Live from the Emerald Princess - L.A. to Hawaii - 18 Jan - 02 Feb 2019

Croptop

OK. The cruise doesn't board until tomorrow but I'm currently sitting in a metal tube hurtling through the sky at 685 km/h somewhere 10000 metres over Nebraska so I figure my vacation has officially started. There's solid cloud cover so I can't watch the landscape drift by, I don't want to watch any shows or movies, and I'm not in the mood to read my book either. So I figured I'd start a "Live from..." thread a day early.

I'm going into this cruise with pretty much nothing planned in advance. I'm just going to wing it and have a good time no matter what I end up doing. I can't promise that I'll post any interesting stories like some of the regular posters on this board and I'm not hauling around a bunch of camera gear so any photos I post will come from my phone. 

I'll keep this short for now because the  cloud cover is starting to break up a bit and we're *this* close to crossing into Colorado's airspace (and we all know Colorado from 10000 metres is way more interesting than Nebraska from 10000 metres, right?

Two hours and forty-eight mins until we reach LAX. Then I have to figure out how I'm getting from the airport to San Pedro. Because where's the fun in making transportation reservations in advance? Takes all the adventure out of things. 🙂

• Like 3

Aloha CropTop, We are on the cruise now. Presently in Ensenada chillin on our balcony.Embarcation was a breeze in LA, boarded aroun 130 and accessed our cabin right away. As many others have stated ,the first couple days are rougher seas than closer to Hawaii. Our favorite excursion was HawaiianBotanical Garden in Hilo. The “club class”” dining was wonderful as we are in Suite A750 Aft.Sure is a relaxing and quiet ship which is fine with us. Have a wonderful cruise,any questions fire away. BitburgBoy 

1 minute ago, BitburgBoy said:

Aloha CropTop, We are on the cruise now. Presently in Ensenada chillin on our balcony.Embarcation was a breeze in LA, boarded aroun 130 and accessed our cabin right away. As many others have stated ,the first couple days are rougher seas than closer to Hawaii. Our favorite excursion was HawaiianBotanical Garden in Hilo. The “club class”” dining was wonderful as we are in Suite A750 Aft.Sure is a relaxing and quiet ship which is fine with us. Have a wonderful cruise,any questions fire away. BitburgBoy 

I don’t want to hijack the OPs thread so I’ll start another about A750. Would you be so kind to respond?

Thanks

Since you don't have anything planned...

In Honolulu, you can take "Da Bus" for very little $$ (thebus.org): $2.75 one way or $5.50 for a day pass. If you have a Medicare card: $1.00 one way or $2.00 for a day pass. You can take the bus to Waikiki, Hanaumi Bay or the Arizona Memorial (We've done all 3 at one time or another). The shuttle to Hilo Hattie's takes you to Ala Moana Mall (it's HUGE).

On Kauai, the boss costs $1.00 for the shuttle (the route is a circle around the town more or less)...25 cents if you're a senior (kauai.gov/bus).

Thanks for the recommendations JF. Much appreciated.

Well, I made it to L.A. 

Grey, drizzly L.A. But it's above zero and not snowing so no major complaints on my part.

I got checked in at the DoubleTree in San Pedro. I have a nice view looking out over the marina (the LA Yacht Club, I believe). Lots of nice boats to stare at as I slowly fall asleep. I'll probably be able to keep my eyes open long enough to get a quick bite to eat and that's about it. 

Of course, I'll be wide awake at 0300hrs tomorrow morning I'm sure. 

The view out my window:

IMG_20190117_160737.thumb.jpg.1a72a308ab3385bd6e28a589351f2cbe.jpg

19 minutes ago, rugerdog said:

What did you use for transport from LAX to the port?

I was going to be adventurous but I ended up caving and grabbing an Uber. 

US$37 from LAX to the DoubleTree. the DoubleTree has a free shuttle to the port that I will take tomorrow morning.

3 minutes ago, Croptop said:

I was going to be adventurous but I ended up caving and grabbing an Uber. 

US$37 from LAX to the DoubleTree. the DoubleTree has a free shuttle to the port that I will take tomorrow morning.

Excellent!  Thanks for the info.  What was your "adventurous" idea?

13 hours ago, rugerdog said:

Excellent!  Thanks for the info.  What was your "adventurous" idea?

When I travel to a new city, I sometimes like to find my way from the airport to my hotel via public transport and there were some instructions posted on the roll call for this cruise that claimed I could get from the airport to the hotel for about $2.50. I was going to give it a go but I was just too tired by the time I had collected my bag and was ready to leave the airport.

18 minutes ago, Croptop said:

When I travel to a new city, I sometimes like to find my way from the airport to my hotel via public transport and there were some instructions posted on the roll call for this cruise that claimed I could get from the airport to the hotel for about $2.50. I was going to give it a go but I was just too tired by the time I had collected my bag and was ready to leave the airport.

I admire your spirit!

Adventurous indeed!   Public transport in Los Angeles doesn't sound like something I'd be willing to tackle after a long flight, and with luggage.  

Today's the big day, Bon Voyage!  Looking forward to your updates, thanks for sharing with us.  

18 January 2019

I usually get up at 0600hrs when I'm home and so, given the time difference, I was fully expecting to snap wide awake at 0300hrs. I was not disappointed. There's not a lot to do at 3 in the morning so I turned on the TV and tuned it to HBO in the hopes that some boring movie would lull me to sleep. I don't remember of the name of the movie that was just starting so it did it's job. 

I snoozed off and on until about 0700hrs and then just gave up and hopped into the shower to get ready for the day.

Even at 0730hrs, the hotel restaurant was pretty busy, filled with people getting ready to head to the port to board the Emerald. I finished up breakfast and, since the skys were mostly sunny and clear, took a nice long walk around the marina. As someone who has always dreamed of living on a boat full time (not really an option in my neck of the woods in Canada), I spent a large amount of time just wandering around and admiring all the different boats on display. Favourite sighting: a medium-sized motor yacht simply named "Boat". Why waste time being all clever or creative? I desperately want to get 5 minutes aboard "Boat" just to see if the owner has stocked it completely with generic, no-name food products too. That would show a true dedication to the gag.

Basically I just puttered around the hotel after that until, at 1100hrs, it was my turn to board the shuttle and make my way to the cruise port.

The shuttle was quick and dropped us off right in front of the cruise terminal. Highly recommended. Especially since it's free.

We arrived at the terminal just a few minutes after 11 and by 11:10, I was through the Priority check-in line and in the waiting area. At that point, they were already calling the Elites to board. They started calling Platinum boarding groups about 20 mins later and by 1140hrs I was aboard the Emerald. For those who are wondering, my cabin was ready for me when I got to it. I don't know if that's true for everyone.

I'll have more later but I figured I'd post this now along with a screenshot of the Internet Upgrade packages that are offered for those of us with the 250 min loyalty package:

The upgrade prices aren't spectacular and I opted for the extra 200 mins and will leave it at that.

InternetOptions.thumb.jpg.fc37b92d6a9092e4b7c9b6252f9ffd7a.jpg

I had lunch in the Botticelli dining room (beef tenderloin which was alright but not quite as good as I remember Princess food being -- I hope this isn't an omen of things to come).

Then I made some Crown Grill and SHARE reservations. Since I have a fairly generous amount of OBC, I decided to splurge and book a spot in the Sanctuary which I've never done before. Guess I'll find out over the next 15 days if I have wasted my OBC.

Now I'll just ee the ship a bit before the muster drill at 1500hrs. 

18 January -- Part II

The afternoon was spent exploring the layout of the Emerald and figuring out where everything is. By then, it was time to head to the muster drill. My muster station is in Club Fusion, so I popped in there a little bit early and just read my book. Of course, that meant that I got to listen to the safety lecture (done to the tune of the Love Boat theme) over and over and over.

And over.

And... well you get it.

I like old Love Boat reruns as much as the next guy but it's gonna be a while before I watch one again.

After muster, I wandered back up to The Sanctuary to park myself in "my" chair and wait for us to slip and proceed. It was reasonably quiet -- other than the deck party that was firing up over in the MUTS area -- and I spent the time enjoying the last rays of the sun and reading some more.

If there was any chance of my missing sailaway whilst being engrossed in my Grisham, the ship's horn eliminated it. Sweet jumping palomino! No one has ever mentioned that the ship's horn is mounted on a mast RIGHT ABOVE MY CHAIR IN THE SANCTUARY.

There were 3 of us (plus 3 staff) in the Sanctuary when the first horn blow occurred and I'm pretty sure all of us came closer to soiling ourselves than we have since we were infants. Just about the time that we all managed to get our heart rates back down to the low 100s, the second blast kicked in.

Yup. That Sanctuary is going to be an awesome place to hang out for the next two weeks. I just wish I was Elite so I could get free laundry.

Went to dinner at 1800hrs with the rest of "the olds" and opted to share a table. No wait, no pager, plenty of butter on the table (as long as you consider 4 pats to be "plenty"). Just about all of us at the table ordered the prime rib (there were a couple of rebels but we had a stern word with them and have been assured that they'll toe the line next time). 

Part way through dinner, the ship's motion became just slightly noticeable. I'm sure it's going to be even more apparent up on the Aloha deck aft where I'm living.

• Haha 1

I did this itinerary last month and for NawiliwiliI recommend walking off the ship and staying to the right and just across the bridge is a local car rental for $50 for the day. Their office is in the rear of the little shop center.

Then drive to make a helicopter reservation here

It was the best excursion ever and their advance booking is a steal also it is a jet helicopter.

They are on the dry side of the island so you are guaranteed to fly.

This island is basically beautiful but the beauty can only be seen by air and the valleys are inaccessible.

you will also find the ocean blowholes and coffee plantations on that side of the island.

Enjoy !

19 hours ago, Croptop said:

I'll have more later but I figured I'd post this now along with a screenshot of the Internet Upgrade packages that are offered for those of us with the 250 min loyalty package:

The upgrade prices aren't spectacular and I opted for the extra 200 mins and will leave it at that.

InternetOptions.thumb.jpg.fc37b92d6a9092e4b7c9b6252f9ffd7a.jpg

Thanks for posting. Interested in how well the internet connection is. We had the MB plan on the Pacific Princess and it worked well.

2 hours ago, mjceditor said:

Thanks for posting. Interested in how well the internet connection is. We had the MB plan on the Pacific Princess and it worked well.

How does it work if you reach your plan’s MB limit?  Do you get slowed down or are you done for the day?  I can’t decide whether to take the surf or premium plan.