Best Time To Cruise the Med ? June or September

cruisingforsix

September will have far fewer families with kids cruising which can be a plus for many. May is also a great time to cruise the Med. (I’ve done May cruises in the Med over the past 2 years) Temperatures are perfect for touring and the tourist crowds haven’t started yet, plus many things are in bloom.

• Like 1

In our experience with both cruising and land stays you will find June ‘greener’ and generally more reliably sunnier than September. Both areas, however, are just outside peak season. For us this ‘greener’ is noticeable if you are cruising the Eastern Mediterranean (Greece, Greek Islands)  less so for Italy, France and Spain.

However, the first two weeks of June are school holidays in certain areas of Europe whereas after the first week of September you will only see preschool aged children in the Mediterranean.

Again, one can only talk about personal experience....  if you are looking at a Western Mediterranean (Rome, Naples,Barcelona...) there really isn’t much difference but if you are looking at Eastern Mediterranean...Greek Islands, you will find them ‘fresher’ in June than later in the year...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, portcbob said:

Have cruised twice in the med, both times late may into early June and the weather has been perfect. The crowds were not to bad either.

definitely look at say mid may onwards.

cheers Bob. 

agreed! We have also done the Med in both months

and prefer mid - May early June to September

• Like 1

Both months are perfect in the Med. The temperatures are similar.

For me, I prefer September. I like to visit beaches and the sea is much warmer then after several months of sun on it. In June the water has not had much time to get warm

June, of course, you get much lighter evenings, light until almost 10pm. So that may also be something to consider.

Have fun 

• Like 1

I have always sailed the western Med in September. I find it just great. I did a week in Cannes once in early July and the beaches were much busier with plenty of families and teens. I prefer a quieter time 🙂 Again the number of people visiting the more touristy sites is more manageable too. 

We're about to do our third Med cruise and all have been in May.......warm temps, no kids, little rain.  However, my second choice would be September for the same reasons, except there is more rain in September.  June starts to get too hot for us.