South Africa cruise in December questions?

thuyronald

Hello everyone,

I'm contemplating of doing the Azamara Dec. 12, 2020 cruise starting and ending in Cape Town.  Our ports of call are Port Elizabeth, Richard's Bay, Durban and East London.  We have 2 full days in Cape Town while on the ship at the end of the voyage.

This will be our first visit in Africa so we would like to do a few safaris while visiting these ports and would like to add Victoria Falls at the beginning or end of the cruise.

Is December not an ideal time to visit this area?  There are only cruises in December so we don't have any options for another time of the year.

Any one has insight into this?  We don't want to waste our money on a cruise if the timing is not good for safaris during this time.

Thanks for any help.

Twee

It's summertime so the weather is likely to be perfect, but because of foliage the game is a little more difficult to spot. But we were in Kruger and other NPs at that time of year & weren't disappointed.

From Port Elizabeth, Addo Elephant Park is only a half-hour drive. Despite its name Addo has a variety of game, lots of antelope species, zebra, warthogs & such - but sightings of big cats are rare. There are a couple of private reserves adjacent the park's northern boundary, about an hour from P.E.

From Richards Bay, Saint Lucia is about an hour & a quarter. It's known for hippos, which congregate in big numbers - plenty of boat trips from adjacent the bridge into town.. And it's the southern entrance to iSimangaliso NP. Again plenty of game, elephants & such but again big cats are rare (absent?).

I have little doubt that you can fix tours to those NPs, but we found it best by rented car.

You won't get the full safari experience on a port-of-call day-trip but it'll be a good day.

Can't help with Durban or East London - but IMHO both are poor ports-of-call, so ideal for a safari day if there's somewhere for a worthwhile one. 

No suitable safaris near Cape Town, but it has so much else to offer that you wouldn't have time anyway. Try to fit in the vineyards & the coast south of the city (far better than to the north). Can be done on the ho-ho (I recommend) but to drive further south, beyond Houts Bay - over Chapman's Peak & down to the Cape of Good Hope needs a tour or car+driver or rented car. 

For Table Mountain, pre-book or go early. Can be misty, so go on Day One if the weather's clear. IIRC we took an early ho-ho tour, one of the first stops is the cablecar for Table Mountain & from the bus we saw there were no lines, the weather was great, so we hopped off.

If you plan to take a safari pre- or post-cruise, further north (beyond Vic Falls & into Tanzania) Dec is during the Great Migration time - game viewing can be spectacular depending on the migration's route and weather, difficult to predict.

Something we'r considering for next year.

Me - I'd forgo Vic Falls & do what we did - spend a few days with a rented car in Kruger NP & staying in a rondeval (bungalow) in a rest camp. Or fix a 2/3/4 day inclusive safari in a private reserve if you have deep pockets

But if Vic Falls is on your bucket-list........

JB :classic_smile:  

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

Brilliant response from JB and I would second that you are not going to get the best safari experience on day trips from cruise ships. We are off to South Africa next week for our fifth visit doing our usual diy road trip in a rental car. For me your best choices would be: Port Elizabeth - Addo. Richards Bay - the hippos in St Lucia are a must. Durban - have a look at the Midlands Meander (you would need a driver).

Save your safari for pre or post cruise either in the Kruger or Eastern Cape (malaria free) - can recommend Shamwari and Amakhala. In December 2017 we had an amazing self drive day in the Kruger where we saw 4 of the big 5 and lots more - all for $40. The best ‘full on’ safari experiences are probably in the private game reserves eg Sabi Sands, but as JB says you need deep pockets.

Thank you JB and Omega1 for your insight.  I will look into land trips versus the cruise to see if that is a better option for us.  Will need to do a lot more research to have a better grasp of the safaris options.

I do appreciate your time in responding to my question.

Twee

Just some info as I just finished a SA cruise on Pursuit and spoke with Richard the future cruise person who happens to be a South African.

we are booked on the February 10th cruise with same itinerary. He told us that the overnight at Pindida safari lodge is spectacular.

It goes either from Durban or Richards Bay.

We got sticker shock at the price of AZ’s pre or post Vic Falls Safari so we are working on our on tour with a company our TA works with.

Vic Falls in Dec - March I am told is heavy water so a lot of spray and best way to see is helecopter, not sure I am up for that.

12 hours ago, Trend said:

Just some info as I just finished a SA cruise on Pursuit and spoke with Richard the future cruise person who happens to be a South African.

we are booked on the February 10th cruise with same itinerary. He told us that the overnight at Pindida safari lodge is spectacular.

It goes either from Durban or Richards Bay.

We got sticker shock at the price of AZ’s pre or post Vic Falls Safari so we are working on our on tour with a company our TA works with.

Vic Falls in Dec - March I am told is heavy water so a lot of spray and best way to see is helecopter, not sure I am up for that.

Can't find "Pindida" , could the lodge you mentioned be in Phinda Game Reserve, beyond Richards Bay?

$630 pppn :classic_ohmy:

But that's about the mark for good lodges on good private reserves. With daughter & S-i-L my o/h did a safari at a lodge in Sabi Sands, probably the best reserve in the Kruger area. Still enthusing about it - saw all the Big Five on day one, saw kills, saw a leopard drag its kill up a tree (standard practice for leopards to get away from hyenas & such), saw wild dogs (rare sightings), saw hyena den and young..

Following year we took a road trip across S.A., including an inexpensive stay in a govt "rest camp" in Kruger NP (saw plenty of wildlife including four of the Big Five) and a private reserve in Timbavati Reserve. That lodge was half the price of Sabi Sands and the standards were equally-exceptional - but safaris are for the game, and that was sorely lacking in Timbavati. Not one big cat in the 3 days, and little other wildlife - all very disappointing.

Hence I suggest you bite the bullet / pay through the nose for somewhere like Sabi Sands, or get great value in the NP.

Lodges on private reserves all have the same routine - your first day you arrive around noon / early pm. Afternoon game drive, tea, late afternoon / early evening game drive, dinner. Mebbe a night drive or bush walk. Your last day like other days you have an early start (about 5.30 am) for a game drive, breakfast, mebbe another game drive, lunch, then depart. So that'd be the routine for a one-night stay.

The NP is more of a DIY - either self-drive or on pay organised 4x4s. All vehicles in the NP have to stick to the marked roads & tracks, so there's little point in renting a 4x4 rather than a car. You can stay in accommodation in villages outside the Park, or in rest camps in the Park. Day visitors must be out of the park during the hours of darkness, those in rest camps must remain in the camp confines during the hours of darkness but have a head-start over day-visitors. Even in the NP it's not over-run with visitors. Camps are "rustic" but comfortable with plenty of facilities - pools, bars, shop, good restaurants etc. and each dwelling has basic self-catering and a braal (BBQ).

The official website has a lot of information but IMHO it's not reader-friendly. Quite obviously designed by civil servants, so you do need to study it. But in the Park itself it's not bureaucratic.

https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/

More & better info and comparisons at  https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g312618-i9872-k7790292-How_to_do_Kruger_A_comparison_of_Private_Reserves_and_KNP-Kruger_National_Park.html

BTW, there's no malaria anywhere in the area, and we had no problems with "little friends".

JB :classic_smile:.

Not sure about December but it is January 15 in Capetown and currently 87 degrees in the City Center. Our cruise leaves next week. We got in early. Wil be in Richards Bay, East London and  Port Elizabeth. ...oceania Nautica

You are correct my spelling was incorrect.

My comment was on their pre and post pkg oh $23 K for 5 days 2 nights in a camp.

For a visit overnight to Vic Falls a train ride,walk and flights plus overnight in Joburg.

Yes I have researched and know good lodges/camps are expensive but in Can$ that seemed outlandish.

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

BTW, there's no malaria anywhere in the area, and we had no problems with "little friends".

JB :classic_smile:.

Sorry to contradict, but malaria certainly is present in the Kruger..

https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/tourism/malaria.php

From the Fit for Travel NHS website for South Africa:

Malaria

Malaria is a serious and sometimes fatal disease transmitted by mosquitoes.You cannot be vaccinated against malaria. 

Malaria precautions

Malaria Map

• Malaria risk is present throughout the year, but highest from September to May inclusive. Risk is high in low altitude areas of Mpumalanga Province (including Kruger National Park) and Limpopo Province, Vhembe and Mopani districts, Musina, Thohoyandou and surrounds. There is low to no risk areas in all other areas.
  • Malaria precautions are essential. Avoid mosquito bites by covering up with clothing such as long sleeves and long trousers especially after sunset, using insect repellents on exposed skin and, when necessary, sleeping under a mosquito net.
  • Check with your doctor or nurse about suitable antimalarial tablets.
  • See malaria map – additional information can be found by clicking on the Regional Information icon below the map. 
  • High risk areas: atovaquone/proguanil OR doxycycline OR mefloquineis usually advised for those visiting risk areas.
  • Low to no risk areas: antimalarials are not usually advised.
  • If you have been travelling in a malarious area and develop a fever seek medical attention promptly. Remember malaria can develop even up to one year after exposure.
  • If travelling to an area remote from medical facilities, carrying standby emergency treatment for malaria may be considered.

Edited by Omega1

Thanks for the correction, Omega

You're right, I'm wrong.:classic_blush:

But we were advised that tabs were needed only for at-risk groups.

Have just checked - some websites say low-medium risk, some (incl NaTHNac) say medium, some say high.

Whatever, we survived. :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

I am South African and I will not risk going to the Kruger in the summer months without taking antimalarial tablets. Also, it is much too hot in that area in December which (a) makes it unpleasant on game drives and (b) means that you will see less animals. Unless you go to Sabie (as mentioned at a hefty price)... but you can't escape the mosquitoes.

Personally, in the case of the OP, I would recommend going to Pilansberg or Waterberg (not quite as hot as Kruger and no malaria). Both areas have lodges that are cheaper on the pocket and both have the Big 5. We have have been on numerous occasions to both these areas and never been disappointed. The only drawback is that you are far less likely to see leopards than at Sabie. 

Some suggestions at Waterberg are Hanglip Mountain Lodge and Wildside Camp. Wildside Camp is "glamping" at its best!

At Pilansberg, Ivory Tree Lodge, Black Rhino, Bakubung or Kwa Maritane (The first two lodges are smaller and so more personal)

Or try Mabula - good value and lots of animals.

Just got back from a three week trip to South Africa including a cruise. Happy to answer questions. Johns advice was spot on. I would strongly recommend you take a safari either before or after the cruise. Day trips to "game reserves" during the heat of the day will not give you a safari experience. We stayed at the Bush House in Madikwe Game Reserve. Highly recommend this lodge and its malaria free.  

On 1/22/2019 at 12:43 PM, Mercury said:

Personally, in the case of the OP, I would recommend going to Pilansberg or Waterberg (not quite as hot as Kruger and no malaria). Both areas have lodges that are cheaper on the pocket and both have the Big 5. We have have been on numerous occasions to both these areas and never been disappointed. The only drawback is that you are far less likely to see leopards than at Sabie. 

Some suggestions at Waterberg are Hanglip Mountain Lodge and Wildside Camp. Wildside Camp is "glamping" at its best!

Also up in the Waterberg: Welgevonden reserve, which has a number of lodges that take bookings from the public. I've now been there four times, including staying three times at Nungubane.

Great info.

what is the opinion about Victoria Falls in Feb next year as we need to make choices to stay in a budget.

We had wanted to go to Zanzibar but it is either or can’t fit falls and Zanzibar in budget.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on a post Azamara cruise excursion to Kapama Game Reserve in January 2020.  What can you tell us about Kapama?  Are we going to need to take anti malaria medications?  Thank you for any information you can provide.

Barbara and Bob 

On 2/2/2019 at 6:02 PM, isbclarin said:

We are booked on a post Azamara cruise excursion to Kapama Game Reserve in January 2020.  What can you tell us about Kapama?  Are we going to need to take anti malaria medications?  Thank you for any information you can provide.

Barbara and Bob 

Regarding anti malaria meds - that’s a tricky one. Kapama is on the edge of the high risk malaria area. For me, I’m not a risk taker on health matters, so I would take the meds. Last year we did a couple of self drive days in the Kruger and got a few bites. If you buy anti malarials buy the generic atovaquone/proguanil. It’s much cheaper than the branded Malarone (same drug).

On 1/25/2019 at 4:19 PM, Trend said:

Great info.

what is the opinion about Victoria Falls in Feb next year as we need to make choices to stay in a budget.

We had wanted to go to Zanzibar but it is either or can’t fit falls and Zanzibar in budget.

Personally, I would choose Vic Falls. Recommend the Zambian side.

• 2 weeks later...

We are Holland America cruisers, and it is strongly rumored that they will be offering a Grand Africa, 80-day voyage in October - December, 2020.  We recently took their Grand Asia and Pacific and loved the experience.  Now we are looking for another long cruise.

I have never been particularly interested in the African continent, other than wanting to see Capetown, so I need some encouragement to enlighten me and tell me that we would be passing up a really great  opportunity by not going.  I am not the outdoor, camping type and suspect that a safari would not be my cup of tea.  Would we really miss a lot by not going on one?  I know that we can't get the real flavor of a safari on a ship's excursion, even if it overnight, but would it mildly suffice as an introduction?  I suspect that it would be analogous to seeing Antarctica from a ship or actually walking on the ice.  

Please tell me about the scenery, weather, sights, etc.  Please excuse my ignorance, but I really do want to be informed.  Thanks so much.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:19 AM, Trend said:

Great info.

Victoria Falls accommodation can be really expensive especially in the summer months. Same for Zanzibar because of the beautiful beaches. Add in a helicopter at the Falls and the dollars start piling up. You might like to compare the cost of getting to and from the Falls and Zanzibar, and the accomodation at both. If you do choose Vic Falls pack your wet weather gear 😂.  

20 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

We are Holland America cruisers, and it is strongly rumored that they will be offering a Grand Africa, 80-day voyage in October - December, 2020.  We recently took their Grand Asia and Pacific and loved the experience.  Now we are looking for another long cruise.

I have never been particularly interested in the African continent, other than wanting to see Capetown, so I need some encouragement to enlighten me and tell me that we would be passing up a really great  opportunity by not going.  I am not the outdoor, camping type and suspect that a safari would not be my cup of tea.  Would we really miss a lot by not going on one?  I know that we can't get the real flavor of a safari on a ship's excursion, even if it overnight, but would it mildly suffice as an introduction?  I suspect that it would be analogous to seeing Antarctica from a ship or actually walking on the ice.  

Please tell me about the scenery, weather, sights, etc.  Please excuse my ignorance, but I really do want to be informed.  Thanks so much.

Without knowing the itinerary, I will speak only for South Africa as I live here and have travelled extensively around the country and done many safaris.

First off, a safari for a tourist is not typically a cheap camping holiday. It is a full board experience with two game drives a day and accommodation as luxurious as you want to spend money on.

There are no words to describe what a wonderful experience it is. You cannot describe how special it is to see an African sunset in the bush while you sip a glass of red wine. There are no words to describe seeing the animals roam freely:  A leopard playing with a tortoise,  a baby rhino with her mother, a pair of lilac breasted rollers in a tree, a crocodile lazing in the sun, hippos fighting for dominance. 

There are no words to describe hearing a lion roar, an elephant break a thick branch of a tree, monkeys chattering.

A favourite is the smell of the bush at dusk and dawn.

These are just some of my experiences over the years and I never tire of it. Having been to over 50 countries from Antarctica to Russia, to the USA to Argentina, I can honestly say that for me there is no better experience. 

We typically go for 2-3 nights once a year.

So try to see if your itinerary includes opportunities to do this. With 80 days - it will be very likely!

The best safaris are in the northern parts of South Africa (Sabi Sands, Timbavati, Kruger) as well as Madikwe, Pilansberg, Waterberg/Welgevonden and none of these areas are close to the sea. If you miss going to any of these, you could go to Nambiti, Hluhluwe, Phinda which are in Natal and therefore closer to the sea. Or Shamwari which is close to Port Elizabeth.

The weather will be hot - although not as hot as it gets in January. The days are long.

Besides Cape Town (which is obviously a must), it would be highly recommended to visit the Garden Route (the ship would probably stop in Mossel Bay). You can very easily spend 3 days in the area between Mossel Bay, Wilderness, Sedgefield and Knysna, with a visit to Oudtshoorn also recommended.

You would need a stop in Port Elizabeth (for Tsitsikamma and Plettenberg Bay). 

Good luck with your planning - it will be an amazing trip! I could write for hours on the beauty of this country but I think that gives you a good idea!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mercury said:

Without knowing the itinerary, I will speak only for South Africa as I live here and have travelled extensively around the country and done many safaris.

First off, a safari for a tourist is not typically a cheap camping holiday. It is a full board experience with two game drives a day and accommodation as luxurious as you want to spend money on.

There are no words to describe what a wonderful experience it is. You cannot describe how special it is to see an African sunset in the bush while you sip a glass of red wine. There are no words to describe seeing the animals roam freely:  A leopard playing with a tortoise,  a baby rhino with her mother, a pair of lilac breasted rollers in a tree, a crocodile lazing in the sun, hippos fighting for dominance. 

There are no words to describe hearing a lion roar, an elephant break a thick branch of a tree, monkeys chattering.

A favourite is the smell of the bush at dusk and dawn.

These are just some of my experiences over the years and I never tire of it. Having been to over 50 countries from Antarctica to Russia, to the USA to Argentina, I can honestly say that for me there is no better experience. 

We typically go for 2-3 nights once a year.

So try to see if your itinerary includes opportunities to do this. With 80 days - it will be very likely!

The best safaris are in the northern parts of South Africa (Sabi Sands, Timbavati, Kruger) as well as Madikwe, Pilansberg, Waterberg/Welgevonden and none of these areas are close to the sea. If you miss going to any of these, you could go to Nambiti, Hluhluwe, Phinda which are in Natal and therefore closer to the sea. Or Shamwari which is close to Port Elizabeth.

The weather will be hot - although not as hot as it gets in January. The days are long.

Besides Cape Town (which is obviously a must), it would be highly recommended to visit the Garden Route (the ship would probably stop in Mossel Bay). You can very easily spend 3 days in the area between Mossel Bay, Wilderness, Sedgefield and Knysna, with a visit to Oudtshoorn also recommended.

You would need a stop in Port Elizabeth (for Tsitsikamma and Plettenberg Bay). 

Good luck with your planning - it will be an amazing trip! I could write for hours on the beauty of this country but I think that gives you a good idea!

Thank you so much for replying, Mercury.  Now I am quite interested in seeing what the proposed itinerary might be and I will be looking at it in relation to your post.  I do appreciate the time that you have taken to introduce me to your beautiful country.  Much reading to be done!  

Yes Vic will be wet but that is what I expect from the Falls. I looked at weather right now and out of 7 days there were storms called for. Our African TA said they never book clients in Feb/March for Zanzibar.

Tampa Girl our cruise is 10 days and they offer several choices for overnight safari lodges.