GoPro Hero Black 7. Sold on Princess?

Yukonbear

23 minutes ago, Yukonbear said:

The reason I’m asking is we have a lot of OBC so I was thinking his would be a good way to use it. 

If it is non-refundable OBC that is the only way I would see your idea making sense.  Also, checkout the memory cards that work best with that model.  Princess' selection is not the best and seem less than optimal for the latest GoPro models. If you want to use the camera on the cruise buy the memory card(s) before you go.  My experience at least.

Edited by ar1950

We were on the Crown Princess this past November and there were GoPros for sale in the Photo Gallery.  I'm not sure which model but I did look at them and thought the prices were in line with what I've seen at dive shops.  They also had a selection of accessories for GoPro for sale.  Hope this helps.

And also do alot of research on the setup that would best fit your needs.  It took me a few months to get the settings right and also to find cost effective accessories for it.  I am now printing all my mounts on a 3D printer at a huge cost savings.  Definitely buy a great SD card of a high volume to use with it.  By the way if you have an iphone you already have a remote monitor and control for a GoPro.

Edited by Potstech

Yes my obc is all non refundable hence why I thought this would be a good option.  I’ll look at picking up some SD cards at home and do some research on setup before I go on the cruise.  Thanks for the advice 

5 hours ago, Yukonbear said:

Yes my obc is all non refundable hence why I thought this would be a good option.  I’ll look at picking up some SD cards at home and do some research on setup before I go on the cruise.  Thanks for the advice 

Be sure to check with the GoPro website in order to get ones that are recommended for your camera. Also get an extra battery and eternal charger. Would not be nice to run out of battery power at a critical time.

Last time I looked at GoPros onboard the price was maybe $30 over online.  BUT, no taxes.  So your plan may be a good one.  Just price the specific model you want before you go so you know if it is a good deal (and watch for onboard sale).  If you have status you might also get a discount (Elite is 10%, but may not apply to GoPro).  Also  remember that you can transfer funds to a slot machine from your onboard account and then take the ticket to the Cashier's Cage.  Do this in small amounts over the cruise - they may not let you transfer $700 and immediately cashing out without playing.  We play a few hundred a night, so transfers from cruise account don't appear unusual.

Last Sep, they still had the GoPro 5 onboard and I was told they had no plans to start selling the GoPro 6.  Too little difference.  Now with the ver 7 out I don't know.   Recommend you look for someone that has started a thread "live from the  XXX cruise" and post a question.  You might be able to get a real-time response as to what they are currently selling.

GoPros are like Apple products, you will very rarely find them for anything more than about $50 less than list price.  As was stated you don't have today tax onboard.  I would worry too much over the warranty issue, just save your receipt.  I had a problem with breaking a door on the camera and a clip on an accessory mount.  Called GoPro and they sent out replacements, no problem.

Recommend you get your micoSD card before you go, section is limited onboard.  Princess also gives a series of GoPro classes onboard.  They are really more marketing pitches but they are given by the photogphay staff and they are very open to questions and giving advice.

Enjoy