Cold food in the MDR (Sun, Escape)

zitsky

Got off the NCL Sun.  Did a nice South America cruise.  Just happened to see that the Escape does a Europe cruise (Copenhagen, St. Petersburg etc) in 2020.  Very tempted to book this.

Only problem I had on the Sun is the few times I ate in the MDR, food was cold by the time I got it.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I think the restaurant is so big, it's hard to keep the food warm.  Maybe the answer is to stick with the buffet?

Wondering if this is a problem on a small ship like the Sun.. will this be more likely on a bigger ship like the Escape?

I can't speak to the Escape, as I haven't sailed her. However, I have sailed the Sun and her sister ship, the Sky. I never had any issues with the food being to temperature, but have had issues in the MDR with slow service (Sky 12/2018). 

I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with ship size. That being said, every sailing is slightly different and personnel changes frequently. I'm not saying your experience didn't happen - just giving background on mine.

Zitsky...after following many of your posts for SA and seeing what you might like, you might take a look at the Oceania Marina sailings.  Look at outsides ...good enough on that ship given the itinerary. They are the same size as balconies with windows the size of the sliders in balcony cabins. 

The benefit with a ship this size is you are virtually assured a sail in through the Stockholm Archipelago.  The itineraries are usually open jaw, allowing you to do land portions in Stockholm and Copenhagen and fully enjoy those cities. 

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Got off the NCL Sun. 

Only problem I had on the Sun is the few times I ate in the MDR, food was cold by the time I got it.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I think the restaurant is so big, it's hard to keep the food warm.  Maybe the answer is to stick with the buffet?

Wondering if this is a problem on a small ship like the Sun.. will this be more likely on a bigger ship like the Escape?

What MDR did you dine at Seven Seas or Four Seasons? After some research I read the Four Seasons had better service with hotter food.

48 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

Zitsky...after following many of your posts for SA and seeing what you might like, you might take a look at the Oceania Marina sailings.  Look at outsides ...good enough on that ship given the itinerary. They are the same size as balconies with windows the size of the sliders in balcony cabins. 

The benefit with a ship this size is you are virtually assured a sail in through the Stockholm Archipelago.  The itineraries are usually open jaw, allowing you to do land portions in Stockholm and Copenhagen and fully enjoy those cities. 

Thanks.  I will research.

If the food isn't hot enough to your liking, one always has the option of sending it back and asking for it to be exchanged, etc. (or, alert the server that you like yours to be as hot as possible - let them go "above & beyond" to make it happen).  Most of the servers asked us if we are going to a show shortly and/or need to rush, and we advised her/him accordingly ... you can also tell the team to bring the starters together or when it's "out" of the gallery, as we sometimes ordered multiple items. 

FWIW, we just got off the Escape 5 days ago and ate mostly in Taste or Savor, avoided The Manhattan MDR as it is the largest, and where we feel (last November) services to be slower & not as impressive, due to its size and distance from the main gallery ... and you should know that the servers has to take escalators up & down to fetch the orders.  Otherwise, we found the soup to be quite hot, I didn't have my digital food therometer with me but I'm reasonable sure that it's 150 degree + when served.  Entree items, not necessary "hot" but definitely not "cold" - although, it's possible that it sat near your at the server's work station with a lid/cover on, waiting for you to finish your starter(s).   

Good luck if you feel the Sun, a much "smaller" ship in the NCL fleet currently is not meeting expectations.  

2 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

If the food isn't hot enough to your liking, one always has the option of sending it back and asking for it to be exchanged, etc. (or, alert the server that you like yours to be as hot as possible - let them go "above & beyond" to make it happen).  Most of the servers asked us if we are going to a show shortly and/or need to rush, and we advised her/him accordingly ... you can also tell the team to bring the starters together or when it's "out" of the gallery, as we sometimes ordered multiple items. 

FWIW, we just got off the Escape 5 days ago and ate mostly in Taste or Savor, avoided The Manhattan MDR as it is the largest, and where we feel (last November) services to be slower & not as impressive, due to its size and distance from the main gallery ... and you should know that the servers has to take escalators up & down to fetch the orders.  Otherwise, we found the soup to be quite hot, I didn't have my digital food therometer with me but I'm reasonable sure that it's 150 degree + when served.  Entree items, not necessary "hot" but definitely not "cold" - although, it's possible that it sat near your at the server's work station with a lid/cover on, waiting for you to finish your starter(s).   

Good luck if you feel the Sun, a much "smaller" ship in the NCL fleet currently is not meeting expectations.  

I agree. I felt the service was far better and faster in Savor.
I did not like the Manhattan Room one bit. Maitre d' and blue uniformed staff seemed a bit off......acted "queer" with some passengers, if you know what I mean.  Servers were raising eyebrows at their behavior too. Hosts and hostesses were good. All the time it was very noisy and hard to talk to your table mates. Service was verrrry slow. No complaints with the food/menu. Table arrangement was too cozy for my liking.  Many people enjoy it, but it was just not for me.

I was just on the Escape over New Year's and we had a pretty good experience in all 3 dining rooms, food was always served at what I felt was an appropriate temperature. Some upthread have complained about the Manhattan Room, we ate there 3 times and it was the only MDR we ate dinner in (we would eat breakfast/lunch in Taste and Savor) and didn't feel that the service was particularly slow, but I think it is more popular for dinner since that's the only time it's open. 

On 1/23/2019 at 4:07 PM, zitsky said:

Got off the NCL Sun.  Did a nice South America cruise.  Just happened to see that the Escape does a Europe cruise (Copenhagen, St. Petersburg etc) in 2020.  Very tempted to book this.

We  have had the same experience on several ships,certainly not just NCL, especially breakfast. I would have complained in a very nice way.  A lot depends on how busy they are and what time of the night you are eating. I find the buffet more inclined to be cold. No, the size of the ship should have nothing to do with how cold or hot food is by the time it arrives at your table