Rome on Your Own excursion

Looking at the description for Rome On Your Own it states 7 hours free time. When we visited Rome I bought a Rome pop up map and marked a route for us to take including all the places we wanted to see. Worked well and we weren't wasting time deciding where to go.

It is indeed the ship's excursion I was referring to and know how long we shall have, but don't know where they will drop us and where, presumably, we shall have to return to for the coach back to the ship at the end of the day.  Thanks.

I've done this excursion twice and both times we were dropped and picked up at the same place, a parking area alongside the river outside the Supreme Court building, close to Ponte Umberto I. Its an easy walk to the Spanish Steps and the Vatican from there, but I got the Metro to the Colosseum. Hope this helps your planning!

• 3 weeks later...

We were on that trip last November, and as Crystaltips99 states, we were dropped off near Ponte Umberto. We were given a map which had a suggested route to see most of the main sites, which we accomplished walking everywhere, as the time available was enough. A very good value excursion, without worries of catching trains etc

• 1 month later...

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but we are in Rome in September and looking at the prices of the cruise excursions we were thinking of booking with another company. Has anybody done this and can recommend one at all? TIA.

• 3 weeks later...

We’ve used the train twice. It’s very cheap. https://www.thetrainline.com/en/train-times/civitavecchia-to-rome If you take the stopping train you can get off at San Pietro about 2 or 3 min to St Peters Square. Don’t bother booking online and don’t get a return ticket because you might want to return on the fast train. Allow about 30 min to walk to the station from the boat or take a taxi which will cost more than double the train fare!!!

On 4/21/2019 at 1:18 PM, KevinandSally said:

We’ve used the train twice. It’s very cheap. https://www.thetrainline.com/en/train-times/civitavecchia-to-rome If you take the stopping train you can get off at San Pietro about 2 or 3 min to St Peters Square. Don’t bother booking online and don’t get a return ticket because you might want to return on the fast train. Allow about 30 min to walk to the station from the boat or take a taxi which will cost more than double the train fare!!!

I think this is good advice.  We have used the train multiple times and found it cheap and easy.  You have got to keep an eye on the time - but you have to do the same if you are getting a coach.  I always plan to get back to Termini station before 4 pm for a 7 pm sail away. 

The “ports of call” board discusses pros and cons in depth.  They also talk about s new express train that you can book ahead.