Viking Ocean Alaska and the Inside Passage - length of time in each port

Caroltennis

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, AngelMomCruises said:

I didn't realize we stayed over in Seward..  happy about that... always disappointed when you don't get to see that last port!  We go June 2020... seems so far away.  

We usually stay on for a night or so anyway but I do like an overnight stop. We dont plan on getting off the ship that day but having it to ourselves. We have the next day to explore as the train to Anchorage doesnt leave until 6pm and we can store our luggage.

One never knows with Viking, However, since one of the on board booking benefits is the ability to change the reservation to another sailing without penalty (with some restrictions), you could book something else of equal duration and similar pricing and then just change the booking when the Alaska cruise becomes available.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, DarcyWilloughby said:

This is an aside, I guess: We're planning on going doing an Alaskan cruise with Viking in August 2020, and I just learned that Viking was granted a permit for Glacier Bay. So the above itinerary will most likely change somewhat.

They can cancel the call at Icy Strait Point and replace with scenic cruising in Glacier Bay. The challenge will be arranging the days, as they normally only permit 2 ships per day.

16 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

They can cancel the call at Icy Strait Point and replace with scenic cruising in Glacier Bay. The challenge will be arranging the days, as they normally only permit 2 ships per day.

For my money I would rather keep Icy Strait and visit Hubbard glacier.  But then everyone wants to see Glacier Bay.  Lots of steaming for the ice you see, imho.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:34 PM, Heidi13 said:

I'm not so sure about that, since the right to enter Glacier Bay is awarded competitively, and the new contracts that pertain to Viking do not become effective until October 1, 2019. So this summer's itineraries will likely remain the same.

The poster asking this question indicated they were planning an Alaska cruise in August 2020, by which time Viking will have a permit. However, with itineraries already posted for 2020 & 2021, I suspect they will be making a change and switch Icy Point for Glacier Bay, if the days work would be the easiest, without totally reworking the schedule.

Have cruised Alaska way too many times, so I'm well aware of how permits are issued and that the new permits are not applicable this season.

• Like 1