Transportation from Southampton

nancynana9950

Now that we have our cruise booked it’s time to make travel plans for our arrival in Southampton. So far I have heard about the Victoria Coach to London at $140 for two people. Has anyone used other transportation such as train or other motor coach to get to London?  Cost? Convenience?  We are concerned about toting all our luggage around. 

I usually take the train from Southampton Central to London Waterloo. Trains go every 30 mins or so, and cost about GBP 21 per with advance internet purchase. The travel time is one hour twenty to one hour thirty five. You would have additional taxi to Southampton Central four GBP of 15 or less, and depending where your London Hotel is located an additional GBP 35. 

I love the train, no traffic congestion and easy on easy off. level ground. That being the case, be sure to tell the Taxi Driver in Southampton that you want the "London" Side of the station. The station straddles the tracks and if you get to the wrong side you have to haul your bags up and over a walkway, where the lifts may or may not be working. 

I love traveling on the trains in Europe.  As you watch the country side wizz by you get to see a bit of the UK. 

If you don't have too much luggage, I'd recommend the train. It's fast, comfortable, and as Big Mike said you can watch the countryside go by. We've never had to wait long for a taxi to Southampton Central. But if toting bags is an issue or if you're worried about finding room for them once you're on the train, I'd go for Smiths. They are far more expensive, but we've found their service to be pleasant, reliable, and they'll drop you off at your hotel door.  

Sounds like that lugging your luggage around is something which you wish to ''forget and not to have to do'' - which is fine - me neither !

Therefore I do not recommend the train at all - there are no porters, you will have to carry it through at Waterloo,   
you have to go up stairs and over-bridges at Southampton from the taxi rank outside, no guarantee alas your train will be on the London side - they swap platforms last minute 
- there is NO luggage space on the trains these days and if you are first timers to the joys of our Southwestern Railway then my advice is to forego it - they are on strike half the time and daily they suffer severe delays and weekend engineering works - It is 50-50 if your train will be on time or run at all
I live on this line in the West and it is so unreliable nowadays I am fed up with it.

The Cunard coach if offered for your TA is very good and comfortable to London Victoria  
or take a booked chauffeur car door to door as other folk here have kindly suggested....

Edited by rog747

If you want to make the trip in comfort and style, use https://www.southcoastchauffeurs.co.uk/

We've been using them for years. Very reliable. They have S-Class Mercs complete with wifi and a selection of daily newspapers.

A little bit more than Smiths, but well worth it.

Stewart

Yes I am concerned about luggage. We will likely reserve the coach offered by Cunard for our brief stay in London. Since we will be traveling by train after that I think we shall have to be careful about packing. I did read there are self service laundry facilities on board so that will help. 

1 hour ago, nancynana9950 said:

Yes I am concerned about luggage. We will likely reserve the coach offered by Cunard for our brief stay in London. Since we will be traveling by train after that I think we shall have to be careful about packing. I did read there are self service laundry facilities on board so that will help. 

And Cunard has excellent and reasonably priced dry cleaning as well. 

We have used National Express both times we took the QM2 to and from England (as we don't like flying). Check out their website for extremely affordable prices and specials. Easy with luggage. Clean and comfortable with free wifi. Have a great vacation.

On 2/5/2019 at 6:27 PM, Hawaii136 said:

For 150 pounds we have booked smiths airport car service. Door to door service from exiting ship direct to our London hotel.

We used them to take us from Heathrow to our hotel in Southampton before our last cruise. They were very good, I would certainly recommend them.

Hello Mr Toad. I see you are from Chester. We will be staying a few days with friends who live in Crewe. When we leave Crewe we plan on taking a ferry to Dublin. Does the train from Chester go to Holyhead? There is a ferry from Liverpool but it is much longer than the one from Holyhead. I think our friends would drive us to either Chester or Liverpool. We are looking forward to seeing this part of the UK with our friends. Thanks for any information. 

1 hour ago, nancynana9950 said:

Hello Mr Toad. I see you are from Chester. We will be staying a few days with friends who live in Crewe. When we leave Crewe we plan on taking a ferry to Dublin. Does the train from Chester go to Holyhead? There is a ferry from Liverpool but it is much longer than the one from Holyhead. I think our friends would drive us to either Chester or Liverpool. We are looking forward to seeing this part of the UK with our friends. Thanks for any information. 

Nancy, There are direct trains from Chester to Holyhead. The trip takes about one and a half to two hours. You can check the schedule at nationalrail.co.uk. We took the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin a few years ago and found it to be very pleasant.

9 hours ago, nancynana9950 said:

Hello Nancy

Yes, I am indeed from Chester. There are direct trains from Chester to Holyhead (I've never been on it, but my wife went on it to Dublin a few years ago). Also, the train from Crewe to Chester is very good, it takes under 25 minutes and has no stops in between,  but if you were to drive it would be an hour or so.

Also, there are direct trains from Crewe all the way to Holyhead, which go via Chester. This is always the train that starts from London Euston. If you get on that train at Crewe, you need to make sure you sit in the correct half of the train. The reason is that this train is split in two at Chester; half the train carries on to Holyhead and the other half does not go anywhere. But don't worry because it always says which half to get on at Crewe and they make a lot of announcements as well. And of course once on board you can just move to the correct section of the train. Even if you were still in the wrong section when you arrive at Chester, there is still plenty of time to get off, then they split the train, and re-board the bit of the train that's left. Again, they make announcements telling people not to worry !

Toad

4 hours ago, njkruzer said:

We used Smith's from our hotel in Southampton to Heathrow.   Very nice driver and convenient.  Don't remember the cost but I thought it was reasonable. Definitely would recommend them.

2 years ago (going in reverse to you) was £67 + £7 for them to park at Heathrow. 

A train is about £50 each, and you of course you need to first get on the tube and then get a taxi from Southampton station to your hotel. So a taxi all the way was cheaper, quicker and more convenient than the train.  

On 2/5/2019 at 1:21 PM, nancynana9950 said:

Now that we have our cruise booked it’s time to make travel plans for our arrival in Southampton. So far I have heard about the Victoria Coach to London at $140 for two people. Has anyone used other transportation such as train or other motor coach to get to London?  Cost? Convenience?  We are concerned about toting all our luggage around. 

National Express coaches run a number of services, Heathrow London/ Southampton and London Victoria Coach Station/Southampton.  The fare per person would be about £20.00 each way.  See their website.

Regards John

On 2/6/2019 at 12:20 PM, Toffeegirl68 said:

We always use National Express coaches between London and Southampton. Short cab ride between the ship and coach station.  Luggage safely stowed in the coach boot, sit back and relax....    

On 2/6/2019 at 7:27 PM, kelly3399 said:

We have used National Express both times we took the QM2 to and from England (as we don't like flying). Check out their website for extremely affordable prices and specials. Easy with luggage. Clean and comfortable with free wifi. Have a great vacation.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:34 AM, john watson said:

National Express coaches run a number of services, Heathrow London/ Southampton and London Victoria Coach Station/Southampton.  The fare per person would be about £20.00 each way.  See their website.

Regards John

National Express coach every time.

Paid 13 pounds in Dec.