Staterooms on Mariner

Starmon

From the responses apparently a lot of other people also don't like the tub/shower combo on the Mariner.  I've been on other ships that have a separate tub and shower option that is no problem.  And yes, probably 95-100% of the time I prefer a shower (100% of the time in the morning).  Not once however did I feel like climbing into the combo unit in the morning.

That said, there are time in the afternoon/evening where a warm bath can be very nice, especially if a gin/tonic or a cold beer is close at hand.  

On our last "late" booking, cabins with the tub/shower combo were the only option.  I now assume previous Mariner cruisers take this into consideration when booking.  My unofficial count of the cabins with the tub/shower combo number has changed from 116 to 138 on the Mariner.   My old eyes have a hard time counting the (*) on the Regent deck plan that indicate shower only.  Since the total cabin number is 350, subtracting 138 means that there are 212 shower only cabins.  

Even at the top cabin level, the deck plans show some cabins with a tub option.  Whether some or all of those top of the top have the tub/shower combo or more likely, a separate shower and tub can not be determined, but I find it hard to believe those Seven Seas and up suites have the combo unit.  

All my cabin numbers are from the Regent website that shows deck layouts and perhaps some of these layouts are out of date.

Seven Seas suites (both types) on Mariner do have either shower only or the bathtub/shower combo.  Mariner, Grand and Master suites have a separate bathtub and shower.

I gave my opinion of regular suites on Mariner (🛀 - where is the thumbs down emoji when you need it?) On the other hand, I think that the PH, Seven Seas Aft and Grand suites are wonderful (except for the closet and some of the bathrooms).  

Edited by Travelcat2

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Seven Seas suites (both types) on Mariner do have either shower only or the bathtub/shower combo.  Mariner, Grand and Master suites have a separate bathtub and shower.

I'll try to remember that next time I win the Super Lotto and book a cruise a UPPER class cabin on the Mariner.

Starmon,

Interesting that you counted the tub/shower rooms and the number went up. I was told somewhere that Regent was gradually getting rid of them. Sounds like I was told wrong. Not all tub/shower setups on ships or in hotel rooms are bad. Some are spacious and easy to use. But (as I have posted before for 17 years) those combos on the Mariner have three problems for me. For some unknown reason  the tubs in the Mariner "basic" suite levels is set on a floor area that is raised about 6" with no step-up so that the tub floor is maybe 8" higher than the bathroom floor. Some find it difficult to enter the tub with that setup. Also, due to the raised tub bottom, there is only 6'2" headroom while standing for a shower. I'm a short little guy (5'8") but I keep hitting my hands on the ceiling while washing hair. (I measured all these dimensions onboard.)  And while I didn't measure it, the tub seems shorter and more narrow than standard tubs in homes in the US. obviously, there are those who prefer the combo to shower only in the lower level rooms. But I think most will agree that the combo could have been designed better.

2 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

But (as I have posted before for 17 years) those combos on the Mariner have three problems for me.  .............. obviously, there are those who prefer the combo to shower only in the lower level rooms. But I think most will agree that the combo could have been designed better.

That is why many were replaced (some time ago) with large walk-in showers, but leaving some tub/shower combos for those who prefer them.