Amber Cove

Cruisefriends

sounds like the deck of a cruise ship and everything on the ship is free, especially if you have Cheers. We went out to the taxi stand asked for an English speaking driver and did a tour of the island including a Rum Factory, Cigar Factory, the rich sections, poor sections and a very cool Farmer's market.  We paid $50 for about 2 1/2 hours including a $10 tip and we bought him a beer. We were back on the ship by 1 and had a wonderful afternoon on the ship. We personally stay away from Amber Cove and Margaritaville places, too loud and too crowded for us.

We really enjoyed Amber Cove.  It was just me and my 12 year old daughter and it was a nice relaxing day.  We sat (for free) in lounge chairs by the pool but in the shade.  We enjoyed swimming in the lazy river and didn't find it loud at all where we sat.  It became a favourite port of ours to relax and swim in a pool that was not salt water.  We hit the cute little shops on the way back to the ship and took a free bike taxi back to the ship.  It was a great day.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 3

Visited Amber Cove once on the Horizon, and I had a great time remaining on the ship.  Spa was quiet, Serenity was almost empty and there was just a minimal wait for the Sky Ride.

I stayed at a Puerto Plata hotel (closest town to Amber Cove) about 15 yrs ago and hated that area, it reminded me of the yellow brown sand and gray water of Coney Island.  Been back to the DR for many other land vacations in Punta Cana, Bavarro, Samanna, and LaRomana and enjoyed all those.

There isn't a beach near Carnival's made to order cookie cutter port and I've always had a pool where I live, so there was no reason for me to explore this port. I did visit Ocean World as it was semi built, but today I am ambivalent about interacting with caged animals.  JMO, YMMV.

We really liked Grand Turk + were expecting the same in Amber Cove. Not so, bar/restaurant no where near as good as Margaritaville. Service was horrible, had to chase me waiter down for my change. Have a friend who got their credit card stolen here.  No beach, disappointed. IMO, plan an activity there.

Oh, and one last thing. The ship SLAMMED against the dock the entire time we were there. Seas weren't really that rough, but this is NOT a natural port. Folks were taking pics of the water shooting up between the dock + the ship. 

I LOVE Ameber Cove. Visited for the first time in October aboard the Breeze. The pool area was huge with ample spaces to sit. Seemed everyone had a great time there. The shops were nice to visit around the port area. No one was overbearing or demanding you to buy things. I enjoyed the live music that was being played by the islanders. So that was fun to watch a bit. I spent the majority of my day at Ocean World though which is beautiful and a lot of fun. I highly recommend that as well but if I didn't have an excursion booked I would definitely find it fun passing the time in the port area as well. 

• Like 1

Only been once, we stayed in the dock area and swam in the pool, the slides, and lazy river. None of that cost a dime since the port is owned by Carnival. Also looked at the little shops, they were expensive and didn't seem willing to bargain like they are in Nassau.

I would rather go back here over Freeport for sure. There are other ports I'd rather go back to in general, but Amber Cove is nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisefriends said:

Thanks everyone for the info.  I didn't see anything Bout a pool and lounge chairs for free right when you get off. We were thinking about going on excursion to an all inclusive beach pool food and dr ink. So not sure if this is a good choice. 

Amber Cove would be a whole lot cheaper than an A.I., unless you plan on drinking a copious amount of liquor.