Medallion Net Plans

MsSoCalCruiser

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:20 AM, xDisconnections said:

How did you find MedallionNet’s reliability at the bottom of South America? We’ll be cruising around the Horn and to Antarctica on the Coral in January which is scheduled to be getting MedallionNet.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:54 PM, TimbersfanOR said:

My wife and I are on the Ruby right now.  If they offered medallionnet for free, it would still feel like a rip off.  The internet is painfully slow on this ship regardless of the time of day.  Their response so far has been “well it isn’t slow for me” which isnt super helpful.

I am wondering the same thing.  My husband was on the same Ruby sailing and said the speed was ok but not really better than the old.  I have been reading that the O3B coverage doesn't extend north of the US or to the tip of S. America, which is where we're going for our next three cruises (Canada/Greenland on the CB, S. America/Antarctica on the Coral like the poster above, and Alaska on the Grand in 2020.)  I'm wondering if we'll really see the Medallion speed. 

Onboard Caribbean Princess now for B2B 4 and 7 night. Purchased Medallion Net unlimited plan on embarkation day for $44.95 for 11 nights with Platinum discount. Only available embarkation day. For B2B cruisers, your today days are now a "voyage" and benefits are based on that. DH didn't purchase package planning to use Platinum minutes on 4 nighter and buy package for 7 nights. Told this was not possible since he used his minutes for this voyage. Good news is that coffee package carries over as well as OBC.

25 minutes ago, VaCruzers said:

Onboard Caribbean Princess now for B2B 4 and 7 night. Purchased Medallion Net unlimited plan on embarkation day for $44.95 for 11 nights with Platinum discount. Only available embarkation day. For B2B cruisers, your today days are now a "voyage" and benefits are based on that. DH didn't purchase package planning to use Platinum minutes on 4 nighter and buy package for 7 nights. Told this was not possible since he used his minutes for this voyage. Good news is that coffee package carries over as well as OBC.

Did you book this as two segments, each with its own booking number or as a single booking. If booked with two booking numbers, one for each segment, what DH wanted should have been possible.

20 minutes ago, caribill said:

Did you book this as two segments, each with its own booking number or as a single booking. If booked with two booking numbers, one for each segment, what DH wanted should have been possible.

Yes, booked as two sailings. This is why I posted as it's a new procedure on Caribbean princess, at least. According to Alan, the internet cafe manager, it's for all Medallion sailings.

In case this is helpful for others who find this thread, we will be on the Ruby for a 7-day sailing.  I saw $59.99 for Medallion Net online, but since we have more than one device, I called Princess to see if they had other packages available. 

I was told that there was nothing available in advance, but that I could purchase a 4-device plan for $139.93 when I got on board.  (I’m not Platinum, so perhaps the cost for Platinum/Elite would be lower.)

Hi VaCruzers,

I have a question about the Caribbean Princess internet.  As soon as the ship sailed on the 14th, Princess raised the on-line 7 day package from $59.99 to $69.99 but they also added the 4 device plan as well for $104 or something like that.  We are a family of 4 so we’ll probably go with the 4 device plan (although DH wants to make the kids detox LOL!) but we should have the Elite discount so I was curious about how much they are charging Elite’s for the 4 device plan on board.  Everybody keeps saying it’s cheaper to buy on board and get our discount on the first day but I also get nervous about surprises that could raise prices if we don’t buy the “discounted on-line rates” in advance.  I just wish they had Elite on-line rates so there wouldn’t be a question.

Thanks,

Tina

1 hour ago, Are.we.there.yet? said:

Hi VaCruzers,

I have a question about the Caribbean Princess internet.  As soon as the ship sailed on the 14th, Princess raised the on-line 7 day package from $59.99 to $69.99 but they also added the 4 device plan as well for $104 or something like that.  We are a family of 4 so we’ll probably go with the 4 device plan (although DH wants to make the kids detox LOL!) but we should have the Elite discount so I was curious about how much they are charging Elite’s for the 4 device plan on board.  Everybody keeps saying it’s cheaper to buy on board and get our discount on the first day but I also get nervous about surprises that could raise prices if we don’t buy the “discounted on-line rates” in advance.  I just wish they had Elite on-line rates so there wouldn’t be a question.

Thanks,

Tina

Sorry, I don't know about multiple devices plans. I didn't notice the rate for those, but the best price is on embarkation day and it will be lower than the pre cruise discounts offered per the internet cafe manager. Also, I can't edit, but noticed a typo in my earlier post that said "today's days". That should have said total days. 

3 hours ago, Are.we.there.yet? said:

Hi VaCruzers,

Thanks,

Tina

Sorry, I don't know about multiple devices plans. I didn't notice the rate for those, but the best price is on embarkation day and it will be lower than the pre cruise discounts offered per the internet cafe manager. Also, I can't edit, but noticed a typo in my earlier post that said "today's days". That should have said total days. 

The Platinum and Elite discount applied to the embarkation day special.

IMG_20190518_211525.jpg

4 hours ago, Are.we.there.yet? said:

Hi VaCruzers,

Thanks,

Tina

Here's the Elite discount for a single device and 4 devices for 14 days. For 7 days it should be half. This was on the Royal this past week.

IMG_4572.PNG

VaCruzers and idahospud,

Thank you both for answering my question.  Seeing the screen details and flyer really helps.  It seems like we should wait and purchase on board.

ehogan..... the Elite minutes are alive and well, if that’s all you want.  We sailed on the Royal in March and it was really fast and we managed just fine with the free minutes.  This trip on the CB, we’ll be sailing with our internet sucking kids so I’m just trying to figure out which plan is better and compare costs.  It would be great if they could just share but easier said than done!

Thanks again!

Tina

27 minutes ago, Are.we.there.yet? said:

VaCruzers and idahospud,

Thank you both for answering my question.  Seeing the screen details and flyer really helps.  It seems like we should wait and purchase on board.

ehogan..... the Elite minutes are alive and well, if that’s all you want.  We sailed on the Royal in March and it was really fast and we managed just fine with the free minutes.  This trip on the CB, we’ll be sailing with our internet sucking kids so I’m just trying to figure out which plan is better and compare costs.  It would be great if they could just share but easier said than done!

Thanks again!

Tina

You can share the one device unlimited plan. Just have to only one of your devices signed on at a time.

10 hours ago, VaCruzers said:

Yes, booked as two sailings. This is why I posted as it's a new procedure on Caribbean princess, at least. According to Alan, the internet cafe manager, it's for all Medallion sailings.

Posted in another thread by someone on a B2B booked as two cruises:

" If using your Internet minutes, the system initially gave me just 250 minutes rather than 150 minutes for each 7-day cruise. Not a big deal but it took a trip to the Internet Cafe Manager to add the 50 minutes for a total of 300 minutes. "

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 1:28 AM, hm9912 said:

I am on the Royal now and purchased the unlimited Medallion net package for $99.00 for the entire 49 days prior to boarding.

We used facetime for more than a half hour with our three grandkids yesterday and it worked great.

My advice is to purchase the unlimited package a week or so prior or whatever deal you can get.

DO NOT wait until you are on board as it will be more expensive.

BTW I can watch my local channel 7 ABC NY news with my slingbox while I am on board this ship using Medallion net

With the unlimited package you no longer have to worry about using up your minutes if you fail to logoff.

Howard

I assume it is accessed in airplane mode like the ship's intranet

On 2/10/2019 at 1:28 AM, hm9912 said:

I am on the Royal now and purchased the unlimited Medallion net package for $99.00 for the entire 49 days prior to boarding.

We used facetime for more than a half hour with our three grandkids yesterday and it worked great.

My advice is to purchase the unlimited package a week or so prior or whatever deal you can get.

DO NOT wait until you are on board as it will be more expensive.

BTW I can watch my local channel 7 ABC NY news with my slingbox while I am on board this ship using Medallion net

With the unlimited package you no longer have to worry about using up your minutes if you fail to logoff.

Howard

It is accessed in airplane mode, right?

Yes! You remain in airplane mode.

The only time I used my phone to connect to a local cell tower was in Buenos Aires to meet friends for dinner 

Once back on board ship it was back to airplane mode

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 9:25 PM, VaCruzers said:

The Platinum and Elite discount applied to the embarkation day special.

IMG_20190518_211525.jpg

When is a discount not a discount? 

I've read again and again that the price of 1-device MedallionNet is $9.99/day.  This supposed 50% discount looks like the old trick of dressing up the normal price to look like a discount, but it's a phony discount from a "suggested retail price" which is inflated and never actually charged.  In this case Princess is saying the "regular" price $19.99/day  and you can get a "special" 50% discount to cut it to $9.99.  Problem is, from what I've seen $9.99 is the MOST anyone ever pays for MedallionNet.  Have I got this wrong?

I have current booking and this what system shows me as available for our 10 day cruise on Crown

image.png.b0cf1ac9a1428dfa9cb23f0b7a0c932b.png

image.png.929bab8b7d6208b37e797ab02d01d27c.png

We learned that we have it complimentary (did not expect this) 🙂

image.png.d14f3ce13a4a1bc760243de76acc0412.png

11 hours ago, mnocket said:

I've read again and again that the price of 1-device MedallionNet is $9.99/day.  This supposed 50% discount looks like the old trick of dressing up the normal price to look like a discount, but it's a phony discount from a "suggested retail price" which is inflated and never actually charged.  In this case Princess is saying the "regular" price $19.99/day  and you can get a "special" 50% discount to cut it to $9.99.  Problem is, from what I've seen $9.99 is the MOST anyone ever pays for MedallionNet.  Have I got this wrong?

I also did not understand 50%. It showed me $69 for 10 day cruise (could this be my Platinum discount?).

11 hours ago, mnocket said:

Actually, the $19.99 is being charged if you're buying the package for just a day. 

IMG_4466.PNG

2 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Actually, the $19.99 is being charged if you're buying the package for just a day. 

This is interesting.  Up until now I've always heard that you couldn't get MedallionNet by the day.  Seems this is true for pre-purchase only, but once on the ship you can buy by the day?

31 minutes ago, mnocket said:

This is interesting.  Up until now I've always heard that you couldn't get MedallionNet by the day.  Seems this is true for pre-purchase only, but once on the ship you can buy by the day?

The screen capture is from when we were on the ship, so yes you can buy it by the day.

Edited by idahospud

23 hours ago, mnocket said:

Sorry if I'm dense - are all of these quoted prices in this thread for 'the masses' or for elite level folks?  I'm at the bottom rung and have no idea whether to take the $14.99/day for 4 devices or wait until embarkation day (next Monday).  All help is appreciated!

12 hours ago, mjliss said:

Sorry if I'm dense - are all of these quoted prices in this thread for 'the masses' or for elite level folks?  I'm at the bottom rung and have no idea whether to take the $14.99/day for 4 devices or wait until embarkation day (next Monday).  All help is appreciated!

The $9.99 (1-device) & $14.99 (4-device) prices are the regular prices that Princess claims are 50% discounts (seems you can buy per day once on board at double these prices).

So even though this "50% discount" is kind of bogus in that it seems to be the standard price for pre-booking MedallionNet, the question is ...... Is this the best price you can get?   The answer, as best I can tell, is maybe - maybe not.  It seems that on some shorter (e.g. 7-day) cruises, Princess offers a price of $59.99 which works out to a bit less than $9.99/day for the 1-device package.  As I mentioned in my previous post, several roll call members for my 28-day cruise in 7 months reported that they got a highly discounted price, but that discount was short lived and I haven't seen it since.  It's unclear to me if discounts below the $14.99/day 4- device price are offered once on board, but my impression is that if they are, they are not very common.  If I were you with embarkation just days away, I'd probably bite the bullet and buy the package now.  That said, it seems that the "50% discount", i.e. $14.99 price is usually touted as a "first day special" on embarkation day - so there's always the option of waiting until then to see if an even better deal is offered.  Sorry, I wish I had better advice, but it's a bit of a gamble either way.