South Africa cruise in December questions?

thuyronald

We're seriously considering an overnight shore excursion to the northern Masai Mara in January. It's exhobitantly expensive although understandable given flights and accommodation at Neptune Mara. It departs from Mobassa. We have previously visited Chobe in Botswana and Etosha in Namibia and loved the safari experience. Thoughts anybody? All comments or advice gratefully received.

Edited by sailco

It's such a pleasure Tampa girl. It's going to be a fantastic experience to be on a 80 day cruise. I hope to do that one day!

Happy to help with suggestions anytime. I should be on the cruise critic boards more often over the next 6 months as we are doing a cruise from Copenhagen in September. 

9 minutes ago, Mercury said:

It's such a pleasure Tampa girl. It's going to be a fantastic experience to be on a 80 day cruise. I hope to do that one day!

Happy to help with suggestions anytime. I should be on the cruise critic boards more often over the next 6 months as we are doing a cruise from Copenhagen in September. 

Oh I can help with Scandanavia and the Baltic.  If you have any questions please ask!

11 hours ago, sailco said:

We're seriously considering an overnight shore excursion to the northern Masai Mara in January. It's exhobitantly expensive although understandable given flights and accommodation at Neptune Mara. It departs from Mobassa. We have previously visited Chobe in Botswana and Etosha in Namibia and loved the safari experience. Thoughts anybody? All comments or advice gratefully received.

Hi Sailco, I'm not sure what your ships's itinerary is. Will you be making your way to South Africa? 

There will be plenty of opportunities for amazing safaris at more reasonable prices. If you are able to extend your stay in South Africa after your cruise, you will have many choices of safaris in the Northern/ north eastern part of South Africa. There are many places to visit where you will get a wonderful safari for 2 nights for 2 people at less than 1800 Australian dollars including all meals and game drives.

If money is not an issue then I am sure the trip from Mombasa will be very special.

30 minutes ago, Mercury said:

Hi Sailco, I'm not sure what your ships's itinerary is. Will you be making your way to South Africa? 

There will be plenty of opportunities for amazing safaris at more reasonable prices. If you are able to extend your stay in South Africa after your cruise, you will have many choices of safaris in the Northern/ north eastern part of South Africa. There are many places to visit where you will get a wonderful safari for 2 nights for 2 people at less than 1800 Australian dollars including all meals and game drives.

If money is not an issue then I am sure the trip from Mombasa will be very special.

Our cruise is Mumbai to Cape Town but unfortunately we need to be back in Australia within a few days of arriving in Cape Town. I've held a lifetime dream of experiencing the Serengetie/Masai Mara migration and have missed out on previous visits to southern Africa. It's pretty much the wrong time of year but......

9 hours ago, sailco said:

Our cruise is Mumbai to Cape Town but unfortunately we need to be back in Australia within a few days of arriving in Cape Town. I've held a lifetime dream of experiencing the Serengetie/Masai Mara migration and have missed out on previous visits to southern Africa. It's pretty much the wrong time of year but......

Great time to go. Between the rains, so quite green, and it’s “lion season”. Plenty of resident animals and none of the hordes of people trying to follow the migration. 

21 hours ago, Trend said:

Yes Vic will be wet but that is what I expect from the Falls. I looked at weather right now and out of 7 days there were storms called for. Our African TA said they never book clients in Feb/March for Zanzibar.

Umm, OK, then. It’s absolutely gorgeous on Zanzibar this week - slight possibility of some showers occasionally. 

Very confusing as we were looking at the 25 Th next year and when I pulled up weather reports it showed rain most days with some storms.

also our African TA said they do not book into Zanzibar in Feb

Oh well already booked Vic and Kruger.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Great time to go. Between the rains, so quite green, and it’s “lion season”. Plenty of resident animals and none of the hordes of people trying to follow the migration. 

Thank you. It's just what I needed to hear!

On 2/19/2019 at 4:16 AM, Mercury said:

Can you give me the names of any tour guides that might offer the 1800 AUD for a 2-night safari?  Thank you for any info you can provide.

Hi Tampa Girl

We have stayed at the Waterberg within this price range. See the link below.

I recommend Hanglip Mountain Lodge and Wildside Camp:

http://legendhospitality.co.za/stay-with-us/entabeni-safari-conservancy/

You will have to ask them about transport to and from the Waterberg.

You could also try Pilansberg:

I recommend Black Rhino lodge

https://blackrhinogamelodge.com

or try:

https://shepherdstreegamelodge.info

Once again, you will need to ask them about transport to and from their Lodge

You could also try Mabula:

https://mabula.com

Good value for money but less of an exclusive experience.

We have had wonderful game viewing experiences at all these places. 

Having read through this thread I'm getting more and more excited about our South African experience which I've just started to plan.

May I ask one question myself, please:

We can either go in November , which I suppose is spring, or in March. We wanted to combine a two week's cruise starting end ending in Cape town with a pre-cruise safari in the north, perhaps combing two or three different lodges. I have already read about tour operators picking you up in Johannesburg, for example. We could then fly to Capetown afterwards to join the cruise ship. ( not sure yet which one).

For those experienced and/ or living in the country: Is November or March the better choice?

Thank you for your help.

36 minutes ago, grayjay said:

Is November or March the better choice?

AIUI, most people would say November. The winter period is likely to have been the drier part of the year, which leads to a few things. There is less vegetation and so the animals are less hidden and may be less camouflaged. And there is less abundant water, which means that many animals may be more concentrated near the remaining waterholes and water sources. And a higher concentration of animals in any place means it's more attractive to predators because it's more like a buffet, so kills may be seen more often. All subject to natural variation, of course.