Flam options

Onelung

RIB (rigid inflatable boat) tours ... fast boats 

kayak tours .... 

you can hike or bike the train route up to Myrdal (you can ride the train UP and pickup a bike there and ride down ... or walk down)

there are some ferry rides you can pick up here, but you need more time than the average cruise stop.  If you have time you might want to investigate Norway In A Nutshell.  Our cruise ended in Bergen and we booked  via "nutshell" a combined train, bus, ferry, train trip to Oslo via Flam - with an overnight in Flam.  https://www.norwaynutshell.com/

there were people swimming this past July .....  look closely!

IMG_1161.JPG

• Like 1

Flam is really beautiful but small. There is a small market to wander round and worth visiting the  Aegir brewery even if you don't have a drink it's worth a quick look inside. We were there in July and it was hot  so people were sunbathing on the grass and swimming in the fjord as well as locals jumping off the bridge into the river. Don't miss the sail out, it's really lovely and our ship had a classical concert on deck which made it more special.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hallasm said:

RIP boat Fjord Safar

11 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

RIB (rigid inflatable boat) tours ... fast boats 

10 hours ago, hallasm said:

Captain - Thank you so much for the correction:classic_blush:

I did refer to my 'RIP* and missing 'i'

http://www.emobflam.no/en/cars/

We have 10 nifty little Renault Twizys in our fleet. Renault calls the Twizy an “urban two-seater”, but it is just perfect for our wild, mountainous area!

The Twizy is perfect for big experiences on small roads and (almost) inaccessible places – of which we have plenty! The open cabin lets the wind blow through your hair and you’ll feel close to nature. Since the car is somewhat unusual with two seats one behind the other, the experience may be shared with a good friend.

The car is 100 per cent electric, with a battery that has enough power to bring you around the routes we have planned for you. It is easy to drive, takes up little space and is easy to park. It is also one hundred per cent safe, with a three-point safety belt and airbag.

https://www.visitflam.com/activities/flam-zipline/?

Experience the Flåm Zipline, the longest zipline in Scandinavia with a span of 1,381 metres. This breathtaking zipline starts at Vatnahalsen near the Bergen Line and the Flåm Railway and ends up in Kårdalen close to the Rallarrosa Cheese Farm, in the upper part of the Flåm valley. Welcome to a RAW experience!

We did the Flam Railway in the morning, and the following tour in the afternoon:

In Flam, we had a lovely afternoon visiting a goat farm, exploring the beautiful town of Undredal (the inspiration for the movie Frozen), and then eating local cheeses (including brown caramel goat cheese) and a delicious lunch that was organized by Flam Guide Service ( http://www.fjordsafari.com ). Fjord Safari's booth is located about a minute away from the Flam railway platform, so you will have no problem finding your tour. You can combine this tour with a hike and boat ride along the fjords if your group is all physically fit. It was a very pleasant and enjoyable excursion, which I would highly recommend. We traveled in May, before the goats move to their summer farms so this excursion had to be individually arranged. Flam Guide service stayed in contact with us and gave us updates as they worked to book this reservation, and they also helpfully provided car seats for our children. Our tour guide was highly knowlegdable and helpful and this tour was one of the highlights of our cruise. 

• Like 1

Hi, 

I'm a Norwegian who travels frequently in the region and recently made a video about three things I think you really shouldn't miss in Flåm. 

You can check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_I2047kn_0

I'm in no way associated with any of the tours or the providers etc. They are just my personal opinion from several visits. 

Best 

Would doing the train ride in the morning and the bus to Stegastein in the afternoon be very similar as far as the scenery? Perhaps one of these and a boat cruise in the fjord would be a better choice? Are the train station and the tourist information booth close to the cruise port? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks