Keeping a camera safe on port days

Hello All,

I recently got back into photography and have a 8-night Eastern Caribbean cruise booked for this fall. I was wondering have you ever not felt safe bringing your camera with you on shore days. If you have a beach day planned do you not bring your camera?

I have a Canon 70d, a canon point and shoot and a waterproof "faux"-pro. I would definitely bring the GoPro, because it would be safe on the beach cause it would be with me. 

Any tips?  

When I take my Nikon DLSR off the ship in Port I have it attached to a BlackRapid camera strap.  The strap goes over my left shoulder, cross body, and the camera hangs down by my right hip.  The mount in the bottom of the camera is a swivel  so camera is not locked into one position by the mount. I also have the optional shoulder pad to keep the strap from biting into my shoulder.  

It just takes a second to swing the camera for photo.

Bob

5 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

When I take my Nikon DLSR off the ship in Port I have it attached to a BlackRapid camera strap.  The strap goes over my left shoulder, cross body, and the camera hangs down by my right hip.  The mount in the bottom of the camera is a swivel  so camera is not locked into one position by the mount. I also have the optional shoulder pad to keep the strap from biting into my shoulder.  

It just takes a second to swing the camera for photo.

Bob

When your not in port, do you just leave it in your stateroom, or do you put it in a safe, i can't imagine the safe's are large enough for some of the cameras. 

Normally take my entire backpack camera bag with a couple of bodies, flash and selection of lenses. I leave the bag in a corner of the cabin and have never had an issue in 40 years.

The cabin safe on all ships we sailed on are too small for a DSLR + lens.

On 1/22/2019 at 6:58 AM, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

When your not in port, do you just leave it in your stateroom, or do you put it in a safe, i can't imagine the safe's are large enough for some of the cameras. 

You are correct, the safes are not large enough for many cameras.   When my cameras are not with me, I just leave them in the cabin -- in a drawer, or sometimes in a suitcase under the bed.  I do change memory cards frequently, and lock up the ones I've used in the safe.  [Except on a few ships, notably Celebrity's S-class ships, where the safe is over the mini-fridge and heats up from the motor.] 

I never take my cameras  (or any other valuables) to the beach.  Just a waterproof camera, which goes in the water with me. 

On 1/22/2019 at 3:58 AM, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

As others have already posted, the safe is not large enough for a full sized Camera.  When not in port I just lay my camera up on the shelf over the closet.  Then toss something over it like my hat so if someone did look in cabin it would not be in sight.  Have not had any problem with this method on 19 different Cruises and ships.  

Hint:  Take several small capacity high speed memory cards.  Change out the cards each day so if a card goes bad or some how you lose one, you will not be out all of your photos.  Others take a device to down load the photos each day, me, I don't want to carry any extra equipment if I can find another way to do something. Plus at least one extra battery to carry with you.  Having one go dead when you are away from the ship can put a crimp in you having a good time. 

Bob