Hotel Cinquantatre

RBAlbany

Small rooms are the norm in Europe and most hotels (other than American chains and suites) have them. I wouldn't let that put you off; how much time will you really spend in your room when you are in Rome?  :classic_cool:

I haven't stayed there, but it's a bit of a hobby of mine to consider various Rome hotels and locations. Rome is a place where an okay hotel in a good location would almost always trump a great hotel in a not-so-great location. This is mainly because Rome is all about exploring on foot, if possible, and the central historic area is very easy to get around by walking if you are well located.

I will just suggest that saying this hotel is close to Trevi Fountain is a bit misleading. It's actually about a 15-minute walk at a reasonable pace and there are many closer (and more central) hotels.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Small rooms are the norm in Europe and most hotels (other than American chains and suites) have them. I wouldn't let that put you off; how much time will you really spend in your room when you are in Rome?  :classic_cool:

I haven't stayed there, but it's a bit of a hobby of mine to consider various Rome hotels and locations. Rome is a place where an okay hotel in a good location would almost always trump a great hotel in a not-so-great location. This is mainly because Rome is all about exploring on foot, if possible, and the central historic area is very easy to get around by walking if you are well located.

I will just suggest that saying this hotel is close to Trevi Fountain is a bit misleading. It's actually about a 15-minute walk at a reasonable pace and there are many closer (and more central) hotels.

Can you recommend a hotel at a comparable price.  Our desire is to be centrally located.  My son who has been to Rome will be with us, and can help us get around.

59 minutes ago, RBAlbany said:

Can you recommend a hotel at a comparable price.  Our desire is to be centrally located.  My son who has been to Rome will be with us, and can help us get around.

When are you planning to be in Rome?  Hotel prices vary greatly by season.  Or give me a range you'd consider and then I could provide better suggestions.

The rates on offer at Hotel Cinquantatre are pretty low for Rome. For about $30 more per night, I can recommend Hotel Smeraldo, which is very well located just to the south of Piazza Navona and the Pantheon and it has gotten good reviews from friends and from others here on CC.

https://www.smeraldoroma.com/en/

The hotel is small and it does book up well in advance.

Another option, one that I've stayed in, is Hotel Navona, which is located on several floors of an old palazzo (with columns in front that date to Roman times). Rooms are small-ish but all very modern and the location is excellent, tucked into a quiet street between the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.  If you book in advance and get their discount code, the cost is only slightly more than the Hotel Cinquantatre.  

https://www.hotelnavona.com/index-eng.htm

(My comparisons are based on a regular double room on the dates you listed...)

Hey CruiseMom!

Long time without need to ask you for advice but just book d a TA and planning four days in a Rome.  Poor planning but we arrive Monday of Holy Week (15 April) and fly out on Good Friday. Can you recommend a hotel or apartment hotel that has two bedroom/two bathroom suites or apartments?

Thanks  (again) in advance!