O'Sheehan's food quality?

mwolever

Hi guys,

I first went on the Getaway back in 2015 and O'Sheehan's was a pretty solid food choice. I've been on the Getaway once more and the Escape twice, and sailing Getaway next week. I've noticed a SERIOUS decline in taste and quality in O'Sheehan's. Is that still the case? Anyone else noticed this??

We at O'Sheehan's quite a bit on the Breakaway and the Dawn.  On the Dawn, two of the people in my party had cabins on Deck 8, so it was very convenient to get food and especially drinks!!  I have two thoughts about O'Sheenan's.  They have the ambiance of the neighborhood pub down, but the food is nothing compared to what you would get in a home town restaurant.  Breakfast is usually good - hard to mess that up.  But the lunch and dinners - soups seemed watered down, not thick.  Chicken wings are not what you would get from a hometown pizzeria.  We always tried a few things early in the cruise, decide what is good and order that the rest of the week, while staying away from others.  

• Like 1

O'Sheehans on Getaway was a pleasant surprise with their dinner specials, especially the Prime Rib dinner...  The normal menu is average, and some swear by their chicken wings, but if you get the chance to have the Prie Rib there, it is actually quite good.

1 hour ago, mwolever said:

Hi guys,

I first went on the Getaway back in 2015 and O'Sheehan's was a pretty solid food choice. I've been on the Getaway once more and the Escape twice, and sailing Getaway next week. I've noticed a SERIOUS decline in taste and quality in O'Sheehan's. Is that still the case? Anyone else noticed this??

There will always be those who are not happy with certain restaurants as food is so subjective,  to us, O'SHeelan's is every bit as good as in years past and we have been eating at them since the first one appeared on the Jewel. At that time they were called Blue Lagoon. It is comparable for us to some place like "Fridays" quality, not at all, but what you would expect from a sit down, fast food type of diner. I guess a lot of people call it typical pub or bar food. We eat lunch at O'Sheehans about 3 or 4 times we are on a cruise, plus breakfast once or twice. Very rarely do we eat dinner there. We happen to like their wings, but not the best in the world for sure and the fish and chips are pretty decent. 

I'm not the pickiest eater, but even i noticed that the spinach and artichoke dip was watery and no flavor. I just wondered if maybe multiple people had given that feedback and the quality was coming back around. I agree that it "is what it is" and that's still great for a (veggie) burger and fries when I want casual and fast. 

It's basic pub grub.  The wings are smallish, but I do like the Thai chili wings.  Most of the sandwiches are pretty good.  DW likes their Shepherd's pie.  I did not like the nachos with the processed cheese sauce.  I do like NCL fries in the buffet and O'Sheehans.  

As previous poster has stated, the Prime Rib and NY Strip steak nights are surprisingly good.

7 minutes ago, mwolever said:

I'm not the pickiest eater, but even i noticed that the spinach and artichoke dip was watery and no flavor. I just wondered if maybe multiple people had given that feedback and the quality was coming back around. I agree that it "is what it is" and that's still great for a (veggie) burger and fries when I want casual and fast. 

It’s been hit or miss at O’Sheehans for us.  I agree that the Prime Rib is very good.  Wings are sometimes really good, sometimes not.  Never had the spinach dip, so can’t comment.  Breakfast is fairly good, too.

Not sure if they have their own kitchen.  But, if they do, I would imagine the chef/cook there is probably lowest on the totem pole regarding ability in the NCL ship restaurants.  Don’t know this, just a hunch.

Of course, if you’re there at 1:00 a.m. looking for food, odds are you’ll like whatever they put in front of you.

All-in-all, not my first choice for dining on NCL ships.  But, if the situation dictates, you can do worse.

• Like 1

We usually stop in for a quick appetizer if dinner is a long way coming, drinks are always good, their Ruben sandwich is delicious. Have had the hot turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy...yum! The brownie cheesecake is the best dessert onboard,except for the Haven carrot cake.

They are consistent in their inconsistency. I didn't enjoy anything I had for lunch on the Gem, thought it was much better on the Epic.  On the Breakaway, I had the most amazing caramel marshmallow brownie for dessert one day. It was so good I was craving it so went back later in the cruise and it was horrible! Dry, dried up sauce, like it was prepared and left out overnight. So disappointing.  I had many late breakfasts there and the food was always good but the service ranged from great to non-existent. Go with low expectations and you might be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davy jones said:

It's basic pub grub.  The wings are smallish, but I do like the Thai chili wings.  Most of the sandwiches are pretty good.  DW likes their Shepherd's pie.  I did not like the nachos with the processed cheese sauce.  I do like NCL fries in the buffet and O'Sheehans.  

As previous poster has stated, the Prime Rib and NY Strip steak nights are surprisingly good.

don't care for the nachos either: I am not a fan of any processed cheese food and they have no flavor 

I think they may be phasing out the dinner choices, such as prime rib, ribs and shrimp, seafood basket. On Getaway in September 2018 and Epic in January 2019, the nightly specials had been discontinued. It is a fixed menu of shepherds pie, fish and chips, appetizers, and bar food. Quality and service has been hit or miss.

I have always loved their Thai Chili wings.  It is something I have always looked forward to and would stop and get them every evening before going to bed.  They were different on our last cruise on the STAR.  They were a different type of wing (breaded, cheap like you would get frozen at the super market) and I did not like them at all.  I'm hoping that this is not the case on all of the ships.  We head out in 3 weeks on the EPIC and i'm hoping that the wings that I love will be back.  

Ruben with thousand island dressing is what turned me off O'Sheehan's (I've always been served mustard)

I agree with graphicguy that the chef is probably at the bottom of the totem pole. 

If we are looking for food outside of normal meal times, I will find something on the menu to "tide me over" but I wouldn't plan to eat a meal there

There's good pub grub and bad pub grub.  O'Sheehan's isn't particularly good.  I like the MDRs and the buffet better.  O'Sheehan's ribs and fried seafood are poor.  The reuben, burger and nachos are minimally acceptable.  Someone should tell the chef that shepherds tend sheep, not cattle.  I have not had the prime rib.  That said, I am glad it is available on the rare occasion when I want something in the middle of the night (a beer helps). 

I find it to be hit of miss- I really liked the corned beef sandwich I had as soon as I boarded- but it was after a few or 4 dark and stormys so I might not be the best source.

Sometimes I found the service to be far to slow and sometimes the hot dogs not great. 

We ate several times at OSH earlier this month on the Escape (also sailed her last Halloween for a week) and it's basic comfort food, nothing to write home or brag about - we choose it out of convenience, and, as alternative to MDR as the last place we'll go is the crowded buffet, whether that "Washy Washy" thing was being enforced or not, enough "gross" behavior seen to turn us off ... we'll head upstairs during off-peak hours & grab something in the late evening, etc.   

OSH is good for a quick and HOT breakfast and lunch, within its limited choices - b/c it has its own small gallery or kitchen behind those doors.  Service is somewhat inconsistent but generally acceptable, just don't expect or demand attentive servers when you are seated in the pub area outside the main section - speaking from our own experience, YMMV.  We're not attracted to its nightly specials, whether it's the Seafood Basket, BBQ/Grilled Specials, or Prime Ribs ... didn't see offers for Lamb (I could've missed it). 

Wings are similar to those from Papa John or local greasy joints, we asked for ours with (any of them) sauces on the side, as they drown it & made it soggy for our taste.  It's not bad, being complimentary; and, next time, I'm going to double up my order of fish & chips, getting 2 small pieces with a meal/supper is kind of silly for "most" typical adults on a cruise (LOL) ... no wonder, the buffet is always popular with its AYCE approach.  

The stock soup choices ... no worst than the Vietnamese Chicken Pho in the MDR, available there each & every day whenever it's open at noon for services.  Can't recall the soup specials we tried but it was edible, nobody gone hungry in our cabin.  Sandwiches & burgers were fine, properly cooked - I recommend they "downsize" their buns (bread & rolls) to match the portions served.  Fries looked & tasted like those from McD ... but, when hungry & stomach isn't quite full yet, it will do.  

Compared to late night "free" options on Carnival or Royal Caribbean ships, advantage to NCL (reluctantly ... of course.)  P.S.  we absolutely avoid the hot dogs, period. 

Lastly, one's "meal" experience at OSH are likely to be better on older/mid-sized ships like the Gem, Dawn or equivalent than newer mega ships - but as a whole, services had been better but quantity & quality, NOT.  How, the salad options are worst in 2018-19 than 2014-15 ... the Chef's Salad could've been a meal in itself then, nowadays, hmmm.  

This is probably one of the few times that I get a bit more critical & serious with food & eating, especially with the spotlight on OSH - as we see it, it is biased, personal & 100% subjective in nature.  Hence, disclaimers applied - YMMV but it was still acceptable & enjoyable, and when it's a quick walk & elevator ride from your stateroom - instead of making that long trip to go elsewher, or calling for/paying from Room Service or eating elsewhere - it's not evil.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

Ruben with thousand island dressing is what turned me off O'Sheehan's (I've always been served mustard)

I agree with graphicguy that the chef is probably at the bottom of the totem pole. 

If we are looking for food outside of normal meal times, I will find something on the menu to "tide me over" but I wouldn't plan to eat a meal there

There’s no chef there at all, Osheehans serves the lowest cost/ quality frozen food available.

7 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

A "Ruben" is not a Ruben with mustard. That would be a corn beef sandwich with mustard 😉

• Like 2

O'Sheehan's is hit or miss. You really have to go into this dining venue with no expectations on the food. It's open 24 hours, the food is ment to be put out quick, which never does come fast. The food isn't terrible, just don't compare the food and you won't go hungry. Plus it's free!

• Like 1