Emerald princess

natagle1989

5 hours ago, natagle1989 said:

I’m not sure about medallion as there was a press release the other day announcing 3 ships that would have it by the end of 2019 and emerald wasn’t one of them 😞

Which ones were they?

10 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

I think so, our cruise planner says we can buy unlimited internet - or is that different from Medallion Net?

Very different. The only similarity is the unlimited part available in both packages. Medallion Net is the relatively new fast, fast, super fast internet service and, to date,  is available only on Medallion class ships. Unlimited can be purchased with a Medallion Net package but can also be purchased with the older (sloooooower) internet services which is available on non-Medallion class ships. 

One of the regular posters here has discussed the geographic footprint within which Medallion Net works best. He described it as working best at latitudes roughly below Southhampton and roughly above the Falkland Islands. Perhaps if he's around, he can offer a much more finely tuned description of the satellite technology involved. That's well above my pay grade. 

I've purchased an unlimited package on the Emerald for a South Pacific RT next year so I'll definitely have the unlimited part but if it's really slow, there will be little point in having it. 

I think they will do the same things they did to the Ruby and the Crown.

Add The Coffee to make it Coffee and Cones. Change the Grill to Salty Dog and add new

food. New things at Pizza.

Paint the Hull and clean, things like that.

10 hours ago, brt49 said:

Is unlimited internet availability based on geographic location? I will be on the Emerald in August for a Greece cruise and minutes are the only option.

We are cruising from Rome to Athens around the Greek Islands and unlimited internet is being offered to us - there is no option for minutes on my cruise planner 🙂

27 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

We are cruising from Rome to Athens around the Greek Islands and unlimited internet is being offered to us - there is no option for minutes on my cruise planner 🙂

Are you on a Medallion Class ship?

Fascinating. I just looked at some cruises we have booked this year.

Grand in Feb shows only the 3 unlimited packages you describe. 

Enerald later in the year shows 120, 240, 460, and 680 with no unlimited option. 

Another Emerald later in the year with 120, 240, 460, and 680 with no unlimited option. 

And a Golden later in the year with 120, 240, 460, and 680 with no unlimited option. 

I suppose its its a ship by ship function but oddly the Grand isn’t yet a Medallion Class ship. 

Im stumped. 

I just found this - the prices are way more than we are paying but it says what ships have PrincessConnect and MedallionNet.  Funny that your Emerald cruise is not showing unlimited option.

The information is at the bottom - scroll down once on the page.

https://www.princesscruises.de/en/holiday-princess/important-information/communication-services

7 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

I just found this - the prices are way more than we are paying but it says what ships have PrincessConnect and MedallionNet.  Funny that your Emerald cruise is not showing unlimited option.

The information is at the bottom - scroll down once on the page.

https://www.princesscruises.de/en/holiday-princess/important-information/communication-services

Very, very perplexing. I went back to double check to make certain my eyes weren’t deceiving me. The Emerald sailings are as I reported. 

The link you sent shows a 2019 date at the bottom of the page so that implies currency. It’s a German site but I can’t believe that has anything to do with it. 

It’s all clearly beyond my pay grade. 

I’ll weigh in here by saying my internet options are still in minutes, 680 being the top. 

I sail on the Emerald in October from Barcelona so I expect things to change on the website. I’ll hold off on ordering until closer to sailing time. 

FWIW, 680 minutes for my 22 days cruise is $200.00 (usd)

Glenn

2 hours ago, Grburkart said:

I’ll weigh in here by saying my internet options are still in minutes, 680 being the top. 

I sail on the Emerald in October from Barcelona so I expect things to change on the website. I’ll hold off on ordering until closer to sailing time. 

FWIW, 680 minutes for my 22 days cruise is $200.00 (usd)

Glenn

I find this all very odd - perhaps the unlimited internet on our cruise is a trial?  It has shown as being available since I booked way back in August last year.

33 minutes ago, brt49 said:

As of today, our 8/17-8/31 Rome to Barcelona cruise on the Emerald is minutes. I loved the unlimited on the Grand last March. With 9 days at sea back and forth to Hawaii, it was a godsend.

What were the download speeds?