Confused about swim diapers

cbiles33

I've been on 8 Carnival cruises (7 with kids and 9th booked for March).  No one has EVER said anything to us about not being able to use swim diapers in the pools, we just saw a small note somewhere on our booking we've never seen before.  My daughter was 13 months on our last cruise (she's 3 and fully trained now so i wouldnt be an issue for the upcoming cruise) and in the pools multiple times a day and not one person said anything to us.  My nephew was on 3 cruises before 3 years old and still this is the first time I've heard anything about it.  Since I saw a post from 2009 it's obviously not a new rule.  Is it just not enforced?

Edited by cbiles33

It's VERY unsanitary to have non-potty trained kids in the pools.  Ship pools aren't like land-pools.....the water doesn't get cleaned as often or as thoroughly.....

While a "swim diaper" may trap solids, the pool water flows through the contents.....think of a "fecal teabag"....anyone in the pool who gets that water on their face or into a small cut or scrape is at risk of contamination.  

Just because the staff didn't say anything doesn't mean it's good to do.  They don't ever want to "offend" anyone...but an offense can be deadly for some people.

Keep ALL non-toilet trained people (adults included) OUT of the pools!

Wow!  You really don't need to be snippy or rude with me, I simply asked a question that I was unsure of as I hadn't heard of it before and as my daughter is my first child, and we had 4 other kids on cruises before and not known about it as it isn't exactly advertised.  I can understand the reasoning I just hadn't heard of it before.

• Like 1

Cbiles33, it was clear to me from your question that you hadn't deliberately intended to break the rule of taking a child in swim diapers into the pool.  I think the response you got was because there are parents (not you) who are completely aware of the rule, and don't care about it.  They don't care that there are many immunocompromised people on cruises (its one of the easiest ways to travel, so people who are sick might only be able to take cruises if they want to travel) who are at serious risk if a child has an accident in the pool.

I was on an Alaskan cruise with Princess when I was pregnant with my first.  I saw a woman alone on a helicopter to dogsled excursion.  At the end, she reunited with her husband.  I was planning to write a tripadvisor review, and had read previous reviews in which couples had been separated and was wondering if this happened often so I asked her.  She told me she had cancer, and they couldn't both afford to do this excursion.  Its for people like this that parents need to be careful (that's not an attack on you - you didn't know, so it wasn't your fault, but its frustrating when people deliberately violate this rule.)

Edited by kitkat343

On 1/17/2019 at 5:42 PM, cbiles33 said:

I've been on 8 Carnival cruises (7 with kids and 9th booked for March).  No one has EVER said anything to us about not being able to use swim diapers in the pools, we just saw a small note somewhere on our booking we've never seen before.  My daughter was 13 months on our last cruise (she's 3 and fully trained now so i wouldnt be an issue for the upcoming cruise) and in the pools multiple times a day and not one person said anything to us.  My nephew was on 3 cruises before 3 years old and still this is the first time I've heard anything about it.  Since I saw a post from 2009 it's obviously not a new rule.  Is it just not enforced?

I really think the cruise line is at fault for the number of babies in their pools.  A large sign by the pool would help make new cruisers aware of the rule.  Perhaps a picture of a baby with a line through it.  The cruise line knows who is bringing babies. It would be simple enough to put a notice into the cabin of people with babies  to advise them of the rule.  Sometimes the parents really do not know a cruise pool is different than a land pool.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 9:41 PM, cbiles33 said:

Wow!  You really don't need to be snippy or rude with me, I simply asked a question that I was unsure of as I hadn't heard of it before and as my daughter is my first child, and we had 4 other kids on cruises before and not known about it as it isn't exactly advertised.  I can understand the reasoning I just hadn't heard of it before.

I did not read any of the prior responses as "snippy" or "rude" -- just honest.  

Swim diapers are not allowed in most pools and splash pads on most cruise ships.  There are notices posted, there are notices in cruise documentation, there are good reasons why they are not allowed, and yes (sadly) many pax "get away" with it because cruise employees will likely not push the rules unless there is an issue or if someone else complains.

On our last Princess cruise, there were several kids in the main pool that were so young I doubt they were potty trained. Parents would have these kids in the pool every day and employees didn't say a word. I agree that parents will push the rules but passengers need to speak up or the employees need to say something to the parents.