Princess Emerald (LA to Hawaii) Any experiences?

Cras108er

As the title says, I am looking at a Princess Emerald cruise (LA to Hawaii).  The price seems VERY good, almost too good.  I'm wondering if there are others who may have done this ship before.  Is there anything that I should be aware of in particular before I book?  I'm not even sure what to ask.  Just want to make sure there are no "surprises" - if you know what I mean.   As you can see, from my signature line, we have done this itinerary previously.  Thanks. 

We were on the Emerald Princess last April for the 28 Hawaii/Tahiti cruise.  This was our first time on Princess and we liked the ship.  We found things similar to Celebrity, and we are will do more cruises with Princess.  

I just got off the Emerald and we did the Hawaii cruise over Christmas. Though every cruise is a good cruise, this was our 5th Hawaiian cruise and my 15th on Princess and our least favorite...sadly. 

If I were you, I'd read the reviews here on Cruise Critic and get the cross section of opinions. Our favorite cruises to Hawaii were on the Golden and Grand ships. The Emerald was so overcrowded, the Piazza an insane mess and the staff temperment was all over the place. Finally, the food was consistently marginal/poor at best.  You will hear others say food is subjective, but on this sailing, the food was the common discussion among passengers.

Hard for me to be so honest as I have spent my years defending Princess, but this last cruise has caused me to start shopping other cruise lines! (ncl/rc)

Edited by MTJSR

We just got off the Emerald last week from Hawaii. Really enjoyed the itinerary and the ship. We have been on Emerald twice before and always had a great time. It is scheduled for dry dock in March for some updates/upgrades. Buffet is supposed to get a total redo which would be good. 

Here's the thing: You have to like sea days to like this cruise.  I have done six Princess Hawaii cruises.  There are four sea days going to Hawaii, and five returning to the West Coast.  I like the Emerald and her sister, the Ruby.   But you have to like the sea days.

Aloha!  ⛴ 🛳 🛥 🌅🌈🌺