Accessible cabins

lenquixote66

Why doesn't Norwegian ask for proof of disabil before allowing a person to book an accessible cabin ?

Just recently a neighbor booked 3 cabins on a Norwegian cruise for him and family members solely because they wanted large cabins .No one in the family is disabled

They can ask for proof if a disabled person calls and requests a cabin and none are available.  If you book one you get a letter saying you can get moved if you can’t show proof and one is needed by a disabled person. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pappion said:

They can ask for proof if a disabled person calls and requests a cabin and none are available.  If you book one you get a letter saying you can get moved if you can’t show proof and one is needed by a disabled person. 

I got no such letter.

and what PROOF do they want?

2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

In reality, if the accessible cabins are booked, you're just told that there aren't any available.  

This is the correct answer.  Anyone can book a handicap cabin on NCL.  They do not ask for proof, they say that it is illegal for them to do so and they do not require forms stating that you can be moved if not handicapped. I am not sure about being illegal or not since MSC requires you to sign a form stating that the cabin is needed and if you are not disabled you can be moved.

On NCL if some one calls and needs one then they will do nothing if there aren't any. 

This is an excerpt of the letter issued to someone in our group, less than a year ago ... (verbatium - see full PDF as linked below)

If you have booked a Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom and do not have a disability we may ask you to relocate to another stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability.

If you have any questions or comments about these policies for Wheelchair Accessible Staterooms , please feel free to contact the Accessibility Team at 866.584.9756 or email at accessdesk@ncl.com.

Please keep in mind a person might not appear to have a disability or not ... The bumping "could" happen at pier check-in and/or onboard to relocate.  

WHEELCHAIR LETTER.pdf

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I got no such letter.

and what PROOF do they want?

When we booked one for my in-laws they emailed us a letter. Maybe in the past two years they stopped, but it was the first year the escape sailed. If you didn’t get a letter good for you, it doesn’t mean I didn’t get one. Sorry I answered with my experience.    As you can see from another poster, they DO send letters to some.  

Edited by Pappion
  • Like 1

Whether they require proof or not, how boorish and selfish of your neighbors to be so inconsiderate.  I know that sometimes people get placed in a handicapped room without asking, because that is what is available..I have no issue with that.  But to deliberately go out of your way to make it more difficult to some people who NEED that room to be able to cruise....not nice.

• Like 4

I am disabled and want to cruise on the Ncl Dawn in October,however I was advised that all 8 accessible cabins have been booked.I am wondering if all of these people also have a disability preventing them from booking a regular cabin.

RCI requires proof of disabilty when an accessible cabin is booked.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am disabled and want to cruise on the Ncl Dawn in October,however I was advised that all 8 accessible cabins have been booked.I am wondering if all of these people also have a disability preventing them from booking a regular cabin.

RCI requires proof of disabilty when an accessible cabin is booked.

Have you asked Norwegian this question?

Well when I travelled on X after an accident and suddenly had to have an accessible cabin after getting that answer from them, I got a prescription from my doctor and then contacted X and they suddenly found a cabin.  Presumably they moved someone who had booked but didn’t have to have the accessible cabin.   

I always understood that’s why Norwegian sent out the letter.  I’d keep trying.