Diet Sodas

Swallslv

As someone who wouldn't consider the package (prestige or not) ...

For one thing we don't go to the bars generally since DH's drink of juice is orange juice, no ice.  We will go to a bar if there is a Meet & Greet party or if someone else asks us to join them for a drink.  But usually I'll have a drink in our room before dinner.  We tend not to have wine/beer at lunch, by the pool, etc.

The main reason we don't take a package beyond that is that (a) I don't want my wine by a "limited" glass, and (b) we don't drink enough per day to justify the cost anyway.  We do appreciate that Oceania will permit only one member in the cabin to take the package -- other lines often require that both take it, which would be another "no thank you" from us.

I'm much happier buying a bottle from the wine list for dinner (which I can nurse over 2-3 days usually) OR take a bottle that we brought on board and pay the corkage fee.  Even paying the $25 makes that bottle cheaper than if I bought it on board.  If we are in a suite that gives us 6 bottles gratis (mix or match, wines/liquors) then we can use some wine to take to dinner and then there isn't a corkage fee.  We usually take 1-2 bottles of vodka and the others are wines.

Many people who take the package just like the convenience ... and it would seem they are more likely to go to cocktail hour in a bar than we are.

I think people need to decide how much they would spend per day if they just pay when the drink is served, and see if the package is worth it.  But also -- do you want to order your wine per glass from a limited selection or choose your bottle?  OR bring on your own?  Oceania makes that easy.  The technical rule now is 6 bottles but I've never heard of that limit being enforced.

The package IS convenient ...but for us, and people like us, it isn't worth the cost.

Mura

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

One of the Connoisseur cruise consultants we dealt with questioned as to why we would want Oceania's beverage package as, in her opinion, it's one thing they haven't figured out.  We were just asking if this was the norm, or different.

The TA has not figured it out  or Oceania?

What is to figure out ? 🤔

The House Select is Wine by the glass/beer  & Champagne by the glass  with lunch & dinner

The Prestige package

You order what you want to drink  they bring it to you

5 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

Correct, this was our first cruise with Oceania. We had a wonderful cruise and have already booked another Oceania cruise. We obviously had the alcohol package, but were disappointed with what was available on our cruise compared to what we have had on other cruise lines. One of the Connoisseur cruise consultants we dealt with questioned as to why we would want Oceania's beverage package as, in her opinion, it's one thing they haven't figured out.  We were just asking if this was the norm, or different.

What's to figure out?

$60 per day (prestige package) gets one passenger unlimited spirits (except for a handful of cognacs/single malt scotches) and glasses of wine from a very basic selection of mediocre items as well as beer. Or take the O Life meal time perk and add $20/person/day for "prestige." And remember that the 18% gratuity is included.

It's true that aficionados of the "exceptional" spirits (e.g., Gunpowder Gin, Cask Strength Makers Mark, etc) may be disappointed at their absence. But, they do have some better spirits like Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks, El Tesoro Anejo, Mount Gay black label, etc. Order four "call" doubles a day and you're ahead of the "prestige package" game.

That said, we no longer do the "prestige package." We bring our own wine (just brought a case on Riviera - Southampton to NYC) and, besides Happy Hours, get invited to enough hosted events to satisfy any need we may have for spirits.

And, back to the original question: if you have a special soda request, you or your TA should call 

O at least several weeks prior to embarkation.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

12 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The TA has not figured it out  or Oceania?

What is to figure out ? 🤔

She meant how to figure out a package with better options, including better variety. On my cruise they only had 3 Bourbons: Makers Mark, Wild turkey 101, and Knob Creek. They ran out of Wild turkey and Knob Creek, so really only Makers Mark. That and the diet mixer options. Don't get me wrong, they make strong drinks and we made do. But this is the first cruise I had a hard time deciding what drink to order because of limited offerings vs. too many good offerings.

4 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

She meant how to figure out a package with better options, including better variety. On my cruise they only had 3 Bourbons: Makers Mark, Wild turkey 101, and Knob Creek. They ran out of Wild turkey and Knob Creek, so really only Makers Mark. That and the diet mixer options. Don't get me wrong, they make strong drinks and we made do. But this is the first cruise I had a hard time deciding what drink to order because of limited offerings vs. too many good offerings.

If you only drink  those brands   then yes could be  a problem if  they run out

then just  get the pay as you drink  & bring some  spirits  for consumption in your cabin 

I know nothing about Bourbon   but they seem to have 6 American whiskies on our sailing

image.thumb.png.77a66f23bb9a330ec40b9d02dba2d853.png