Miami Airport Immigration

gbphipps

We are arriving in Miami on an International flight. We were wondering, in light of the government shutdown, how long it might take to retrieve bags and process through customs and immigration. I am trying to arrange a car to Ft. Lauderdale and wondered what time to tell the driver to meet us.  We may just get a cab if that is easier.

I would budget an hour plus to collect your bags and clear immigration.  Uber is a better option than taxi.  Cab fare from MIA to hotels near FLL will run about $70-75+: UberX will be about half that fare.

The shutdown has not affected ICE as badly as it has TSA. Most  DHS employees are actually getting paid, though still subject to being furloughed. 

If arriving at the South Terminal on an international flight (unless coming from Europe or a non pre-cleared Caribbean flight that is where you will be directed for clearance) you go through Immigration first, then you claim your bags. Allow one hour minimum for that first step even if they are fully staffed, especially if in the morning hours. After which your bags should be waiting for you on the carousel, where they do check you have been processed in but that should not take more than a few minutes. Safe time to give your driver is probably 90 minutes after scheduled arrival as a good amount of walking is necessary and there will probably be lines at the restrooms should you need to stop there.

So far the 

2 hours ago, fishywood said:

The shutdown has not affected ICE as badly as it has TSA. Most  DHS employees are actually getting paid, though still subject to being furloughed. 

DHS is not being paid. Even the Coast Guard is not getting paychecks. 

Regardless to the OP, so far the shutdown has not caused much changes in immigration. I agree an hour at the minimum maybe a bit more depending what time of day you are arriving. 

We have spent anywhere from 45 minutes to 4 hours to get through immigration and get bags at Miami.  It's a crap shoot based on how busy it is, among other things.  I would never try and plan a driver.  Just Uber/Cab when you get done.