hot tub/pool chemicals

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No ones guessing.

Sorry, perhaps guessing was the wrong word. I was just trying to say (apparently incorrectly 😋) that they may be able to check once onboard and get a definitive answer prior to hopping into any pool/hot tub.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know of any cruise lines that do not use bromine in their hot tubs?  Carnival told me via e-mail that they do not, however, when we checked onboard, they actually do. 

Celebrity and NCL said the same thing.  My husband is allergic to bromine, and loves hot tubs. 

Thank you.

11 hours ago, mhbromley said:

Does anyone know of any cruise lines that do not use bromine in their hot tubs?  Carnival told me via e-mail that they do not, however, when we checked onboard, they actually do. 

Celebrity and NCL said the same thing.  My husband is allergic to bromine, and loves hot tubs. 

Thank you.

As I said above, the only line that I've heard reportedly using Bromine was HAL (can't confirm).  Bromine is more expensive than chlorine (up to 3 times as expensive) and the delivery system is more complex, so most lines will use liquid chlorine.  Since the ships use halogens to sanitize the thousands of tons of potable water onboard, I don't see any advantage to having two different halogens onboard, especially given the cost differential.  Who onboard told you Carnival used Bromine?  Unless it was a senior engineering officer, I would be skeptical.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, katty88 said:

I wonder as well about hot tubs pregnancy issue, and is it absolutely safe for young mothers to take their time in hot tub (or jacuzzi).

The CDC recommends that pregnant women consult a physician before using a hot tub.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

The CDC recommends that pregnant women consult a physician before using a hot tub.

Thanks for reaction. So what you mean - is that it's all personal for every single person?

Thanks for reaction. So what you mean - is that it's all personal for every single person?

What I mean is that every person needs to decide on their own what risk they want to take, and up to their physician as to what risk they want to recommend to the person, based on their professional opinion.  It also depends on how long you want to stay in the hot tub, as the real concern is how high the person's core temperature gets, so duration and water temperature come into play.

• Like 1

I would like to add a semi-professional opinion. After retiring from teaching, I went back to work in an aquatic center for mostly handicapped children. I did it full time for 7 years. Health advisory instruction was a requisite. Sometimes the pool heater would not turn off and the temperature would approach 104 degrees - hot tub temperature. We would have the kids out by 98 because of temperature stress. As mentioned by 75, core temperature is the problem for pregnant women, so it is very dependent on the hot tub temperature and time spent. If a newborn's temperature reaches 104, you'd be at the hospital with the child. There's no thermometer in the womb to indicate what your core would be approaching.

I've been in many Carnival tubs that ranged from 96 to 98 and wouldn't be a problem. My guess at the Solarium tubs on Grandeur is 102-103.

I was staying at a hotel in the Boston area over the winter. I was in their indoor pool, and a young couple came down to use the hot tub with their 6-8 month-old infant. I had been in the hot tub briefly; it was quite warm - 104 or 105. After seven years in pools and tubs just about daily, I don't need a thermometer to know temperature any longer. They had the infant up to her neck in the hot water. I went to the desk and told the night manager about the situation. She understood but said that normally this was a rental decision. I told her that there was a chance that in ten minutes, she would be calling 911.

If my pregnant wife (42-years ago) wanted to go into a 98 degree tub for a while, I wouldn't be concerned. Full temperature? I'd hope that she sit on the edge or steps.

• Like 2

chengkp75, for your information here is an article I found recently about hot tubs pregnancy, issues where author explains everything about hot tubs and what influence they have on pregnant woman, as well as all options of hot tubs and all the temperature adjustments she should make to make it healthy, but not harmful. Pleasure should not harm in any way.

Edited by katty88

16 hours ago, John Reid said:

I was staying at a hotel in the Boston area over the winter. I was in their indoor pool, and a young couple came down to use the hot tub with their 6-8 month-old infant. I had been in the hot tub briefly; it was quite warm - 104 or 105. After seven years in pools and tubs just about daily, I don't need a thermometer to know temperature any longer. They had the infant up to her neck in the hot water. I went to the desk and told the night manager about the situation. She understood but said that normally this was a rental decision. I told her that there was a chance that in ten minutes, she would be calling 911.

I think that it all depends on each individual's wellness and health.

chengkp75, for your information here is an article I found recently about hot tubs pregnancy, issues where author explains everything about hot tubs and what influence they have on pregnant woman, as well as all options of hot tubs and all the temperature adjustments she should make to make it healthy, but not harmful. Pleasure should not harm in any way.

Basically what I said.  Not sure how you are going to adjust the temperature of a public hot tub shared by many others and where the temperature controls are not available to the public.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Basically what I said.  Not sure how you are going to adjust the temperature of a public hot tub shared by many others and where the temperature controls are not available to the public.

If cruise's staff do care about their clients - they should hear them, I think.

And there are a lot of hot tubs of single type, I mean with sizes only for you and your spouse.

If cruise's staff do care about their clients - they should hear them, I think.

And there are a lot of hot tubs of single type, I mean with sizes only for you and your spouse.

If you are talking about private hot tubs in suites and such, you can have more control.  Most of the public hot tubs on ships are in clusters, and the water supply for all the hot tubs in the cluster is common, so changing the temperature of one tub affects all the tubs on that water circuit.  While it may seem that acceding to your request is reasonable to you, if it impacts other guests, it will not be considered reasonable to them or the cruise line.  If a hot tub experience while pregnant is that important to you, I would suggest looking at the spa and their selection of services which can more easily be tailored to your requirements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If you are talking about private hot tubs in suites and such, you can have more control.  Most of the public hot tubs on ships are in clusters, and the water supply for all the hot tubs in the cluster is common, so changing the temperature of one tub affects all the tubs on that water circuit.  While it may seem that acceding to your request is reasonable to you, if it impacts other guests, it will not be considered reasonable to them or the cruise line.  If a hot tub experience while pregnant is that important to you, I would suggest looking at the spa and their selection of services which can more easily be tailored to your requirements.

Chief - Thanks again for another piece of information that most of us probably didn't know. I love reading your posts and learning from your vast knowledge of ship operations. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, katty88 said:

I think that it all depends on each individual's wellness and health.

The individual in question was an infant 6 to 8 months old. I'm not sure how the wellness and health of an 18-pound infant applies to the level of danger body temperature rise in 105 degree water.

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2019 at 6:12 AM, chengkp75 said:

As I said above, the only line that I've heard reportedly using Bromine was HAL (can't confirm).  Bromine is more expensive than chlorine (up to 3 times as expensive) and the delivery system is more complex, so most lines will use liquid chlorine.  Since the ships use halogens to sanitize the thousands of tons of potable water onboard, I don't see any advantage to having two different halogens onboard, especially given the cost differential.  Who onboard told you Carnival used Bromine?  Unless it was a senior engineering officer, I would be skeptical.

Edited by mhbromley
didnt reply

In regards to the bromine question, I always ask at the service desk, and they contact engineering.  

I am wondering if they use bromine on the Oasis of the Seas and the Celebrity Reflection.