Cove or regular balcony?

Mysticalbama

I feel a little better after reading this thread. First time booking a Cove Balcony. We have an adjoining room 2437 and 2439. I read reviews that say these rooms are noisy because they are under the galley. I am a bit worried but there are no other adjoining rooms left for Cove Balconies  and that is what I really want to experience. 

We love the Coves!!  

We have stayed in port and starboard forwardmost cove on Breeze and Magic, and have the same cabin booked for February on the Magic.  Our favorite cabin and location--we loved it more than Spa balcony.

Noise is subjective, so since you can't change your cabin, don't stress about it.   What keeps others up half the night may not even be a concern for you.  

Had a Cove on the original Transatlantic re-positioning of the Vista.  Think North Atlantic in winter; they wound up closing it off (which they do with large metal storm shutter 'doors' that only have two hinges and two 'dogs' to fasten them shut) and not only did we lose the use of the balcony, but the incessant squeaking (metal on metal) of the 'metal storm shutters' drove us insane - we finally got moved to an inside cabin for the rest of the voyage.

I'd say if you're confident of good weather, it would be very nice.  Any hurricanes, rough seas....not so good. 

19 hours ago, BIGA961 said:

You are so welcome! I am super happy that you were able to benefit from them! 

7 hours ago, Jamericannn said:

I feel a little better after reading this thread. First time booking a Cove Balcony. We have an adjoining room 2437 and 2439. I read reviews that say these rooms are noisy because they are under the galley. I am a bit worried but there are no other adjoining rooms left for Cove Balconies  and that is what I really want to experience. 

Well I can say that I second what Sweetiepie3 said regarding the lack of noise being located under the galley. In the photos I posted that cabin was under the galley on the Dream. I too was worried based on what others say but I never thought of it again once aboard the ship. We never heard a disturbing sound. It was very peaceful I must say. 

6 minutes ago, opensaysme said:

You are so welcome! I am super happy that you were able to benefit from them! 

Well I can say that I second what Sweetiepie3 said regarding the lack of noise being located under the galley. In the photos I posted that cabin was under the galley on the Dream. I too was worried based on what others say but I never thought of it again once aboard the ship. We never heard a disturbing sound. It was very peaceful I must say. 

Ok great. Thanks to you both. I am actually not too worried for my self but for the others I am traveling with. I guess I just always try to make our cruises too perfect when that may not be possible. Lol. Last cruise I was traveling with 3 first time cruisers and I was worried at least one of them would get seasick. It did not happened. They were all fine 

11 minutes ago, Jamericannn said:

Ok great. Thanks to you both. I am actually not too worried for my self but for the others I am traveling with. I guess I just always try to make our cruises too perfect when that may not be possible. Lol. Last cruise I was traveling with 3 first time cruisers and I was worried at least one of them would get seasick. It did not happened. They were all fine 

That is so kind of you! Sounds like your travel companions are in great hands! If you think of it you should jump back on here and let us know how it went after you sail! I wish you all a grand cruise! 

Since the coves are very close to the water, that perspective shortens your view of the horizon and you do not get the wider view that you would from a higher deck balcony

The ocean seems speeded up as well because of the shorter distance to it.  A person with motion issues may be affected by the speed at which the ocean appears to zoom by.  Higher deck balconies give a more peaceful, serene sense of moving.

Coves seem to get more ocean spray and salt than the higher deck balconies.

I realize there is a difference in price, which may account for some of the cove's popularity.  I'm not willing to cheapen my balcony experience though.  If someone isn't bothered by the liabilities I mentioned, then go for the less expensive option.

JMO, YMMV

Edited by evandbob

6 hours ago, evandbob said:

Since the coves are very close to the water, that perspective shortens your view of the horizon and you do not get the wider view that you would from a higher deck balcony

The ocean seems speeded up as well because of the shorter distance to it.  A person with motion issues may be affected by the speed at which the ocean appears to zoom by.  Higher deck balconies give a more peaceful, serene sense of moving.

Coves seem to get more ocean spray and salt than the higher deck balconies.

I realize there is a difference in price, which may account for some of the cove's popularity.  I'm not willing to cheapen my balcony experience though.  If someone isn't bothered by the liabilities I mentioned, then go for the less expensive option.

JMO, YMMV

Perhaps there is a shorter view of the horizon. They do get some ocean spray and you may have to wipe off the chairs before sitting sometimes. We don’t get the cove because it’s cheaper, however, we get it because we enjoy the privacy and we love being that close to the water. The sounds of the ocean is relaxing to us. 

We just got off the Dream and our first cove balcony. We loved it. We have had traditional balconies as well. Being that close to the water was fun and relaxing. We had several windy days and sitting out was not a problem. The views were great and it was nice clearly seeing the flying fish skipping across the water. We were in cabin 2409 under the galley and only heard a few sounds in the late morning, not once at night. Our A/C worked great and opening the curtains on cool days revealed a great view as well. 

DSCN0501.JPG

DSCN0540.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:51 AM, opensaysme said:

That is so kind of you! Sounds like your travel companions are in great hands! If you think of it you should jump back on here and let us know how it went after you sail! I wish you all a grand cruise! 

Thank you. I will. I was a regular poster on here until about 2 years ago. I am trying to make a comeback like Brett Favre and MJ did.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I had my first one last week.  Absolutely loved it.  Especially on a Dream Class ship with the extended Deck 5, it'll be my preferred by a LONG shot.

What room did you stay in? Any unbearable noise or foul smell?

I have yet to do a cove. I would enjoy seeing the flying fish. However, I typically only book interior because I don't stay in the room much.

I HATE being on a lower floor. I hate waiting for the elevators, and stopping on so many floors. I will almost always use the steps to get a little exercise in too. Stairs from the second floor is brutal.

I have only stayed in the upper balcony rooms. We haven't tried the cove. I enjoy being higher up on the ship. The view is better when near land or in port. We were last in a Spa Balcony which had us close to the spa and only one deck above the Lido deck for quick and easy access (no need for elevators!).

On 2/3/2019 at 7:02 PM, Mysticalbama said:

I am considering upgrading to a balcony and was wondering what the difference is. Is the Cove one obscured by a lifeboat? How will I know if I get a good balcony? We have never had a balcony and would love input. Is it worth the money? We love the sound of the water and think that would be nice to sit out late at night and just enjoy it. Give me your inputs please.

My wife loves Cove Balconies.... They are closest to the water. Your view is obstructed only if you look up.  The balcony is not as "open" as higher balconies.  Booked only the forward Cover Balconies.  Photos from the Breeze

IMG_20180826_194124606_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180826_201036185.jpg

IMG_20180827_070806626.jpg

IMG_20180829_100124713_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180829_102339853_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180829_103156321_HDR.jpg

Edited by Steve551
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, Jamericannn said:

What room did you stay in? Any unbearable noise or foul smell?

2273, the very first Cove on the starboard side thanks to our PVP.  Perfect.

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

2273, the very first Cove on the starboard side thanks to our PVP.  Perfect.

Are you happy with this cabin? I am thinking for a Cabin right next door, and am not sure if it will be a good choice?

11 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Are you happy with this cabin? I am thinking for a Cabin right next door, and am not sure if it will be a good choice?

I loved it.  It's noisy outdoors with the crashing wake (although plenty quiet inside) and there is some sea spray in the morning that needs to be wiped but one quick wet washcloth solves that.

Things I loved. 1) Outdoor neighbor (you!!) on only one side.  2) Right near the elevators but never heard them at all.  No noise from deck 3 bar.  3) Right by the gangway.  Literally chatted with the cruise director as he stood on the dock.  4) PERFECT dock runners vantage point.  5) And lastly, what I'll describe as a 'small ship' feel.  I love cruising on small ships (think Windstar size).  By being very far forward and down low, one sort of recreates that a bit on a 150,000 tonner and a much lower price point.

Hope that helps!

I just booked our first Cove and couldn't be more excited - especially after reading through all these responses! We'll be in Room 2423 and 2427 on the Dream. I can't decide if I'm more excited about seeing the flying fish or just being close to the water. It's under the galley, but I'm not exceptionally concerned about the noise. I'll still probably pack some ear plugs just in case. :classic_wink:

I just moved from an inside on deck 8 to a Cove on the Breeze! It’s a complete surprise for my family even my hubby doesn’t know!  Heck my kids don’t even know we are going on a cruise!  I feel like Oprah “You get a surprise and you get a surprise!”  Can wait to shock them!  38 days 19 hours!  

2 hours ago, ALSPAUGHDOLL said:

I just moved from an inside on deck 8 to a Cove on the Breeze! It’s a complete surprise for my family even my hubby doesn’t know!  Heck my kids don’t even know we are going on a cruise!  I feel like Oprah “You get a surprise and you get a surprise!”  Can wait to shock them!  38 days 19 hours!  

Did you get upgraded?

I didn’t get a call from the upgrade fairy but I frequently checked the prices and noticed the cost to move to a cove balcony was minimal so I called and made the switch on my own.  We have always stayed on an inside cabin but with our boys getting older thought the balcony would be fun and provide us a bit more space.  

2 minutes ago, ALSPAUGHDOLL said:

I didn’t get a call from the upgrade fairy but I frequently checked the prices and noticed the cost to move to a cove balcony was minimal so I called and made the switch on my own.  We have always stayed on an inside cabin but with our boys getting older thought the balcony would be fun and provide us a bit more space.  

Absolutely.  As a younger cruiser, I love balconies, as they offer a way to escape. I barely spend time on it, though. I usually go to the activities provided onboard!