Help me choose a Panama Canal cruise

FionaMG

These are the three we're considering. Departure dates are 14 October, 30 October and 15 November this year. The ports are mostly repeated but there are few differences here and there. For those of you who have been there, is there any one of these that jumps out at you because of a particular port, either in a good way (must do) or a bad way (avoid if possible). And is there likely to be much difference weather-wise?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Fiona. :classic_smile:

image.thumb.png.ed671e99af8263073d637cc7d9fea293.png

30 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I see they are all on the older and smaller Vision, from those listed it depends on where you wish to start & end. I live on the West Coast so if I were doing the cruise again, I would do the West bound back to Los Angelas ( San Pedro ) 

We just reserved the westbound one for November 15th, which we believe is a good deal compared to the other options.

7 minutes ago, dmdicato said:

We just reserved the westbound one for November 15th, which we believe is a good deal compared to the other options.

Do you think it's a good deal comparatively because of the pricing? Or was the comparison of the ports in any way influential in your choice?

12 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

It was years ago that we did the cruise but personally found the two ports Puntarenas & Huatulco, least interesting. In going over the itinerary of all 3 I like the Nov 15th as well. 

That's great, thanks. Of the 3, it is the one that suits us best as far as dates are concerned. :classic_smile:

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:28 AM, FionaMG said:

Do you think it's a good deal comparatively because of the pricing? Or was the comparison of the ports in any way influential in your choice?

We based our decision on the price. Originally, we when booked, there were difference ports.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2019 at 10:34 AM, FionaMG said:

These are the three we're considering. Departure dates are 14 October, 30 October and 15 November this year. The ports are mostly repeated but there are few differences here and there. For those of you who have been there, is there any one of these that jumps out at you because of a particular port, either in a good way (must do) or a bad way (avoid if possible). And is there likely to be much difference weather-wise?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Fiona. :classic_smile:

image.thumb.png.ed671e99af8263073d637cc7d9fea293.png

I would choose #3 over the other two.  Who the heck needs to go to Grand Cayman on a Panama Canal cruise?  It's a waste.  (JMO, of course).  (But if you never or rarely cruise the Caribbean, you may be thrilled to go to Grand Cayman).  Huatalco, Mexico is a place that RC ships rarely go, so that is a plus in my view, for cruise #3.  The only real difference between #1 and #2 (besides the obvious order of the ports) is Panama City, Panama vs Colon, Panama.  I just got back from a Vision Panama Canal cruise, and we stopped in Colon and had an amazing excursion there, so for ME (not for you), I would pick #1 over #2 to port in Panama City, just for the change.  (in case you don't know, these two cities border the Panama Canal, Panama City on the west side, Colon on the east). 

All of this being said, I would opt for #3 but you can't go wrong with any of them.  Cruising the Panama Canal is an absolutely amazing experience - it is a true marvel!  And the Vision is a great ship to travel on for this cruise.

• Thanks 1

On a Canal cruise I prefer to do several stops in the Caribbean.  I don't enjoy those central American stops, especially with the unrest in several countries.  If I were to do one of these 3, I would prefer to do both Grand Cayman & Cartegena.   

We have done several Panama Canal cruises, but only one was all way through the canal on Princess & rest were 1-way in Caribbean and through the 1st 3 locks on the Caribbean side, after which the ship goes into Gatun Lake for a while, then sails back through the same Gatun locks.  All of these were on Holland &  Princess.  And much less expensive than ones that go from Calif to FL.   Both lines allow excursions from the ship in Gatun Lake, including a ferry to the 3 Pacific side locks.

• Thanks 1

I haven't done a Panama Canal cruise per se but we did a Reflection deep south that stopped at Colon, Panama.

We took one of the best excursions ever through the ship (which I usually don't do and it's a good thing we did because they held the ship for us!).  It was a partial transit.

We were driven to a spot where we boarded a local ferry and we cruised through the Culebra cut and went through 3 locks to Panama City.  Being in the ferry was amazing - we were looking UP at everything and we could touch the walls!

Doing that excursion dropped my bucket list trip of the Canal way down.  It was enough to satisfy.

One thing that you may want to consider is that they may not go through the canal during the day.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

is Panama City, Panama vs Colon, Panama.  I just got back from a Vision Panama Canal cruise, and we stopped in Colon and had an amazing excursion there, so for ME (not for you), I would pick #1 over #2 to port in Panama City, just for the change.  (in case you don't know, these two cities border the Panama Canal, Panama City on the west side, Colon on the east). 

I wish to add, having stayed in Panama City 3 nights and toured through the Colon side twice, that if you are the type of cruiser who is not adventurous and expects to walk off the ship and stay around the port for a couple of blocks, Colon is probably the very worst port in the world for this. You will see and do nothing within the port area. You must do an excursion to the Gatun Locks, the Embara Indian Village (AMAZING!!!!) or Chagres and Fort San Lorenzo (another great day into the countryside combined with a couple of hours at the Gatun Locks)... there are likely many other choices. LIke Merion_mom says, excursion opportunities from Colon are awesome.

Panama City itself is fantastic for a day visit, and for those who are not savvy, adventurous, and simply just do ports to walk off the ship, Panama City would be best. A short taxi ride away, Old Town Panama is much like walking around San Juan and the newer Embarcadero area is very impressive

DSC06065.JPG

DSC06241.JPG

DSC06262.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

I wish to add, having stayed in Panama City 3 nights and toured through the Colon side twice, that if you are the type of cruiser who is not adventurous and expects to walk off the ship and stay around the port for a couple of blocks, Colon is probably the very worst port in the world for this. You will see and do nothing within the port area. You must do an excursion to the Gatun Locks, the Embara Indian Village (AMAZING!!!!) or Chagres and Fort San Lorenzo (another great day into the countryside combined with a couple of hours at the Gatun Locks)... there are likely many other choices. LIke Merion_mom says, excursion opportunities from Colon are awesome.

Panama City itself is fantastic for a day visit, and for those who are not savvy, adventurous, and simply just do ports to walk off the ship, Panama City would be best. A short taxi ride away, Old Town Panama is much like walking around San Juan and the newer Embarcadero area is very impressive

DSC06065.JPG

DSC06241.JPG

DSC06262.JPG

wow great pictures...trying to decide about Panama Canal and whether to do a version that just goes in the lake or a full transit.....best direction to go and so forth.  great info...thank you

NCL Bliss (new ship) offers two eastbound/westbound Panama cruises in November 2019, not unless you're committed to October and RCI. The ports also look interesting. We like NCL and their freestyle cruising.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2019 at 1:33 PM, sellwingri said:

We’re doing the westbound Panama Canal Cruise on Jewel in February.  We picked westbound based on feedback from others because you gain hours as you travel; not use them.  3 hours is 3 hours.   Rather gain them than lose them.

Good point.

16 hours ago, barb65 said:

NCL Bliss (new ship) offers two eastbound/westbound Panama cruises in November 2019, not unless you're committed to October and RCI. The ports also look interesting. We like NCL and their freestyle cruising.

I'll take a look, thanks. It doesn't *have* to be Royal but we have just made diamond so it would be nice to take advantage of the extra perks. One of the things we most like about Royal is the Royal Promenade, which obviously we would not have on a ship doing the Panama Canal.