Viking Star Horn Battle

Homosassa

27 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Love it! In 2015 we were leaving Southampton on the Royal Princess.  The horn plays the Love Boat theme.  As we sailed out past the Queen Mary 2 the captain came on and said,   we are going to blow our horn for them "just because we can!"  Of course they responded and it went back and forth a few times but they couldn't compete with the Love Boat.  It brought great smiles to everyone's faces.  Fun way to start a cruise.  

1 hour ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Love it! In 2015 we were leaving Southampton on the Royal Princess.  The horn plays the Love Boat theme.  As we sailed out past the Queen Mary 2 the captain came on and said,   we are going to blow our horn for them "just because we can!"  Of course they responded and it went back and forth a few times but they couldn't compete with the Love Boat.  It brought great smiles to everyone's faces.  Fun way to start a cruise.  

We had that horn battle with Royal Princess too in Tallin Estonia but we were on Celebrity Equinox. QM2 played Proud Mary really loudly as we cruised out of Sydney Harbour a couple of years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Pushka said:

We had that horn battle with Royal Princess too in Tallin Estonia but we were on Celebrity Equinox. QM2 played Proud Mary really loudly as we cruised out of Sydney Harbour a couple of years ago. 

That's funny.  Maybe after getting out done by the Royal and/or Regal a few times they had to come up with a good response.  I love Proud Mary.  That would have been fun.  We overlapped days in SP on our cruise with the Regal, the Royal's sister ship, so we had the dueling Love Boat themes as we left port.  Speaking of Tallin, we were "parked" right next to the Viking Star while there.  Since it was 2015 it had to be one of it's earlier cruises, so I had forgotten that we had already seen her prior to our upcoming trip.  Here we are.  Our cabin was right across from the Star's bridge.  Royal is way too big.  Wouldn't do again.

DSC05903.JPG

• Like 1

I was in port on Star with Sea  in port at the same time a few months ago in Saguenay, CA a few months ago.  We departed port first and the horn competition was much greater than the one in the video.  It was a cold, wet, miserable evening, but the horns livened the evening and made everyone feel much better about the raw day.  It went on for 4-5 minutes as Star did a 180 degree turn to head out (we were both tendered).

• Like 1

This is our photo from Tallin and we were berthed (Celebrity) next to Viking Star. We didn’t expect to be on a Viking ship at the time (but now going on Orion to Alaska) but brother and SIL were doing the Midnight Sun cruise. I think Royal is at the far right then another ship - maybe HAL, then Viking, then us. 

D0C64156-8EAA-402C-9053-B82A7DDE0067.png

Edited by Pushka

52 minutes ago, Pushka said:

This is our photo from Tallin and we were berthed (Celebrity) next to Viking Star. We didn’t expect to be on a Viking ship at the time (but now going on Orion to Alaska) but brother and SIL were doing the Midnight Sun cruise. I think Royal is at the far right then another ship - maybe HAL, then Viking, then us. 

D0C64156-8EAA-402C-9053-B82A7DDE0067.png

Living in California, we have cruised to Alaska 3 times and would go again.  I looked at your itinerary.  Glad you are getting to see Sitka as not as many lines stop there as much as they used to.  It's one of my favorite ports and liked it so much that we flew up there for a week a couple of years ago.  The included excursion will show you the best of town, especially the Totem Park and Museum, and is probably the best choice in my opinion. In both Sitka and Juneau there is a House of Russia shop if you are interested in either the Nesting Dolls or Lacquer Boxes which are authentic,  made in Russia.

• Like 1