Questions to help us book our upcoming trip on the Grand

Dani24

We're preparing to book our next cruise on the Grand to Alaska, RT out of SF. It's been 9 years since we last cruised Princess, so I'm sure a lot has changed since then (and I'd be grateful for any pointers!) It will be me, DH and our daughter (who will be newly 7).

A few specific questions I had:

1) We want a balcony or higher. Is there a better side of the ship for this sailing (we're going to Hubbard Glacier)? We could also get one of the bigger aft balconies on Dolphin or Emerald. DH is prone to motion sickness... is there a lot of motion back there? Any experience with noise back there as well? 

2) How do the beds work for the 3rd passenger on the Grand (particularly in balconies or above)? Can you have the bottom beds configured as a Queen and have the 3rd upper bed pulled down above it? Or is it only Twins available with the upper? That might make the difference between a balcony and mini-suite. 

3) If we did Traditional dining, does Princess try to match families with similarly aged children? We previously loved Anytime Dining on Princess. But on our last Disney cruise, we shared a table with another family and were matched with a girl our daughter's age. Our daughter really enjoyed having a "friend" to dine with. But I'd hate for her to get stuck with a table of even more adults, or teenagers (she'll glom on to any kid -- but the older kids might not care for a 7 year old as their new BFF).   

1. The naturalist on our Christmas cruise jumped in to talk about the upcoming Alaska cruises.  According to her, the port side is the better view for Alaska.  We booked a port side balcony room because of her recommendation.  It was very choppy when we were going in and out of the SF area.  My family thought it was much worse when we were in the far front or far back of the ship.  Our room was in the middle and it wasn't as bad there.

2.  We just got off the Grand and had a 3 person balcony room (room #A424).  We had the bottom two beds as a queen and the top bunk dropped down from the ceiling.  I think I have a picture but I will have to look and get back here.

3. I don't know but I would love to know the answer too.

IMG_5295.JPG

Edited by atobols
Added a picture
  • Like 1

Here is a video I did of an aft balcony on Dolphin. Huge balcony. Yes it is noisy and it vibrates. Wife and I dont mind as it is worth it for the cabin. We are also the type of couple that sleeps all night with the TV on, so sound is something we tune out. We did a 3 family UBD on the balcony. As far as movement, I do not remember it being any different than any other balcony I have had, both forward and midship from deck E to C.

web-1706.jpg

web-1707.jpg

wow that is a big balcony.  To the OP;  the water going to Alaska and back to SF can be choppy.  You are in the ocean; once you get to the inner area you will be fine.  We did Alaska last year on Emerald.  Did inside passage;  smooth as silk.  No issues for us.

I just wanted to add that we were on deck 12.  The tables around the pool were right above us.  We could hear them dragging the tables and chairs across the floor every night when they were cleaning.  It was loud but there was only one night it really bothered us.  We chose to book rooms on deck 10 for the next two cruises.  I wanted the bigger balcony and not to have the pool directly above us.