 hours ago, yogimax said:

Yes, I know I will be criticized unmercifully for this review, but I feel it expresses a viewpoint that many are afraid to share.

To begin, the acting and dancing are terrific.  No problem there!

The problem is the storyline.  This has to be one of the most offensive plays in relatively recent history relating to women.  By the way, I'm a guy.  Poor Sandy... she can't be herself... she has to give up her identity, wear slutty clothes and take up smoking to please a guy who does not deserve her.  The girls, who are in high school, seem to only exist only for the guys, who take pleasure in looking up their skirts and reveling in their sexual conquests.

Here's some more

... a middle aged DJ, hits on a teenager at a dance, really?  In today's world he might be arrested.

... a school principal is mocked, there is no mention of college, and dropping out of school is seen as a good thing.

... parents are nowhere to be found.

... underage drinking?  No problem.

... teenage smoking?  Sure.

... sexual assault at a drive-in?  Yep.

Most of all, however, is the theme throughout, namely, that females have to give up their ethics, their sense of morality, their personhood, simply to get the guy.  How totally sexist is this?

Time for RCCL to pack up and retire this sexist play!

People are living in a bubble if they think all that yogimax listed is not still going on today, in fact it's probably worse in the UK, are you really telling me it's any different in the US.

Anyone who's been out on a Friday and Saturday night in any town centre across the UK has seen worse and from what I've seen on my visits to the US you're no different.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dwhe said:

People are living in a bubble if they think all that yogimax listed is not still going on today, in fact it's probably worse in the UK, are you really telling me it's any different in the US.

Anyone who's been out on a Friday and Saturday night in any town centre across the UK has seen worse and from what I've seen on my visits to the US you're no different.

So true!   Women are still second class citizens.  Their pay here in America is roughly 78% of what an equally qualified man would receive.  Meanwhile, we have new stories of sexual intimidation and abuse coming out on a regular basis and reaching the very highest levels.  These abuses are often covered up and covered over because of issues of money, power and fear.

That's why plays like Grease do nothing to solve the problem, but indeed, reinforce it.  Sure it's a play set in the 70's, but as you say, the problem still exists and people need to be educated to its potential harm.

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

So true!   Women are still second class citizens.  Their pay here in America is roughly 78% of what an equally qualified man would receive.  Meanwhile, we have new stories of sexual intimidation and abuse coming out on a regular basis and reaching the very highest levels.  These abuses are often covered up and covered over because of issues of money, power and fear.

That's why plays like Grease do nothing to solve the problem, but indeed, reinforce it.  Sure it's a play set in the 70's, but as you say, the problem still exists and people need to be educated to its potential harm.

It’s a play set in the 1950’s.

According to your logic we should ban all fairy tales as well. 

Snow White shacks up and cooks and cleans for 7 small men.

Cinderella child abuse, sibling rivalry, social climber. 

Hanzel and Gertel child abuse, child abduction and cannibalism.

Alice in Wonderland  girl goes down a rabbit hole and hallucinates on Mushrooms, hookahs and pills.

How about we just watch a show or read a book for the entertainment that it was meant to be and not project our own insecurities or political agenda upon it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

It’s a play set in the 1950’s.

According to your logic we should ban all fairy tales as well. 

Snow White shacks up and cooks and cleans for 7 small men.

Cinderella child abuse, sibling rivalry, social climber. 

Hanzel and Gertel child abuse, child abduction and cannibalism.

Alice in Wonderland  girl goes down a rabbit hole and hallucinates on Mushrooms, hookahs and pills.

How about we just watch a show or read a book for the entertainment that it was meant to be and not project our own insecurities or political agenda upon it.

Exactly.  What would she think of Showboat?  A black man singing that he would rather be a river just because of the inconvenience of slavery and racism.