Baby Mama

lyannea

9 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

OP said that

The whole family, including her son. It's not a couple trip, and no,  not every couple wants to cruise without their kids.

Besides, it's for parents to decide whether this trip will benefit the child, and not for random strangers on the internet or Aunt Lyannea.

It is true-

decision “should” be made

by the parents, 

In this case, the mother paid and booked  the cruise and then told the father.

such is life

Father called family member who cruises a lot with ???

Doesn’t change the fact that parents “should” be making the decision 

(In my best Deputy Brenda Johnson voice)

Thank you and happy cruising !

Lyannea

17 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Besides, it's for parents to decide whether this trip will benefit the child, and not for random strangers on the internet or Aunt Lyannea.

Ideally both parents would be involved in the decision, and not just a mother (or father) deciding without first being in agreement with the other - especially when school is involved.

While it is not for random internet strangers or even other non-parental family members to decide, I would hope that seeking advice/opinions from others with possible similar experience would be permitted to help make an informed decision.

@lyannea I am impressed at how calm and civil you have remained throughout this thread.  Obviously none of us know the whole situation, but I do hope an agreement can be made that all parties can agree to (or at least tolerate and remain civil with each other) and will be in the best interests of the child.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Ideally both parents would be involved in the decision, and not just a mother (or father) deciding without first being in agreement with the other - especially when school is involved.

While it is not for random internet strangers or even other non-parental family members to decide, I would hope that seeking advice/opinions from others with possible similar experience would be permitted to help make an informed decision.

@lyannea I am impressed at how calm and civil you have remained throughout this thread.  Obviously none of us know the whole situation, but I do hope an agreement can be made that all parties can agree to (or at least tolerate and remain civil with each other) and will be in the best interests of the child.

Thank you so much for your words

i love cruising

and have learned a lot from cruise critic 

I’ve had to think (myself included) that if I were sitting and having coffee across from  the responders to a thread, how would I act and what would I say 

And what people say (in any thread) 

sometimes says  more about them

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lyannea said:

Thank you so much for your words

i love cruising

and have learned a lot from cruise critic 

I’ve had to think (myself included) that if I were sitting and having coffee across from  the responders to a thread, how would I act and what would I say 

And what people say (in any thread) 

sometimes says  more about them

I think you inadvertently set the stage for the thread going the way it did by adding far more personal info than needed to ask your question.  It really started out as a straightforward document question.  But by including all of the past history - no custody agreement,  missing school,  nephew not consulted, etc. - many people inferred, rightly or wrongly, that you were looking for more than an answer to the document question.  And so they got into the rights and wrongs of the personal situation. 

It is unfortunate, but pretty foreseeable, on an internet message board.  Internet boards bring out the Judge Judy, Dr. Phil, or Dear Abby in some folks.  Maybe all of us at one time or another.  I have a drawer full of tee shirts.  I have my hot buttons.  Lucky for me this isn't one of them, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I think you inadvertently set the stage for the thread going the way it did by adding far more personal info than needed to ask your question.  It really started out as a straightforward document question.  But by including all of the past history - no custody agreement,  missing school,  nephew not consulted, etc. - many people inferred, rightly or wrongly, that you were looking for more than an answer to the document question.  And so they got into the rights and wrongs of the personal situation. 

It is unfortunate, but pretty foreseeable, on an internet message board.  Internet boards bring out the Judge Judy, Dr. Phil, or Dear Abby in some folks.  Maybe all of us at one time or another.  I have a drawer full of tee shirts.  I have my hot buttons.  Lucky for me this isn't one of them, LOL.

You are absolutely right !

i addressed this very point in post # 28

if we could all be so perfect-

Agreed

thank you,

Lyannea

• Like 1

Usually I would not comment on something like this because there are too many "experts" adding their two cents.

I have been thru the exact same scenario as described by the OP.  The facts are as follows.

1. Federal law governs a child who is a US citizen being removed from US territory for any reason, temporary or permanent.

2. There is no formal custody agreement. Therefore, under Federal law BOTH parents have equal custody rights where international travel is concerned.

3. The Father has every legal right to deny permission for his child to be removed from US territory.  (note,  I did not say he should, only that he has the right to.)

4. If the Father denies permission and the mother tries to remove the child from US territory anyway he simply has to inform  authorities at the port of departure.  The mother and child will be denied boarding.

Now, before all the "experts" start throwing rocks,  We have been thru this exact situation,  including lawyers, courts, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully Mom and Dad can have a productive discussion and resolve this without acrimony. 

I did take my children out of school for travel 

in elementary school and in high school. 

I got permission from the schools and some assignments to be turned in when they returned. 

They had been in school with their classmates so had no problems, and they picked right up on the class work. 

I’m not saying every parent should do it, but my grandchildren are being raised the same way. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, crazyank said:

Usually I would not comment on something like this because there are too many "experts" adding their two cents.

I have been thru the exact same scenario as described by the OP.  The facts are as follows.

1. Federal law governs a child who is a US citizen being removed from US territory for any reason, temporary or permanent.

2. There is no formal custody agreement. Therefore, under Federal law BOTH parents have equal custody rights where international travel is concerned.

3. The Father has every legal right to deny permission for his child to be removed from US territory.  (note,  I did not say he should, only that he has the right to.)

4. If the Father denies permission and the mother tries to remove the child from US territory anyway he simply has to inform  authorities at the port of departure.  The mother and child will be denied boarding.

Now, before all the "experts" start throwing rocks,  We have been thru this exact situation,  including lawyers, courts, etc.

Thank you so much for your reply. Really helps !

Lyannea