Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

47 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Anyone know if there's any truth to the rumour I heard that Ocean Terminal will get extended in the future? Someone told me that they want to increase its size for Iona (or more likely once her sister is built).

Phase 1 of the expansion works has been completed.  The terminal was closed over winter to get this work done.  18 bollards on the quayside have been replaced from 50 tonne to 150 tonne capacity.  Internal work to the terminal has been done to increase space for more passengers.

Early 2020 will see 2 new air bridges installed ready for Iona.

From the Southampton docks schedules it looks like we will be going through the terminal later in the year on Ventura.

Our local newspaper picks up on a lot of this works, as obviously the cruise ships are hugely important to us on Southampton.

Another pic found on the web, taken from further down the dry dock.  Can see the 3 storey high glazed atrium taking shape.

Things moving along at a fair pace.  Shame about the video link being pulled by Carnival.

59517203_10218856579263885_8656876540685975552_n.jpg

Thanks for the further update jaydee. Much appreciated. I am still trying to work out whether the right hand side of the picture is the front of the ship or the back. My money is on the front. Any ideas?

23 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thanks for the further update jaydee. Much appreciated. I am still trying to work out whether the right hand side of the picture is the front of the ship or the back. My money is on the front. Any ideas?

I think the right hand side of the photo is the stern, as this section started out as the floating engine room unit.  Recently their ships have been built so they leave the dry dock stern first.  I also think the area underneath the 'temporary structure' on the top is covering the funnel and plant area?  Something else that makes me think it is is the lift shafts visible, which looking at the deck plans would be about the right place for the midship bank of lifts.  All guess work - I could and may well be wrong.

I believe the section in the foreground is the stern end of the Skydome with the outside hot tub visible on deck 17.

55 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

I think the right hand side of the photo is the stern, as this section started out as the floating engine room unit.  Recently their ships have been built so they leave the dry dock stern first.  I also think the area underneath the 'temporary structure' on the top is covering the funnel and plant area?  Something else that makes me think it is is the lift shafts visible, which looking at the deck plans would be about the right place for the midship bank of lifts.  All guess work - I could and may well be wrong.

I believe the section in the foreground is the stern end of the Skydome with the outside hot tub visible on deck 17.

Thanks. I will bow to your obvious greater knowledge about such things.

14 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

Another pic found on the web, taken from further down the dry dock.  Can see the 3 storey high glazed atrium taking shape.

Things moving along at a fair pace.  Shame about the video link being pulled by Carnival.

59517203_10218856579263885_8656876540685975552_n.jpg

I have been following the progress of Iona on the shipyard webcam as well but thought there was only one cam looking at Iona? Am I allowed to ask where the above cam is on the web?

2 hours ago, Strawberry field said:

I have been following the progress of Iona on the shipyard webcam as well but thought there was only one cam looking at Iona? Am I allowed to ask where the above cam is on the web?

It is not an official Meyer Werft picture, but I believe taken by a visitor to the factory.

Its great to be able to watch the construction. Those men .just feel so proud. If it wasn't for Margaret Thatcher, our lads in Tyne & Wear might have been able to do something like these.

Thank you for all the pics and videos. Keep them coming. I watched the video then had trouble getting back onto cc, tv also but funny must be my Wi-Fi

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

Morning all, lovely video update from Stefan Meyer of progress - WOW.  Looking like a ship now.

Thanks jaydee. It is amazing to me how quickly it has gone from virtually nothing to what is now easily recognisable as a cruiseship. I guess the work on the interior will take longer. I even think I spotted our cabin for the maiden!

Today's Meyer Werft webcam update.  A bit of an anti-climax after yesterday's video.

I assume this section will be moved to the outfitting pier in the harbour after SAGA's Sprit of Adventure has been transferred along the Ems later in May.  Then the Skydome that is under construction on the harbour side can be lifted into place and the dry dock can start on the bow section of Iona.

2019_05_13_Halle_6_2_W466.jpg

On 4/28/2019 at 9:38 PM, Monorail Orange said:

Thanks for the updated jaydee - she's coming along nicely.

Anyone know if there's any truth to the rumour I heard that Ocean Terminal will get extended in the future? Someone told me that they want to increase its size for Iona (or more likely once her sister is built).

I believe some work was done over the winter. The terminal closed fo a while for the work. I believe two new gangways have still to be added. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

New video from Stefan Meyer of bow hull sections being transferred or already at the yard, ready for when floating section of Iona is moved out into the harbour.  The bow thrusters are already installed in the hull.