Can you bring more wine or soda on at ports?

Carnival's policy is that you can't bring alcohol purchased in port to your cabin.  You turn it in just past security and you get it either the last night of the cruise or the next morning.  You can bring soda, as long as it's in cans.

• Like 1

Ports of Call
All alcohol purchased in ports will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation for cruise durations 5 days and less; for cruise durations 6 days and more, alcohol will be delivered to guest staterooms after 7:00pm, the evening prior to debarkation (some exceptions may apply).

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard as well as Carnival branded bottled water previously purchased onboard. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/kw/Beverage

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

Thank you. So a 12 pack of soda per person appears to be okay based on this. Do they enforce the alcohol rule for ports?  Because I think Princess had the same rules officially, but they never made us turn it over at any of the ports.

In my cruises, they have enforced the alcohol rule and you collect it at the end of the cruise or gets delivered depending on the cruise.  Soda you can replenish.  

• Like 1

On our first cruise to the Bahamas we bought a bottle of rum at the local rum distillery.  When we got back on the ship no-one said or took anything, and I just carried it back to our cabin not even thinking about it.

Maybe because we had the Cheers! package they knew we wouldn't be drinking the souvenir rum, and if we did, it was saving them money?  Because the whole point of taking away the booze is to make you buy on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ericas85 said:

So if we are in any port we actually can get another 12 pack of sodas to bring onboard?  

Ports of Call
All alcohol purchased in ports will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation for cruise durations 5 days and less; for cruise durations 6 days and more, alcohol will be delivered to guest staterooms after 7:00pm, the evening prior to debarkation (some exceptions may apply).

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard as well as Carnival branded bottled water previously purchased onboard. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Edited by ElCrappyTan

You can easily sneak a few of the 50ml bottles through in your pockets. Generally the 750ml and greater bottles are harder to sneak in. That being said, as ProgRockCruiser stated, he was able to get his by. This can happen sometimes when everyone is trying to get back on the ship at the same time especially close to back on board time, when people are able to sneak by the collection table, employees overseeing the scanners are not paying attention, more attention is being paid to getting everyone on board versus what they are bringing on, etc. It's rare, so if you are hoping to get it to your room, hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Edited by ElCrappyTan

• 3 years later...
On 2/13/2019 at 8:59 AM, ElCrappyTan said:

Ports of Call

Does anyone know if this policy is still in place? The first part (about alcohol purchased in port) is still listed, but nothing is mentioned about sodas. https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=2633

Edited by ctlyf
add link to policy

PSA/PITA: seems checked alcohol purchases are no longer delivered to cabin on last night, must be picked up in lounge 6:00-8:00am debarkation morning. Big fun repacking in checked luggage for those flying.

13 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Just to clarify a point.  Other lines allow you to bring wine aboard if you pay a corkage fee, usually $15/bottle.  I’ve never known Carnival to allow that but I’m just checking since so many things have changed.

Allowed one 750ml bottle of wine/champagne per adult. Carnival policy is also a $15 corkage fee in MDR; however, they have never charged me the corkage fee the few times our bottles made it to the MDR. Guess the waitstaff want to stay on our good side. We usually open/drink in private but sometimes will bring a bottle to share with new friends.

19 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Just to clarify a point.  Other lines allow you to bring wine aboard if you pay a corkage fee, usually $15/bottle.  I’ve never known Carnival to allow that but I’m just checking since so many things have changed.

Carnival may or may not charge a corkage fee if you bring a bottle into the MDR or any other restaurant onboard and they "serve it". Simply brining the bottle onboard does not incur the corkage fee..say if you drink it in your cabin. Our experience bringing wine to dinner has been mostly no corkage fee, except for the steakhouse...they seem to be more "strict".

I know you can bring two bottles for cabin consumption, I’m referring to bring it from another port and paying corkage to bring it onto the ship.  This is particularly desirable on European cruises where you can purchase local wines.  Just wondering if anything had changed.

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I know you can bring two bottles for cabin consumption, I’m referring to bring it from another port and paying corkage to bring it onto the ship.  This is particularly desirable on European cruises where you can purchase local wines.  Just wondering if anything had changed.

On European cruises we were able to simply carry on any 'wine' we purchased (not sure about liquor ) and bring it to our cabins - no corkage fee involved (unless of course you brought it a dining venue - but then not always the case either as mentioned above!).

On 2/13/2019 at 9:00 AM, ProgRockCruiser said:

On our first cruise to the Bahamas we bought a bottle of rum at the local rum distillery.  When we got back on the ship no-one said or took anything, and I just carried it back to our cabin not even thinking about it.

Maybe because we had the Cheers! package they knew we wouldn't be drinking the souvenir rum, and if we did, it was saving them money?  Because the whole point of taking away the booze is to make you buy on board.

Security won't know if you had CHEERS or not. 

On 2/12/2019 at 7:14 PM, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

Thank you. So a 12 pack of soda per person appears to be okay based on this. Do they enforce the alcohol rule for ports?  Because I think Princess had the same rules officially, but they never made us turn it over at any of the ports.

In my experience, they don't really enforce the alcohol rule. On my past several cruises, I have bought at least one bottle of rum while at a port. The same thing happens every time. I put the rum in my backpack and send it through the x-ray machine. Once it's scanned, the security officer at the end of the x-ray conveyor tells me to check it at the table where they are collecting alcohol. I smile and nod, put my backpack on and walk past the table to the elevators and take the rum up to my room.

Now, I have never actually opened any of the rum I've bought on the ship. It always just sits on the desk until we debark and head home. I know this is technically breaking a rule, but the spirit of the rule is to keep people from drinking their own booze on board. The only reason I break it is so that I don't have to bother with picking it up on debarkation morning. If they still delivered it to your stateroom on the final night, I'd gladly surrender it though.

• Like 1

In European ports, wine and liquors are allowed to be brought onboard in ports.  We brought wine and Limoncello in Italy, and it was not confiscated. In the Caribbean, they will have a table set up, requiring you to turn in your alcohol purchases from port.  If the staff is busy, usually nothing is said if you skip the table.