Demographics of "Studio Cabin" Guests?

jimdee3636

I'm booked in a studio cabin on the Bliss for a 6-night L.A.-to-Vancouver cruise in late April. I've read a review here that described the studio lounge as having the atmosphere of an "upscale youth hostel." For me, the "upscale" part is fine, the "youth hostel" is not (I'm 71). Is it really true that only twenty-somethings stay in the studio cabins and use the studio lounge? I'm going regardless, but I'd like to know what to expect. Thanks.

I've sailed in Studio cabins three times and while there was a few young people the majority of people I would consider middle aged.  Definitely not a party crowd, if that is what you are worried about.  It's a fun way to cruise and meet other solo travelers. 

While I haven't sailed in a studio, I have spoken to fellow passengers that were in them and the demographic was definitely varied. Actually most of the solo travelers I chatted with were older than me (I'm 41). I'm sure you will have a great time no matter what,  Happy Sailing!

I had the same anxiety before my first time in a studio, when I was 66. In particular, I imagined that a solo older man would be unwelcome if there were young women in the studio lounge (dirty old man!).

There was a wide range of ages at the solo gatherings each afternoon, but most were between 40 and 70. A significant number of retirees, some early-retired, others of traditional retirement age. There were some who were younger, but not a plurality.

I am a senior lady and have sailed in a studio once with 2 more in the works. Most of the people I met were older but then I wasn't looking for a cruise buddy. You are under no obligation to spend your time within the confines of the studios just like any other cabin. The studio itself is set up like a college  dorm room and well organized in my opinion. I am out and about most of the time  and enjoyed my cruise experience in a studio.

36 here. I had only sailed balconies until I did a porthole window cabin a couple of years ago, which was fine. I realized at that time that I only used a room for showering, getting ready, and *ahem* sleeping, so I decided to see what a lower class cabin was like. I was surprised to find that I didn't notice a big difference between the balcony and port window rooms. (Side note: the NCL Epic balconies were really small and not as much fun to lounge on as the Carnival ships so that may have colored my perception of balcony rooms and their overall value.)

For my next cruise (in a couple of weeks) my SO and I are going to try an inside room. I'll admit that I'm a little nervous that I won't like it, but it's only a 5 day cruise so if I don't like it, I don't have to "suffer" for very long. That said, I am thinking about submitting a higher upgrade bid. I think in the end, the balcony is still probably the sweet spot for me in terms of value but the porthole window was pretty good too. The Haven looks so nice, but again, I just really don't spend much time in the rooms.   

I did it as a 44/45 yo (or so) on the Epic in the Med and honestly don't think I ever actually saw any other person in the lounge.   Most of the people I saw coming/going to the cabins were probably 30+. (granted, it was early in the Med season and college was still in session so not to many 20 somethings were jetting off to Europe for a cruise)

• Like 1

I have been on three cruises in studio cabins, two on Getaway and one on Epic.  I found that most of the studio passengers were older, age 60 and up.  One lady I met was 85.  There were more women than men.  The studio lounge was a nice place for a conversation and get-together, and people all seemed to get along regardless of age.  Nancy

• Like 1

On the Breakaway last month Norwegian was putting some of the guest entertainment staff up in the studios ( nice guys). I’ve never traveled studio because I’ve always been able to find a cheaper standard inside solo room. One of the entertainers ( who had his luggage lost enroute to the ship) commented on how small the studio was and suggested all his “stuff” wouldn’t have fit in it had it in fact not been lost. I don’t think he traveled very lightly though. He did mention enjoying a coffee machine or something of the like in the “lounge”.

The Lounge is amazing (Escape).  Super awesome coffee and snacks 24/7.  Hardly anyone was there.  I rarely saw anyone in the halls other than my cabin steward (but then again, I was out by 6 a.m./ returned mid day (sometimes) /and returned in the evening at hours I can"t recall).  LOL!

Oh sure, everything differs by sailing and who is staying in Studio during your trip.  Have no worries.  You will be fine.  Enjoy 🙂

I'm the culprit that described the look of the lounge area as an upscale youth hostile, but I didn't mean demographics at all.  I'm 58 and only saw that area due to some new friends in their 50s showing it to us.  I have a 23 year old who did a study abroad in Italy a few years back when he was in college, and I helped him plan his post trip exploring, looking for really nice youth hostile places and the nicer ones reminded me of the NCL studio area -- cute, modern, upscale, inviting lounge area.  That's all I meant by that comment.  From what I saw I'd pick this area on NCL for sure if I were doing a solo cruise and/or if I was cruising with others, but didn't want to share a cabin with them (and like I said earlier in this post, I'm 58).

13 hours ago, kathy884 said:

I'm the culprit that described the look of the lounge area as an upscale youth hostile, but I didn't mean demographics at all.  I'm 58 and only saw that area due to some new friends in their 50s showing it to us.  I have a 23 year old who did a study abroad in Italy a few years back when he was in college, and I helped him plan his post trip exploring, looking for really nice youth hostile places and the nicer ones reminded me of the NCL studio area -- cute, modern, upscale, inviting lounge area.  That's all I meant by that comment.  From what I saw I'd pick this area on NCL for sure if I were doing a solo cruise and/or if I was cruising with others, but didn't want to share a cabin with them (and like I said earlier in this post, I'm 58).

Kathy:

Your initial review may have inadvertently misled me, but I appreciate your clarification. In fact, because I felt the need to pose my question I've learned a lot about these cabins---more than I would have otherwise.

So, thanks!

Jim

I have done studios on EPIC, Escape, and Bliss.  Each lounge is different and I would say the Escape was the best. They had nicer tables and chairs.  I felt the Bliss tables were too low and the lounge was highly air conditioned.

I like the studios for the reason they are inside hallways and rather quiet.  Some staying in the Studios are "odd man/woman out" in their group.  Like a grandma or grandpa or Aunt or Uncle.  Then others are truly solo and wanting to save money.

I found that most folks keep to themselves a bit and will be friendly even.  Don't go with idea of making lots of buddies and friends.  go with the idea of SAVING money in a quiet area of the ship with lounge for tea and coffee and cookies. No ice.

The size is just right and room under bed for suitcase.  One can sit in bed and just reach for remote or ice bucket etc etc.

But no lounge has ice machine.  Biggest complaint.

Otherwise staying in studios allows for money to be used elsewhere like shore excursions and dining.  

To add to the demographic request - I'll be 39 by the time this cruise sails, I'll be on board (just paid my deposit and booked flights today).  I'll go check in to the roll call...

I've cruised on RCCL before, on the Explorer of the Seas in 2014 and Anthem last year.  Anthem also has Studio cabins (but no lounge as they're scattered) so I'm curious to compare the two.  My previous cruises were with family, this one is a pure solo trip.

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to say thank you to all who responded to this question.  I'm a 68 year old widow and was nervous about staying in a studio cabin because I thought it would be all young and noisy people.  It seems that is not at all the case and you reassured me that I made the right choice.

• Like 1