Wheelchair vs scooter questions

bay guy

My wife has developed some heart problems which have required us to rent a wheelchair on board for the last couple of cruises we went on. She can walk short distances at a slow pace and, on some days, which are becoming less frequent, can actually walk a lap around the promenade deck. On a recent trip, we had the airlines use their wheelchair assistants to get her to the gate areas and to the end of the ramps.

I have no trouble pushing her around the ship or on shore, with good sidewalks, in the wheelchair. However, if we go ashore for an excursion or just to look around, we often find that the streets and sidewalks are so bumpy that she gets a sore back from the jolts. Soft surface, such as gravel paths are tough with a wheelchair. Does the scooter do OK with these surfaces?

I'm wondering if a scooter would be easier and more comfortable for her to use and be able to go independently to ship functions when I want to do something different.

A few questions: 1) Is it difficult to take a scooter on a plane? Can you bring the scooter to the gate and gate check it without having to worry too much about getting it back undamaged and in a timely manner so you can make a connecting flight. Is there a problem with TSA security getting a scooter through the checkpoints?

2) Since lithium batteries are used in the scooters, I assume that you have to carry them on into the passenger compartment versus leaving them with the scooter to go into the cargo hold. Correct or not? If correct, do the airlines count them as part of your carry on allowance?

3) Do the scooters tend to ride more smoothly on sidewalks and other uneven surfaces with less jolting than a wheelchair?

4) For you seasoned travelers who use these assistance devices, is it easier for you to use a wheelchair or scooter, assuming you have someone who can push a wheelchair for you?

Any other suggestions you can make are greatly appreciated. Being new to this, I'm sure that I'm not thinking of all the right questions to ask.

14 hours ago, bay guy said:

My wife has developed some heart problems which have required us to rent a wheelchair on board for the last couple of cruises we went on. She can walk short distances at a slow pace and, on some days, which are becoming less frequent, can actually walk a lap around the promenade deck. On a recent trip, we had the airlines use their wheelchair assistants to get her to the gate areas and to the end of the ramps.

I have no trouble pushing her around the ship or on shore, with good sidewalks, in the wheelchair. However, if we go ashore for an excursion or just to look around, we often find that the streets and sidewalks are so bumpy that she gets a sore back from the jolts. Soft surface, such as gravel paths are tough with a wheelchair. Does the scooter do OK with these surfaces?

I'm wondering if a scooter would be easier and more comfortable for her to use and be able to go independently to ship functions when I want to do something different.

A few questions: 1) Is it difficult to take a scooter on a plane? Can you bring the scooter to the gate and gate check it without having to worry too much about getting it back undamaged and in a timely manner so you can make a connecting flight. Is there a problem with TSA security getting a scooter through the checkpoints?

2) Since lithium batteries are used in the scooters, I assume that you have to carry them on into the passenger compartment versus leaving them with the scooter to go into the cargo hold. Correct or not? If correct, do the airlines count them as part of your carry on allowance?

3) Do the scooters tend to ride more smoothly on sidewalks and other uneven surfaces with less jolting than a wheelchair?

4) For you seasoned travelers who use these assistance devices, is it easier for you to use a wheelchair or scooter, assuming you have someone who can push a wheelchair for you?

Any other suggestions you can make are greatly appreciated. Being new to this, I'm sure that I'm not thinking of all the right questions to ask.

1)  DH traveled with his scooter for the last few years.  We have had absolutely no issues with gate checking the scooter or with TSA.  Be certain to alert your airline prior to arriving at the airport.

2)  If the scooter you have has lithium batteries (not all do), then you will need to carry them onto the plane with you.  As part of an assistance device, they do NOT count toward your carry on allowance.

3)  I'm afraid I can't be of much help here.

4)  DH loves the independence that his scooter provides.  We are not always joined at the hip on board, as we often want to do different activities.  With a wheelchair, he would feel bad that I couldn't go do my own thing because I would have to push him.

Because I can only walk short distances with a walker and full leg brace.  I travel with a scooter because it gives me an independence that a wheel chair doesn't.

1). I have no trouble getting through TSA. Because I am in a scooter, I am taken around the security device through a gate and a female TSA person checks me out.  I ride my scooter to the entrance of the airplane and then walk into the plane.  The scooter is then put in cargo and return to the jetway shortly after the plane arrives at the gate.  Like luggage, I am sure that take the best care they can with the scooter.   They do an inspection of the scooter, note any scratches etc. and attach the inspection to the scooter.  If there is something wrong (one time a knob was broken off) they will take care of the problem.

2) Not all scooters have lithium batteries.   I travel with a Go-Go Elite Traveller® 3-Wheel Scooter which has gel cell dry batteries which stay with the scooter when it is put in cargo.

3) In my opinion, riding in the scooter is more comfortable than being in a wheelchair.  A lot depends on the terrain.

4) Regarding using the scooter or wheelchair, my preference is a scooter because it is so much easier to navigate through the ship.  Wheelchairs often have problems going over the metal plate between the doors and over carpets.  Since I rarely can take excursions through the cruise ship, I have found there are times I need to have a wheel chair as the private tours can not always handle a scooter.  In those cases, the cruise line has let me us one of their wheelchairs. 

I hope this helps!!!

What my husband and I do on cruises is take his wheelchair (which is actually a transport chair).   That way we have it at the airport, we check it at the airplane door and pick it up right when we exit the plane (you can have the airport wheelchair pushers push it if you want, just tell them you need someone to push but you have your own wheelchair).   The wheelchair folds up easily and has always fit in the back of a taxi for the ride to the cruise port.

And on the ship itself, we rent a scooter that is waiting for him in our stateroom.  So we actually have his wheelchair (folded up) and the scooter in the room (if you get a scooter you may need an accessible room to get it through the door).  He loves the scooter and zips all over the ship with it and on and off the ship at ports.  The scooter is a nice ride but you do have to be aware of little curbs and imperfections in the walkways.   He actually fell over on his rental scooter one time in St Maarten because he did not realize there was a small curb. 

Another benefit to also having the wheelchair is that there are more options for shore excursions.   The wheelchair can be folded up and stowed in the tour vehicle which cannot always accommodate a scooter. 

You might go to a mobility store and have your wife take a test ride to see how the scooters operate and see how she likes them.  

My husband was kicking and screaming about trying out a scooter in a mobility store  because he was not going to use one.   After he tried one out he thought maybe it would be OK.   So we rented one for our next cruise and he has never looked back.  It has made a world of difference in our enjoyment and his freedom.  

We have spent enough money on scooter rentals to buy a few of them but this is what works best for our situation.

If you consider renting, check with your cruise line to see which rental company they work with and then go to the rental company's website and see what they offer for scooters and you can also price the rental on line. 

On 2/11/2019 at 4:36 PM, bay guy said:

A few questions: 1) Is it difficult to take a scooter on a plane? No. 

Can you bring the scooter to the gate and gate check it   Yes  

without having to worry too much about getting it back undamaged and in a timely manner so you can make a connecting flight.  maybe.   it takes time for them to access the gate checked items so you may be one of the last off the plane

Is there a problem with TSA security getting a scooter through the checkpoints? depending on airport there may or may not be a separate line for those with mobility aids.  as a general rule  if she can stand and walk through the scanner,it's better 

2) Since lithium batteries are used in the scooters, I assume that you have to carry them on into the passenger compartment versus leaving them with the scooter to go into the cargo hold. Correct or not? believe so

If correct, do the airlines count them as part of your carry on allowance?  Nope.   you may also  check a scooter into  regular baggage  as well with no impact on your allowance

3) Do the scooters tend to ride more smoothly on sidewalks and other uneven surfaces with less jolting than a wheelchair? not necessarily.  not all ECVs are the same

4) For you seasoned travelers who use these assistance devices, is it easier for you to use a wheelchair or scooter, assuming you have someone who can push a wheelchair for you? for me, personally, I can only use a WC.   the ECV is too difficult to operate  with my particular set of issues.  

she can get a cushion to  sit in to alleviate chair butt.  I have a nice 3 inch gel cushion.   I have also seen 4 and 5 inches.  both memory foam and gel.  they also make  full size cushions like you would find on your nice wooden patio furniture that offers back support as well.  you can  see about modifying the back wheels to be larger to handle softer terrain.  

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, bay guy said:

You can either gate check, or oversize luggage check it.  On international trips, we use a travel scooter that folds up into a overweight luggage piece, and check to final destination where we get it at the oversize luggage claim.  For domestic, we gate check it.  No issues with TSA.  Connecting flights, make sure you have 2 hours.  Undamaged?  It will get dinged up sometimes.

Not all scooters have detachable batteries.  Not all scooters have lithium.  Mine uses both and I have both.  However, internationally, I will not travel or attempt to travel with the lithium battery pack.  It requires too many questions, and one time, it was sent 5 times through an x-ray, and 3 different people examining it.  Never again. Now I travel with only my dry cell's and I have a back up pack. 

No, you go faster, so the bumps are faster!  Unless you get a full sized wheelchair, with shock absorbers, the answer is not, it is bumpy. 

Travel all over the world with a travel scooter.  We often walk several miles a day, and I am not going to push my wife that many miles!!!!!  The right scooter makes life easy.

Different scooters are for different purposes.  We travel with a Tzora Elite travel scooter.  It serves our traveling needs.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:20 AM, sailingmickey said:

Because I can only walk short distances with a walker and full leg brace.  I travel with a scooter because it gives me an independence that a wheel chair doesn't.

1). I have no trouble getting through TSA. Because I am in a scooter, I am taken around the security device through a gate and a female TSA person checks me out.  I ride my scooter to the entrance of the airplane and then walk into the plane.  The scooter is then put in cargo and return to the jetway shortly after the plane arrives at the gate.  Like luggage, I am sure that take the best care they can with the scooter.   They do an inspection of the scooter, note any scratches etc. and attach the inspection to the scooter.  If there is something wrong (one time a knob was broken off) they will take care of the problem.

2) Not all scooters have lithium batteries.   I travel with a Go-Go Elite Traveller® 3-Wheel Scooter which has gel cell dry batteries which stay with the scooter when it is put in cargo.

3) In my opinion, riding in the scooter is more comfortable than being in a wheelchair.  A lot depends on the terrain.

4) Regarding using the scooter or wheelchair, my preference is a scooter because it is so much easier to navigate through the ship.  Wheelchairs often have problems going over the metal plate between the doors and over carpets.  Since I rarely can take excursions through the cruise ship, I have found there are times I need to have a wheel chair as the private tours can not always handle a scooter.  In those cases, the cruise line has let me us one of their wheelchairs. 

I hope this helps!!!

My experiences have been different.  On a flight to Singapore, my scooter was not waiting for me on arrival.  If fact no one knew where it was and advised me to walk all the way to baggage claim to find it.

On another occassion,  my collapsible scooter was not rolled around on it's wheels.  Instead, it was dragged upside down across a rough (probably concrete) surface causing extensive damage to the console, instruments, and an expensive bell.  The finish was also severly scraped.

My airline tried to say that it was previously damaged but could provide no evidence of such.  I asked why they had not noted any damage prior to accepting the scooter.  Since they did not do a pre-acceptance inspection they could provide no answer to the question.

Ironically, one of their counter employees noted that the condition of the scooter "looked new".

And on arrival, the pilot of the flight exited the plane and could not believe the damage to my scooter when he saw me trying to deal with the problem.

I filed a formal complaint and after many months of hassle, the airline finally paid for the damages and the airline was gigged  fort the damage.

2 hours ago, 1980dory said:

My experiences have been different.  On a flight to Singapore, my scooter was not waiting for me on arrival.  If fact no one knew where it was and advised me to walk all the way to baggage claim to find it.

On another occassion,  my collapsible scooter was not rolled around on it's wheels.  Instead, it was dragged upside down across a rough (probably concrete) surface causing extensive damage to the console, instruments, and an expensive bell.  The finish was also severly scraped.

My airline tried to say that it was previously damaged but could provide no evidence of such.  I asked why they had not noted any damage prior to accepting the scooter.  Since they did not do a pre-acceptance inspection they could provide no answer to the question.

Ironically, one of their counter employees noted that the condition of the scooter "looked new".

And on arrival, the pilot of the flight exited the plane and could not believe the damage to my scooter when he saw me trying to deal with the problem.

I filed a formal complaint and after many months of hassle, the airline finally paid for the damages and the airline was gigged  fort the damage.

This has happened to me twice with my wheelchair. On both occasions it eventually turned up, but it’s made for a very stressful few hours - especially given both times have been at the start of a holiday, in an overseas country (at home would be bad enough, as I can’t get more than a few steps without it, but at least here I know where I can source one temporarily). 

I’ve never had damage to the extent that you’ve experienced, but I’ve also never yet had my chair make it through a flight without some minor damage. Having seen how it’s handled when unloaded, I’m not surprised at all that equipment gets damaged. May not be an option for some devices - certainly wouldn’t be for scooters or power chairs - or on narrow body aircraft, but I discovered when flying Australia - UK that the wide body aircraft have a smallish cupboard that is usually kept free for folding pushers or mobility equipment. Use seems to be at the discretion of the senior flight crew and comes on a first in, best dressed basis, but you can request that your gear be put in there and carried in the cabin rather than the hold.

To the OP - I’d always opt for my wheelchair, as it’s much lighter and more maneuverable than a scooter, and because I use my chair all the time, it makes sense for me to have the “add on” bits to make life easier - so I have a power assist device to help with the very steep hills around where I live, I have a ‘freewheel’ to give me a smooth run over poor terrain, etc. But there are wheelchairs and wheelchairs; off the shelf chairs tend to be very uncomfortable, and also (as a user) much harder to propel; they also (not always, but usually) tend to be a lot heavier and less ‘tippy’ - which is good if you don’t want to accidentally spill someone out onto the road somewhere, but it does make for a lot more work if you find you’re having to jump up/down kerbs, or a step into a shop doorway, or whatever. 

If your wife doesn’t already have something to use at home, I’d strongly suggest doing a short term hire of different devices to see what she is most comfortable in. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to this board. I'm still more confused now than ever before as to which to buy a scooter or the powered wheelchair. I have a friend who has used the scooter and in now in the powered wheelchair and she recommends the fold and go powered wheelchair. She states that it doesn't tip as easy as the scooters. I don't need for everyday use as I can get around on my own without help, it is distance as I have arthritis and a diabetic as well as bad knees and need for distance. I'm very overweight near 300 so any advice is welcome. I know if I lose weight I could would or could look at the fold and go scooters. Thank in advance.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:36 PM, bay guy said:

Yes, it is not a problem.  At least not in the U.S. and some of the more responsible airlines for international travel.

My wife uses a transportable motorized wheelchair that uses a Lithium battery. With the exception of China Airlines, the battery has always remained with the chair in transit.

Unless your assistive device has shock absorbers, you'll feel the bumps with both.

Wheelchairs turn a tighter radius.  Motorized wheelchairs use separate motors for the left and right drive wheels enabling much more agility in maneuvering crowded areas.  Scooters are cumbersome and inconsiderate passengers will often leave them sitting in the hallways outside of their staterooms, blocking the hallways.  I have moved a few of them (yes, I know how to move them without the key) so that my wife could go by in her wheelchair.   Both scooters and wheelchairs will fit through the doorways of ADA accessible staterooms.

On 2/23/2019 at 5:08 PM, 1980dory said:

We also experienced the same thing in Singapore.  When we got down to baggage claim, we saw a female baggage handler struggling to try and push the wheelchair with the wheels locked.  I screamed "Stop!" very loudly across the room and she stopped.  Fortunately, the only damage that was sustained was a bent bolt.  We filed a claim immediately and received a repair authorization.  (Changi airport in Singapore uses a centralized damage claim area for all of the airlines, so you don't have to deal with the excuses/lies from the airline employees.  You should not deal with airline employees in Singapore.)

We are also wondering about a scooter on board. My husband has a scooter but we have not cruised for 3 years due to his sudden ill health. We are just doing a 7 day cruise from Southampton to see how it goes. He can walk for short distances but cannot stand and struggles to do anything physical for very long.  We never thought we'd be able to cruise again and I am hoping all goes ok. Any tips or advice please?

18 hours ago, G & T for me said:

We are also wondering about a scooter on board. My husband has a scooter but we have not cruised for 3 years due to his sudden ill health. We are just doing a 7 day cruise from Southampton to see how it goes. He can walk for short distances but cannot stand and struggles to do anything physical for very long.  We never thought we'd be able to cruise again and I am hoping all goes ok. Any tips or advice please?

I think it's wonderful you are going to do this.   My husband cannot stand for any length of time or walk any distance.  A scooter has been the best thing he's ever had on a ship.   We do not have one of our own, we rent one for his use on the cruise.  If it wasn't for the scooter, he would be sitting in the stateroom.   He was kicking and screaming about the thought of using a scooter and was not going to do it, no matter what.   I said let's rent one just to see (he had tried them out at a mobility store) and if you don't like it, we won't do it again.   Well, he can't wait to get on the ship and get his scooter.   He has never looked back.

All the ship personnel are very helpful.   They will assist getting the scooter up and down the gangplank when getting on/off the ship.   He can drive the scooter to the dining room table (or very close) and the waiter will whisk it away until the meal is over.   

Let your cruise line know your husband will be bringing a scooter; they will probably  have him complete an accessibility form.   And look into getting an accessible room, if you haven't done so already.   He cannot leave the scooter in the hall.  

And when you are waiting to get on an elevator that has room enough for the scooter, get on one that is going either direction.  Even if it's going the wrong way, once you're on it, you will always get to your floor.   Oh, and you might think about something else to do for a while after the muster drill because it takes forever to get an elevator.

I'm the original poster and wanted to thank everyone for the great information. We recently took a flight to Dallas to visit our daughter. Knowing that we would be doing some things that would require a wheelchair after we arrived, we purchased a transport wheelchair along with a bag to ship it in after it was collapsed. We used the special assistance services provided through the airline, American, in the airports to get to gates and baggage claim and checked the chair through with our luggage. 

The airline did  great job coordinating things for us and it was easier for us to check the chair as baggage versus trying to take our chair to the gate and gate check it.

Other passengers were very helpful and couldn't have been nicer to us.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:23 PM, G & T for me said:

If you are hiring a scooter try Mobility at Sea, http://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/cruise-hire 

If you are taking your own scooter will it fit through the cabin door? 

We use Mobility at Sea, to hire a hoist, and have not had any problems with them, up to date.

Edited by Bloodgem
Adding extra info.

6 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

If you are hiring a scooter try Mobility at Sea, http://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/cruise-hire 

If you are taking your own scooter will it fit through the cabin door? 

We use Mobility at Sea, to hire a hoist, and have not had any problems with them, up to date.

If you rent a scooter, check with your cruise line to be sure the company you are renting from is allowed access.   For instance, Norwegian Cruise Lines states on its website:

"Please note that Scootaround is the exclusive supplier for Norwegian Cruise Line and other vendors will not have access to Norwegian ships."