Alaska suggestions for shutter bug

Hi was wondering if anyone has some tips for an amateur shutter bug. I have a Nikon D5000 and will have two lenses 18-55 and 55-200. I’m going on a two week tour one week land one week on cruise ship. Highlights include whale watching, glacier bay, train ride, and day trip into Denali. I know traveling through Alaska will require a lot taking pics through glass on the bus and trains. Dose anyone have suggestions for clear pics shooting like that? Also was thinking of buying/bringing a disposable rain cover is that worth it? Other delema is which lens to use as primary? I’m not the fastest at switching them let along juggling them on a boat or bus. I would love some nice close up shots of animals as well as some scenery pics I can blow up and frame.  I have a back up battery and lots of SD cards. 

6 hours ago, VacTimeAllways said:

Also was thinking of buying/bringing a disposable rain cover is that worth it? Other delema is which lens to use as primary? I’m not the fastest at switching them let along juggling them on a boat or bus. I would love some nice close up shots of animals as well as some scenery pics I can blow up and frame.  I have a back up battery and lots of SD cards. 

Long lens on whale/wildlife tour. Short on land/train. Sounds simple, but will cover 98% of your photo opportunities. Use S mode and make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/250 for whales and on the train. 1/500 is better if the light is good. For landscape, f/8 is usually the sharpest aperture on most lenses. If you end up in a snowfield or on a glacier, remember your camera wants an average exposure and will make snow grey and dull. Overexpose by +1 stop or so to correct for this.

Yes on rain. Op/Tech rainsleeves have served me well for decades. Cheap, effective and easy to pack along. Don't be afraid to shoot in the rain. Alaska is beautiful even when wet.

Dave

Edited by pierces

11 hours ago, VacTimeAllways said:

...Highlights include whale watching, glacier bay, train ride, and day trip into Denali. I know traveling through Alaska will require a lot taking pics through glass on the bus and trains. Dose anyone have suggestions for clear pics shooting like that? Also was thinking of buying/bringing a disposable rain cover is that worth it? ...

Shooting through train windows on the Yukon White Pass RR in Skagway, or through bus windows, presents a problem with glare that a polarizer filter might help a little.  Photographing on the McKinley Explorer Dome Trains through the very thick glass is impossible unless you like rainbows running through your photos that will take a lot of Photoshopping to overcome.

On both trains, avoid the windows and go to the platforms between the cars for clear shots.

image.png.a726af54a1c86f570ef18418403fc3d2.png

Thanks for the tips so far will definitely check out the rain cover. I had no idea you could go between the cars on the train will give that a shot for sure would love some guaranteed  no glare pics. Was wondering would a hood that would allow me to basically press the lens to the glass help cut down the glare ? If I can reach the glass. 

6 hours ago, VacTimeAllways said:

Thanks for the tips so far will definitely check out the rain cover. I had no idea you could go between the cars on the train will give that a shot for sure would love some guaranteed  no glare pics. Was wondering would a hood that would allow me to basically press the lens to the glass help cut down the glare ? If I can reach the glass. 

A rubber hood can help, but you are pretty limited in your angle. If what you want to shoot is directly in front of the window, you would only have to deal with reflections off the front element or filter. That's the best case. as you angle the camera side to side or up and down, the hood becomes less effective. You also have to consider the odds that the window is clean and what you want to shoot is on your side. If you are going to try a polarizer to reduce reflections, note that if the window is polycarbonate as in the dome trains or an airplane/helicopter, that material is already partially polarizing and will cause a pretty severe rainbow or striping effect.

You may not get every shot you want, but it's Alaska and you will get some awesome shots. Just the nature of the place. It is one big awesome photo-op.

Dave

On 2/8/2019 at 2:01 AM, VacTimeAllways said:

Look for a generic flexible lens hood, there used to be rubber or rubber-like hoods available. With that on your lens, if the hood is pressed tightly to the glass you will eliminate most of the obnoxious reflection.

Also, do note that shooting through glass on a moving vehicle is not optimal at the best of times. Go with the flow. Shoot wider. Show the context of the shot (windows, window frames, other passengers, etc.) If you want that ideal shot of Denali, pay the money to go someplace where you can set up your tripod and wait for a day or two for the right lighting. My own favorite shows the green light of northern lights reflected off Denali, but it cost me. And most others don’t get it that the green hue is anything other than photoshopping so is only for myself...

Stan