Shower before getting into pools/hot tub

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Then maybe you'll like this piece of junk better from the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health

Abstract

Handwashing is thought to be effective for the prevention of transmission of diarrhoea pathogens. However it is not conclusive that handwashing with soap is more effective at reducing contamination with bacteria associated with diarrhoea than using water only. In this study 20 volunteers contaminated their hands deliberately by touching door handles and railings in public spaces. They were then allocated at random to (1) handwashing with water, (2) handwashing with non-antibacterial soap and (3) no handwashing. Each volunteer underwent this procedure 24 times, yielding 480 samples overall. Bacteria of potential faecal origin (mostly Enterococcus and Enterobacter spp.) were found after no handwashing in 44% of samples. Handwashing with water alone reduced the presence of bacteria to 23% (p < 0.001). Handwashing with plain soap and water reduced the presence of bacteria to 8% (comparison of both handwashing arms: p < 0.001). The effect did not appear to depend on the bacteria species. Handwashing with non-antibacterial soap and water is more effective for the removal of bacteria of potential faecal origin from hands than handwashing with water alone and should therefore be more useful for the prevention of transmission of diarrhoeal diseases.

If you'll re-read what I said, that actually water does remove some bacteria, but I did not say "Don't use soap"...just quoting what my own research came up with.

The junk reference is not about you... it's about the article. Soap serves a purpose, especially with oils on your skin and how they trap bacteria. Any reference material that suggests not using soap, when soap is available... is junk. 🙂

Edited by Mikew0805

13 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

The junk reference is not about you... it's about the article. Soap serves a purpose, especially with oils on your skin and how they trap bacteria. Any reference material that suggests not using soap, when soap is available... is junk. 🙂

Yes and neither article suggested not using soap, both agreed, soap is superior and so do I.  Someone asked if water would wash away bacteria and I remember reading this...that's all.  Thank you for the bacterial lesson.

In this age of the rush to criticize and judge, it's not very fruitful to share any information at all without someone disputing it.  And everyone thinks they're an expert!  I am not one, I just read a lot.

why does it only have to be about illness and bacteria?

Urine is sterile, you can drink it without getting sick.  Sorry, but I'd rather NOT swim in urine, is that too much to ask?

Similarly, licking random stranger's body of sweat and suntan lotion isn't going to make you get an infection, but is it too much to ask for to NOT have to swim around in people's filth?

Why do people get so upset at being asked to be considerate to their neighbors.  Is our culture so selfish that showering for the sake of keeping the pools clean of oils and skin and filth is an undue burden just because it doesn't infect people?

9 hours ago, bowler15547 said:

I used to clean bathrooms at a bowling alley at my first job. I consider myself immune to mostly everything. 16 cruises and I've lived in the pool on each one. Never had a problem. I can understand folks with compromised immune systems, but others really need to lighten up a bit. This post reminds me of the people that have to sanitize everything in the cabin, not touch things, and sanitize their hands every five minutes. Do you live in a bubble at home? 

I would love to go through their house and do a microbiological survey.  😄 😄 😄

9 hours ago, BecciBoo said:
The use of water to wash both hands can eliminate a lot of germs and bacteria thatsoap can. Soap can actually spread bacteria to the hands if it is not stored correctly to prevent the growth of bacteria. Although health professionals point out that soapdoes cut down on more bacteria than water alone.Jun 23, 2012

How Much Cleaner Does Soap Make Your Hands? - Big Think

Based on a study in one of the countries where soap is limited, scientists discovered that by applying the right technique when washing hands a person can eliminate bacteria using only water. 

Funny thing is, when traveling n 3rd world countries, you wash with non-potable water.  That WILL make you sick if you drink it.  But funny, even eating things with my fingers, I haven't had many issues.  And most of them were traceable to a meal in a 1st world country in transit.

I've been reading along and am now kind of confused.  I didn't realize the point of the shower was to remove sunscreen because sunscreen messed up the pool's filtration system.  My whole family is crazy fair skinned.  If we removed the sunscreen before we got in the pool we'd be fried in 15 minutes.  As it is we have to reapply every 60-90 minutes or so or we'll be fried.  So what are we supposed to do if we're "gross" for wearing sunscreen in the pool?  Not use the pool?  I guess it's good that we only go to the pool once or twice a cruise for an hour or so. 

Sometimes these boards depress me.  You really can't win no matter what you do...

2 hours ago, jenf22 said:

I've been reading along and am now kind of confused.  I didn't realize the point of the shower was to remove sunscreen because sunscreen messed up the pool's filtration system.  My whole family is crazy fair skinned.  If we removed the sunscreen before we got in the pool we'd be fried in 15 minutes.  As it is we have to reapply every 60-90 minutes or so or we'll be fried.  So what are we supposed to do if we're "gross" for wearing sunscreen in the pool?  Not use the pool?  I guess it's good that we only go to the pool once or twice a cruise for an hour or so. 

Sometimes these boards depress me.  You really can't win no matter what you do...

Fear not, oh fair of skin.  The most pool friendly sunscreen is water based (there are lots of them out there), applied as per the instructions about 15 minutes before going in the pool to allow it to be absorbed into the skin.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Fear not, oh fair of skin.  The most pool friendly sunscreen is water based (there are lots of them out there), applied as per the instructions about 15 minutes before going in the pool to allow it to be absorbed into the skin.

Would this be the same as “reef safe” sunscreen?

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Would this be the same as “reef safe” sunscreen?

Not necessarily.  "Reef safe" sunscreen does not contain oxybenzone and other UV blockers that have been shown to be harmful to coral, and use titanium dioxide or other "mineral" UV blockers (which isn't absorbed into the skin, but forms a layer on the skin), familiar as the white gunk used on fishermen's noses.  Water based sunscreens can contain the UV blockers banned in reef safe sunscreens, but use a water base instead of an oil base.  It is the oil that forms the film on the pool surface and causes problems with chlorine.  It has also been found that some ingredients in sunscreens may break down with chlorine into toxic chemicals.