Ponant dress code - comments?

cruising cockroach

Looks like you have to clear cookies, or if using Chrome, open in an incognito window, or using Mozilla, open in a private window.

There are suggested packing lists for depending on which region you cruise to (yachting, great north and arctic, antartica, the scattered islands, Chile's fjords, and tropical regions)

Here is the stock recommendation:

For days spent on board you are advised to wear comfortable, relaxed clothing.
As the whole of the ship is air-conditioned, you may need a thin jumper, lightweight jacket or shawl. 
For moving around public areas and on the ship's deck, opt for shoes that are lightweight but comfortable.

Informal evenings:

In the evening we recommend that you wear smart, casual clothing, in particular when dining in our restaurants where shorts and t-shirts are not permitted.

Women:

• A simple dress
  • Skirt or trousers
  • Blouse or smock
  • Polo shirt

Men:

• Darted trousers or chinos
  • Sports jacket
  • Shirt
  • Polo shirt

Gala dinners:

On our cruises two gala dinners are organised onboard. As such we recommend that you bring one or two formal outfits.

Women:

• Evening wear
  • Long evening gown (not required)

Men:

• Dark suit
  • Tie advised, possibly a bow-tie
  • Dinner jacket (not required)

Officers’ dinner

Depending on your cruise itinerary and programme, an Officers’ dinner may be organised. Accordingly, we would encourage you to bring white smart-casual wear for the occasion (failing that, black and white).

Edited by cruising cockroach

Ponant just released an App, which includes a slightly more fulsome version of the above.  Since I can't copy and paste it, please excuse any typos introduced by my clumsiness!

Preparing for your departure – Advice

In order to ensure that you have the best possible experience aboard ship, we have gathered advice from all our experts about what clothing to pack for your cruise.

Ideal clothes for life on board:

During the days spent on board, you are advised to wear comfortable clothes or casual outfits.  The entire ship is air-conditioned, so a light sweater, a light jacket or a shawl may be necessary.  When moving about in the public areas of the ship and the decks, light but comfortable shoes are recommended.

Informal evening:

In the evening, you are advised to wear smart-casual attire, especially when dining in our restaurants where wearing shorts and tee-shirts is not allowed.

For women:

•  Simple dress

•  Skirt or trousers

•  Blouse

•  Polo

[hopefully this doesn't mean choose one of the above]

For men:

•  Pleated trousers or chinos

•  Sports jacket

•  Shirt

•  Polo

[even more so...]

Officer's evening:

Depending on the itinerary and the program of your cruise, an Officer's Evening with a white dress code may be organized.  Therefore, we encourage you to bring a stylish white outfit for the occasion (otherwise black and white).

Gala evening:

During the cruise, two gala evenings will be organized on board.  Thus, we recommend that you bring one or two formal outfits.

For women:

•  Cocktail attire

•  Evening dress (if you wish to)

For men:

•  Dark suit

•  Tie recommended, possibly bow tie (if you wish to)

SHOP:

A small shop is available on board offering a wide range of outfits, jewelry, leather goods and many accessories.

A laundry service (washing/ironing) is available on board, but unfortunately there are no dry cleaning services.  For safety reason, your cabin is not equipped with an iron.

Now back to your original question [which is very relevant to us]:  how do passengers, particularly English-speaking passengers, actually dress on these Gala evenings?

Our first Ponant cruise is the Circumnavigation of Iceland, which we booked through Backroads as a hiking tour.  Hiking boots and Cocktail attire don't make an attractive combination!!!

And given airline weight restrictions.  Mine's a predominantly diving cruise in the south Pacific, followed by a mid-PAC repo.  Did get a pair of Karl Legerfeld white leather shoes cheap today though.  Just don't want to haul the stuff around Polynesia and Asia for the 9 days preceding and 3 weeks after.

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Now back to your original question [which is very relevant to us]:  how do passengers, particularly English-speaking passengers, actually dress on these Gala evenings?

Our first Ponant cruise is the Circumnavigation of Iceland, which we booked through Backroads as a hiking tour.  Hiking boots and Cocktail attire don't make an attractive combination!!!

Hi Jazz

Our Antarctica experience with Ponant would seem to suggest a more casual dress code. Wrong. Most dressed for dinner and plenty of jackets and ties in the main dining room. The dining room is very elegant and I feel that the attire for dinner added to that elegance. 

Captain's party..very dressy

Did not attend White Party because seas were too rough and felt one dressy dinner was enough and 2nd was overkill.

Buffet is an option and many preferred that venue and casual attire welcome.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your info, very helpful. Just one more question.  I will be sailing L'Austral to the British Isles (Celtic Shores) in April for 7 nights. How may formal nights?

I do like to dress up for dinner but don't want to over pack with formal clothes I may not need.

Thanks for any comments

whoshwhosh,

My cruise was 14 days therefore it included one Gala night (Captains Party) and a White Night. Not sure how many for 7 nights? Perhaps you can contact Ponant or your TA can look into this for you. I also like to dress up because I most often wear ski clothes or athletic wear 😉

Enjoy

We sailed a 10 night Antarctica expedition cruise in January on Le Soleal. Dress in the dining room was varied even on the gala and Captain’s nights.  There were tuxedos and some long dresses.  There were also long sleeved colored shirts and khaki pants for men.  Women’s attire ran from casual slacks to long dresses.  Honestly, no one really seemed to notice or care, even at the Captain’s table. If you want to go more casual on gala nights you can eat upstairs in the buffet.  The crew was much more concerned about your expedition attire than what you wore to dinner. Everyone seemed happy and presentable.

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 1

I'm getting a pair of white pants to add to white shirts from former career office wear. Found myself a pair of white Karl Lagerfeld leather shoes last week cheap (around 50 quid your currency)

My wife already had suitable garb.

Edited by cruising cockroach

4 hours ago, UKStephandSteve said:

Has anyone got any suggestions for the White party? We have no idea of what to wear? Is a white shirt and dark trousers ok for guys and a white dress with a colourful flower on be ok for ladies.

Take the sheet off your bed: toga party!

I've just got off Le Laperouse on a Great Barrier Reef Chairman's Cruise. I think the ship and style of cruise (and location) will dictate the observance of the dress standards. I wore a suit jacket and bow tie to the first Gala night (due to the Food & Wine theme there were 5 Gala dinners on the cruise), but didn't bother with the tie after that, as less than half the men were wearing one. The fact it was an expedition cruise on the smaller ship, and in the tropics, meant there wasn't a dinner suit/tuxedo in sight.  

In fact the ties were almost outnumbered by colourful hawaiian shirts - some worn under jackets. The ladies were always well dressed, but there weren't too many ball gowns, just very smart outfits dressed up with jewellery.

The high proportion of Australian passengers (over 2/3rds) probably swayed the result, as we tend not to be as formal as European or American passengers! :classic_biggrin: Things may well be different on a Mediterranean cruise style itinerary though.

• Like 1

If anyone wants to use a translator, Ponant has a French-language community on the website.  Just came across this one and it'd seem the French have the same questions about what to wear for gala and white events, with the usual of people wanting to adhere and those who prefer to wear other colours (for the white events).  SOme seem to imply a jacket (veste)for men is preferred.

Gotta make a stop at Macy's on my way to Tahiti.

42 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

If anyone wants to use a translator, Ponant has a French-language community on the website.  Just came across this one and it'd seem the French have the same questions about what to wear for gala and white events, with the usual of people wanting to adhere and those who prefer to wear other colours (for the white events).  SOme seem to imply a jacket (veste)for men is preferred.

Gotta make a stop at Macy's on my way to Tahiti.

Merci beaucoup for finding that...sadly my francais is tres mauvais!