Can you get an Octopus Card near the cruise port in Hong Kong?

Ehg71

The only thing that is refunded is the stored value or load on the card. The HKD$39 dollar purchase price is not refunded or returned. No deposits are held on the tourist card.  I know the regular cards they mail the refund to you. So the best thing to do on a Tourist card is to spend the balance and not try to refund.

• 3 weeks later...

Although only just back details are a little hazy as we visited several Asian cities with Metro system. 

We were at the new Hong Kong cruise port, Kai Tak,  which is the old airport. There were two complimentary shuttle buses to two shopping centres both of which had attached MTR stations. At Kwun Tong station we bought 4 octopus cards, one each, from the customer service desk. They speak English but payment is cash only. There was a ATM nearby to get the cash. Cost 150hkd each including 50hkd deposit. By our second day we needed to add 50hkd each top up. On our last journey back we cashed in the cards at the same desk, got the deposit back, the remaining stored value less 9hkd as we had had for such a short time. The helpful person at the desk even converted our loose change to hkd notes so we could convert back to USD at the cruise port exchange desk. I think they also did ukp and euros but USD were fine as next stop was Vietnam 

Chris 

Edited by chrisgoates
  • Like 1

As mentioned above the card can go negative one time up to a certain amount. You can also use the stored value at multiple stores. When I was there in October (not a cruise) the night before heading to the airport I figured out my balance and what I needed for the last trip. I then visited a 7-11 for snacks and made sure I left enough as to not go negative beyond the amount allotted. The card currently has a negative balance and I kept it. I always hold on to the MTR cards as they make a nice cheap souvenir and I now have a few from multiple continents. 

Here's a link to one of the recent well-written summary guide to MTR's Octopus Card, by an expats living there - in simple lay terms/language, easily understood.  

https://www.nextstophongkong.com/hong-kong-octopus-card-smartcard/

For visitors, including cruise ship passengers, going to HK and planning to sightsee & get around on their own, which is easily DIY, signage are bilingual ... be sure to have a WiFi capable smartphone or tablet to access resources and online help.  Hotspots are everywhere, some do NOT need log-in and open access, thus - sandbox & guard one's privacy and info, restrict access to finance & banking sites while on those SSiD unless you are VPN enabled.

As to what much to refill - if you are planning to take the Peak Tram, NP 360/Big Budda, MTR to go everywhere, buy snacks & beverages at 7-11's, coffee @ McDonalds, essential toiletries at Watson's, etc. - I recommend starting each Octopus card with $100 USD or equivalent (roughly) as - converted - $700+ in HKD/local currency w. $50 held as deposit will go very quickly - you are add/refill more as you get around.  Unused amount can be refunded, minus a small fee.  Or, keep it and/or pass it along to someone planning to visit HK soon - they will thank you.  

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, mking8288 said:

Here's a link to one of the recent well-written summary guide to MTR's Octopus Card, by an expats living there - in simple lay terms/language, easily understood.  

https://www.nextstophongkong.com/hong-kong-octopus-card-smartcard/

Thank you for this.  The site is really helpful.  We leave for Hong Kong in April for the first time.

Cynthia

• Thanks 1