Please help with post-cruise London plans

We will arrive in Southampton on a Friday morning and plan on taking a tour with a private company that gets to our hotel in London around 5 pm.  On Saturday, We would like to tour directly thru St. Paul's Cathedral for a 1.5 hour tour, we would arrive via taxi. Afterwards I would like to cab to Harrods as I have always wanted to go and pick up a souvenier or two. Then cab back to hotel for a day of rest. Sunday we would take a half day tour from Victoria Station to Tower of London and Buckingham Palace. Monday morning we will fly home.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I am limited in my mobility due to pain and decreased range of motion.        Some question please.              What moderate priced ( $150) hotel or area should we stay in? We would like a very short walk to get to a cafe or pub.  Are taxis easy to obtain and how pricey?  Anyone who has toured these areas, are these any places to sit for a couple of minutes while walking around the 3 attractions?  Any other information or help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by bluecruisin
added point

The Tower and Buckingham Palace are at opposite ends of central London, Buck Palace isn't too far from Harrods, St Paul's isn't too far from the Tower.

the problems are your mobility and hotel cost.

Because it's a weekend you'll find special hotel rates at the City end of central London - St Paul's to the Tower and Canary Wharf - which are busy with business people during the week. You MIGHT find a hotel there within that budget.

Alternatively the districts of Victoria (the Palace and Harrods) or Paddington (the other side of Hyde Park)

But you're going to find them more expensive.

The Tube (London's extensive metro system) means that all parts of central London are quickly accessible from all districts, and won't be so crowded at the weekends, but might not suit your mobility. London's black cabs can be hailed in the street - OK for a short hop but expensive for more than a mile or two. For those distances use Uber or ask your hotel to call a private-hire taxi.

consider one a of London's hop-on buses for an easy overview of all of central London's sights

JB :classic_smile:

JB, Thanks for all your help. I have also been doing some research since I posted my question. I am, at this point, considering looking for a hotel near Victoria Station. Could you please help me with suggestions on this?             I am now considering taking a cab from our hotel to and then back from St. Pauls only on Saturday. On Sunday I am considering a tour that leaves from Victoria Station and goes to the Tower of London, then a general city tour and lastly tours Westminister Abbey.

Sorry, can't help with specific hotels.

I've seen Luna and Simone frequently recommended on CC but it's over 200 USD.

Victoria has a very wide range of hotels, from small family hotels ( beware high floors with no elevator) to international chains.

A good area for your ininerary

bluecruisin ~

I've recently been researching hotels for a last-minute visit to London in April.  I'm afraid that $150 (currently = about £115) isn't a "moderate" price for London hotels; it's pretty close to the low end of the price scale.  However, you can find some decent hotels at that price or slightly more.

A few thoughts:

--- Tripadvisor (a sister website to Cruise Critic) is a great website for finding and sorting through London hotels.  If you haven't yet done so, I'd strongly suggest that you spend some time looking through that site.  From the homepage, just click the "Hotels" tab at the top of the page and put in "London" and your specific dates.  You can filter the resulting list by price.

--- Many of the, smaller, less expensive independent B&B hotels that will show up on the list are located in Georgian townhouses are fine.  However, invariably they do not have lifts (elevators); they do tend to have steep, narrow staircases.  So, charming as some of these places might seem, you might want to eliminate these from your list.

--- Premier Inn is an excellent budget/moderately priced chain with a number of modern (some brand-new) hotels throughout London.  Rooms are basic but (in my experience) well-designed and spotlessly clean, with very comfortable beds.  Rooms are priced on a "dynamic pricing" model based on supply and demand; prices tend to rise as your designated dates get closer, so it behooves you to book as far in advance as you can.  As an example:  A few weeks ago, about three months in advance of my stay, I booked three nights at a Premier Inn for £192.  When I checked the prices yesterday, they had risen to around £ (However, do NOT book a PI "Hub" hotel -- those have tiny rooms designed specifically for young hipsters on a low budget.:classic_wink:)

--- As other posters have pointed out, London is quite spread out, and the places you want to visit are on opposite sides of the city, so at some point you will need to take a taxi or Uber or Underground or bus to get where you want to go.  As far as reasonably central areas are concerned, I prefer Bloomsbury -- but that's very much a personal choice, and there are a number of other neighbo(u)rhoods that are just as convenient.  There's no shortage of pubs and cafes throughout London, and bus routes and Underground stations are always nearby wherever you are in central London.  (Taxis will be relatively expensive, but they do provide the most comfortable way of getting from place to place for someone with limited mobility.)

--- When you're looking at hotels online, do be aware that you will see hotels that are located on the outskirts of town or in areas that are less desireable for tourist purposes.  

--- Once I have found the hotel I want via a travel search engine, I prefer to book directly though the hotel's own website rather than with a third-party booking service.  The popular travel/booking websites tend to advertise a "low, low" base price, but then (at least when booking from the U.S.) add booking fees that can make the final price considerably less attractive.  I've found that the hotel websites themselves usually have the lowest prices.

--- Finally, once you have found a few hotels that appeal to you in terms of price and amenities, post those hotels here before you book.  Some of the forum regulars or myself can then advise you as to the desirability of those specific hotels and locations.

In the meantime, if anything else remotely relevant pops into my head, I'll add that information.

Hope this helps you!

Edited by Post Captain

Just to elaborate slightly on Globaliser's reply:  Because of the heavy traffic throughout London, at all hours, the most significant aspect of the distance between any two points isn't so much the actual mileage as it is the time it takes to travel between them.   (No doubt I'm stating the obvious, but it probably bears mentioning.)

The question about traveling between Heathrow and central London is one that gets asked frequently.  The general consensus seems to be that it's cheaper to book a car service (with a fixed price) rather than hail a taxi on the street (where your ride is "on the meter" -- that is, where you're charged by the amount of time the trip takes, which could be anywhere upwards of an hour).  I invariably take the Tube between London and Heathrow, so I don't have any personal experience of specific car services, but if you do a search on these fora, you'll find plenty of recommendations.

Bluecruisin, I was thinking about your question about places to stop and sit while you're touring London.  I'm generally a strenuous walker (even at my advanced age:classic_wink:), but a few years ago I suddenly developed an extremely painful corn while perambulating around London.  I found myself popping into cafes (and pubs, naturally) at increasingly frequent intervals just to sit down.  Incidentally, if I'm not mistaken, many large department stores, including Harrods, also have cafes/ tea rooms, as do many if not most of the major museums.

There aren't many (if any) benches on the sidewalks as a matter of course, but you will find benches in London's many parks and green squares.  And of course you can always sit in a church, including St Paul's Cathedral.  (But if you're doing a tour through the cathedral, you should probably skip the descent down to the crypt; nor will you want to climb the 259 steps up inside the dome to the Whispering Gallery.  Nonetheless, you will certainly get a sense of the building's grandeur by just sitting and looking around--and above--you.)

A tour of the Tower of London will involve a fair amount of walking.  However, there are plenty of benches in the outdoor areas (specifically, Tower Green and under the arches of the South Battlements) within the Tower grounds.  

I just read over all the posts on this thread.  I was not clear about when this cruise is taking place. It is not until April 2020.  It is too early to book our hotel and activities yet, but I like to prepare early and come April will me ready to roll and make reservations.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I have decided to be realistic, thanks to you who have helped pointing out the walking and activity involved in the sights I am interested in.  I have decided that in truth, I will only be able to see in detail one sight.  At this ponit Westminister Abbey has always fascinated me and that is what I have picked. On Saturday we will rent a Black Taxi for touring for 3 to 4 hours. This will be pick us up at our hotel at 8 and end at Westminister Abbey. After our tour will will taxi back to the hotel. Sunday is still up in the air. This leads me to new sets of questions.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Could I please have some suggestions for a non-touring  activity for Sunday?    

It looks like we will be travelling within the city in taxis, so no need to be near Victoria Station. I have become realistic and am now looking for a hotel btwn $200 to $225 per night. Clean. comfortable bed and somewhere to eat within a block from hotel.                                                                                                                               I would love any suggestions of places to stop for a 20 min. or so visit while touring that are not on the usual tour list. What are your favorite places to take visitors to your city? Any other tidbits to share would be wonderful. I am sorry that my original questions have turned into what may seem a lifetime commitment!!!

"We booked an International Friends tour for our return to London. This included stops at Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Windsor. I’m really torn about what to say about this tour. It started out well, even though it took a while to get everyone loaded on the bus. By the end of the day, I was not so impressed.

Our guide, OZ, recommended taking time at the first stop, Salisbury, to walk into the town and purchase a sandwich for later since there would not be a dedicated lunch stop. We took his advice and walked a couple blocks from the cathedral to the shops in town. Salisbury is a cute town, and we chose a sandwich at Greggs and a treat at one of the other little shops. We still had time to see the Magna Carta which was quite interesting, and walk around the Cathedral a bit.

The next stop was Stonehenge. We were having another gorgeous summer day, and I think that makes all the difference. We enjoyed walking all the way around Stonehenge, viewing it from every angle. There is also a gift shop/visitors center but we did not spend a lot of time inside. This was a busy stop, in contrast to quiet Salisbury.

Back on the bus, everyone used the drive to Windsor to eat their lunch. Windsor was a little difficult to navigate with the wheelchair—you need to walk uphill some distance. Once in the castle, attendants would take us to a lift so that was ok. Overall, I think Windsor deserves much more time than we were allowed.

When we met back at the bus, our group was divided based on their hotel in London to make transportation a little more efficient. We stayed on the bus with a few other couples, but others were transferred to vans.

I was very disappointed when we arrived at our drop off in London. The driver did not stop directly in front of our hotel, instead dropping us down the block and on the opposite side of the street. This probably isn’t an issue for most people, but I had to manage Mr. Blue in the wheelchair, 2 large suitcases, & 2 stuffed carry-ons. And I didn’t know where I was going! When Oz saw this was going to be a struggle, and that I was not happy, he actually handed off our large suitcases to a bellman from a different hotel who said he would make sure it got to the Doubletree (our hotel). Thank you, Mr Unknown Bellman, for doing this, but shame on you Oz for passing the buck.

If you are considering using this International Friends tour after your cruise, know it is a very busy day. Different than some tours we took, I did not think they paid much attention to the comfort of the passengers. More than once, we would have to ask the bus driver for air conditioning as he would leave us to sit on the hot bus while he was outside. The guide was knowledgeable, but his delivery of the information was dry. At one point, during a longer driving segment, he fell asleep. And I did not like the way we were dropped at the curb, especially in contrast to the excellent service we received from Smith’s for Airports. If I were to do it over, I would not use International Friends."

The above is from a review I wrote following our August 2017 trip. We are now planning another trip and are definitely not using International Friends.

If you are interested,  you could search my review "British Isles Cruise (long and detailed) August 2017" as it contains other information about touring London that might be helpful from the perspective of traveling with mobility issues?

Bluecruisin ~

I think that rather than hiring a random taxi "for touring 3 to 4 hours," a Blue Badge Tourist Guide would be ideal for you.  Blue Badge Guides are highly knowledgeable and certified; their job (boiled down to its essentials) is to show visitors London, whereas a taxi driver's basic job is to drive customers from one place to another.  I'm not disparaging London taxi drivers by any means; they have all undergone extensive training, not only in driving skills but, just as importantly, in "The Knowledge" of London; but you just never know if you will get a driver who might happen to be grumpy or uncommunicative, or perhaps (on the other hand) too effusively chatty.

A Blue Badge guide will be able to design a custom tour to meet your needs and desires, including taking your mobility restrictions into account.  The Blue Badge Guide website contains all the information you'll need about this service, and you can also use the website to book a guide in advance and let them know your exact requirements:

https://www.guidelondon.org.uk/blue-badge-tourist-guides/

As for hotels:  Since your trip isn't until April 2020, you'll have plenty of time to research various hotels, using Tripadvisor or a similar website.  I also highly recommend buying or borrowing one or more London guidebooks.  (Frommers and Fodors guidebooks contain numerous recommendations and descriptions for hotels in different neighborhoods and in different price ranges.  DK Eyewitness London is also highly recommended, not only for hotel listings but also for its wealth of detailed and well-illustrated information about everything London.)

Late 2019/January 2020 would probably be a good time to narrow down your hotel choices, run them by this forum for any fine-tuning/further advice,a and then make your booking.

11 hours ago, Post Captain said:

Bluecruisin ~

I think that rather than hiring a random taxi "for touring 3 to 4 hours," a Blue Badge Tourist Guide would be ideal for you.  Blue Badge Guides are highly knowledgeable and certified; their job (boiled down to its essentials) is to show visitors London, whereas a taxi driver's basic job is to drive customers from one place to another.  I'm not disparaging London taxi drivers by any means; they have all undergone extensive training, not only in driving skills but, just as importantly, in "The Knowledge" of London; but you just never know if you will get a driver who might happen to be grumpy or uncommunicative, or perhaps (on the other hand) too effusively chatty.

A Blue Badge guide will be able to design a custom tour to meet your needs and desires, including taking your mobility restrictions into account.  The Blue Badge Guide website contains all the information you'll need about this service, and you can also use the website to book a guide in advance and let them know your exact requirements:

https://www.guidelondon.org.uk/blue-badge-tourist-guides/

Hi, Cap'n,

I'm guessing that the OP picked up "black cab tours" on the 'web, rather than simply hailing a cab in the street for a couple of hours.

These are pre-booked and driven  by cabbies and retired cabbies with a bent for this type of work rather than trawling the streets ferrying people from A to B.

Almost certainly more expensive than booking a regular car, but the drivers know what their clients want, the black cabs can make use of their exemptions from some of London's traffic regulations, and what could be more "London" than touring the city in an iconic London taxi 

BTW I,ve driven coach tours of central London for cruise ship and other excursions with Blue Badge guides.

They're certainly extremely knowledgeable but I found them to be very dry - partly cos they are, and partly that's how they're trained and instructed to be.

I prefer the live ho-ho guides - they 're chatty and funny. They don't give all the facts that a Blue Badge does, and doubtless half of what they tell is funny rather than true. But kings and queens and dates go into one ear and out the other.

Each to their own.

Edited by John Bull

JB ~

Ah, yes, I had forgotten about those Black Cab Tours...  That could indeed be just the ticket for the OP.  And their website says that all Black Cab Tours drivers "are fully trained Blue Badge Guides." :classic_wink:

Moreover, Gerald (the gent who heads of the company), as pictured on the BCT website, is wearing my hat. A virtual guarantee of style and wit! :classic_biggrin:

On 2/7/2019 at 9:43 AM, bluecruisin said:

We will arrive in Southampton on a Friday morning and plan on taking a tour with a private company that gets to our hotel in London around 5 pm.  On Saturday, We would like to tour directly thru St. Paul's Cathedral for a 1.5 hour tour, we would arrive via taxi. Afterwards I would like to cab to Harrods as I have always wanted to go and pick up a souvenier or two. Then cab back to hotel for a day of rest. Sunday we would take a half day tour from Victoria Station to Tower of London and Buckingham Palace. Monday morning we will fly home.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I am limited in my mobility due to pain and decreased range of motion.        Some question please.              What moderate priced ( $150) hotel or area should we stay in? We would like a very short walk to get to a cafe or pub.  Are taxis easy to obtain and how pricey?  Anyone who has toured these areas, are these any places to sit for a couple of minutes while walking around the 3 attractions?  Any other information or help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

We are booked into the Premier Inn London Waterloo for our upcoming pre-cruise London stay.  Premier Inn is, I gather, a chain in Britain.  We are paying 410.5 pounds for 4 nights in a basic double room. I picked it because it is right by Waterloo Station which is in the center of a lot of attractions we want to see, and for the location it seemed very reasonable and they had decent reviews in line with what we would expect in this level hotel.

I'll have to defer on the rest of your post as we haven't been yet - we will be there towards the end of April.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:38 PM, bluecruisin said:
  • Thank you both for all your help! Two more (for now) questions. How far are the St. Paul's area and Victoria Station from each other? How far is each one from Heathrow? Thanks again.

Here is a good tip I've found.  If you type in, e.g., 'victoria station to st. paul's' you will get all the info you could hope for.  One of the top results is usually the rome2rio website which will tell you all of the different ways you can get from point A to point B and the cost.  For example, click on this link to see the Victoria Station to St. Paul's options.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/London-Victoria/St-Paul-s-Cathedral

Victoria to St Pauls - the 11 bus covers this.

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/results?JpType=publictransport&InputFrom=Victoria&FromId=1000248&InputTo=St+Paul's+Cathedral&ToId=1012873&Mode=bus

As a Londoner - we allow 1 hour to get anywhere by public transport - traffic can be an absolute nightmare.

48 minutes ago, oufpat said:

Are cabs easily accessible outside of tourist attractions, such as outside St Paul's Cathedral or Westminster Abbey?

Yes.

Outside St Paul's, there's actually a rank on the main road, opposite what is now Coppa Club (but still shows up on Google Street View as Strada). If there aren't any cabs waiting on the rank, stand there and an empty one will stop to pick you up. Or you could just wave excitedly at the next one that you see with its yellow light on.

I can't remember seeing a rank outside Westminster Abbey, but the answer here (as anywhere else) is to flag one down in the street. Availability of cabs is generally very good these days.

10 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

We are booked into the Premier Inn London Waterloo for our upcoming pre-cruise London stay.  Premier Inn is, I gather, a chain in Britain.  We are paying 410.5 pounds for 4 nights in a basic double room. I picked it because it is right by Waterloo Station which is in the center of a lot of attractions we want to see, and for the location it seemed very reasonable and they had decent reviews in line with what we would expect in this level hotel.

I'll have to defer on the rest of your post as we haven't been yet - we will be there towards the end of April.

Premier Inn is a well-respected national budget chain, and at around £100 per night you're getting very good value for that location :classic_smile: