Low-sulphur diesel fuel - will there be any difference?

better than nothing I suppose plus as technology grows and gets better just look at the first ever computer, you needed a whole building to do simple maths equations, now look what we have and how far we have advanced in that area and people are making millions and billions on that technology.  If you look at hydrogen and electricity they go to together and with the advances with electric cars and solar power in homes and now a better storage battery maybe it will be possible to product the hydrogen fuel.  I tend to look at things in a positive way and feel there is some merit in that type of fuel but it will take time and money to develop and be viable.  It will at the start be big, bulky and expensive to use but that's how the first computer started and I think there would have been negative feeling towards the first computer and people saying it wouldn't work and boy I bet they are sorry now.  Or we could go back to Nuclear power.

Study some thermodynamics.

Every transfer of energy, loses energy.  

Funny that many people who believe in man made global warming, are fans of things like hydrogen, which requires at least one extra energy transfer, which causes a loss of energy, and it is normally lost as heat. 😄

On 9/1/2019 at 5:15 AM, chengkp75 said:

Coal burning in 1959? Coal went out as primary ship's fuel in the '20's.

Please provide a link to someone other than the Russians who are "testing" nuclear cargo ships.

Have you ever been in the engine room of a steam ship (as a nuclear ship is) or a motor ship? Still would like to see the data that backs up the claim that the plant is smaller.

I took a coal burning ship in 2011.  I believe it now uses LNG, because they aren't allowed to dump tailings into the lake anymore.

S.S. Badger Lake Michigan Carferry
Edited by Tom47

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

I took a coal burning ship in 2011.  I believe it now uses LNG, because they aren't allowed to dump tailings into the lake anymore.

S.S. Badger Lake Michigan Carferry

Nope, still burning coal, just retains the ash and clinkers onboard for disposal ashore to make cement.

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Nope, still burning coal, just retains the ash and clinkers onboard for disposal ashore to make cement.

I knew that they wanted to keep burning coal, and complained bitterly about dumping prohibition.